Spam Threads

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 am

They are spamming faster than I can clean them up now. Really. Been at it an hour, number of open spam tabs has not decreased one bit. Hovering at 100. Knowing that each contains about 10 spam messages from three different accounts. Fun.

I have only one choice right how:
I ban all spam-popular mail services. That would be
gmail.com
mail.ru
hotmail.com
As of now. I realize this effectively disables new user creation, but so be it.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 am

Well, it's not like we're that fond of new users anyway. :P
DHKold
level1
level1

Postby DHKold » Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:Well, it's not like we're that fond of new users anyway. :P

But we've all been new user at some point.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

This is not an action to take lightly. Have you at least run this by IV first? Forum access is very crucial right now for the alpha.

If possible make it possible to sign up when you have an alpha code. That's the main thing I think, and even though we'll definitely lose a lot, at least we won't lose that.

For a more realistic future plan though, I'm sure there's SOME way to allow the userbase (hand-picked if needed be) to moderate new users, but that would probably require heavy modding which with this forum would probably require not a tiny headache, so overall it might be best to switch to phpBB 3... *sigh*

fuck spam. seriously.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 pm

NeatNit wrote:This is not an action to take lightly. Have you at least run this by IV first?
In the universe where I took that choice, you were unable to find this thread to post about it. It was that bad. No, I did not run it by them first. There was no time. In retrospect, I should probably have saved a screenshot, but again, no time for that.
I informed them now (as I have access to my home email address again).

The only viable alternative to the mail ban (using the current installation) that I can see right now would be to close the Lounge/News/Blog forums. Most spam posts landed there, *maybe* the bots that try to post there first give up instead of searching for other subforums to pester. This would leave the PA forums fully operational for the alphas.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed May 22, 2013 7:35 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:The only viable alternative to the mail ban (using the current installation) that I can see right now would be to close the Lounge/News/Blog forums. Most spam posts landed there, *maybe* the bots that try to post there first give up instead of searching for other subforums to pester. This would leave the PA forums fully operational for the alphas.
That would never work though. You know it wouldn't, don't fool yourself. It's going to take them a total of AT MOST one day to shift it all to usable subforums.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm

You are probably right, but it is a risk I'd be willing to take if IV deems the PA forums full operation more important than this general chatter here. Keep in mind, they're bots (and definitely, today's huge wave was pure bots. The same message in the same thread five times repeated and things like that.) They do not always do the smartest thing.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed May 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Which is why I gave them a day and not ten minutes. You know it's true, it's happened time and time again.

Some less-harsh things to try when possible: (again I don't know how much modding they require)
Block the same IP from registering more than twice [per week/month]
New users can only post once, after their first post they have to wait 24 hours until they can post again (this time for good, normal user)

Think that has potential?

Edit: or we could try one of xkcd's approaches :)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 pm

I can promise you that every alternative that has been suggested has either been tried and failed miserably or brings with it some technical complications that require time and specific access to accomodate. Admins and IV are currently discussing further actions and we hope to fix this as quickly as possible. Until then it's just not going to help to discuss this in this topic since it won't speed up that process (although of course we appreciate the shared concern).

---

Great Magical Hat: you've somehow managed to ignore the point I made with my post, which is "it works". The increased threshold for legitimate users introduced by complicated CAPTCHAs aside (and as anyone familiar with the phrase "conversion rate" can tell you, it lowers registration numbers - a phenomenon known in this context as 'false positives') there is just no advantage to increasing the complexity of the registration process for legitimate users when there is an effective solution which doesn't require that. Nothing in your post makes a point addressing that.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 pm

jelco wrote:I can promise you that every alternative that has been suggested has either been tried and failed miserably or brings with it some technical complications that require time and specific access to accomodate. Admins and IV are currently discussing further actions and we hope to fix this as quickly as possible. Until then it's just not going to help to discuss this in this topic since it won't speed up that process (although of course we appreciate the shared concern).

---

Great Magical Hat: you've somehow managed to ignore the point I made with my post, which is "it works". The increased threshold for legitimate users introduced by complicated CAPTCHAs aside (and as anyone familiar with the phrase "conversion rate" can tell you, it lowers registration numbers - a phenomenon known in this context as 'false positives') there is just no advantage to increasing the complexity of the registration process for legitimate users when there is an effective solution which doesn't require that. Nothing in your post makes a point addressing that.

Jelco

This.
-Vic
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 am

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What they say.

Also, pleasepleaseplease: do not reply to spam with "Spam". Especially not "lol, spam" (That last one hasn't happened lately, you can tell because there were no "accidental" bans of legitimate users). That does not help; rather, it potentially cloaks the spam. If you feel like it, send me or Jelco collections of links with threads containing spam. I usually do my cleaning sweep before I look at any of those, but it's super quick and easy to then open all your links in new tabs and check whether I got them all.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat May 25, 2013 10:04 am

whatever's currently on clearly not working.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Sat May 25, 2013 3:22 pm

jelco wrote:Great Magical Hat: you've somehow managed to ignore the point I made with my post, which is "it works".

Nope I didn't. As I tried to make clear in my last post, I was picky about the choice of the word 'proper'. I never questioned that it would work. And in case that wasn't clear I even said that I don't think it's a "lacking solution in theory", but I would say it's not optimal (or proper) either.

It may not have been too clear, but I stopped making a case for upgrading not too long after you mentioned your solution. I know little about StopForumSpam, so there is little I can say about it, but it does look like it may well be easier to get into the forum than my solution. I have, though, been trying to refute the claims you made about my solution that I know (am convinced) are wrong.

jelco wrote:The increased threshold for legitimate users introduced by complicated CAPTCHAs aside (and as anyone familiar with the phrase "conversion rate" can tell you, it lowers registration numbers - a phenomenon known in this context as 'false positives') there is just no advantage to increasing the complexity of the registration process for legitimate users when there is an effective solution which doesn't require that. Nothing in your post makes a point addressing that.

You've somehow managed to ignore the point I made, which was that there are CAPTCHA systems which are less complicated then the current one, but which aren't solvable by bots.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 pm

It has been pointed out by my learnèd friend that I am not spamming enough.

So...
Have some spam.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Deepsmeg wrote:It has been pointed out by my learnèd friend that I am not spamming enough.

So...
Have some spam.

lol, spam

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”