Subversion City Generator

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Adarael
level0

Subversion City Generator

Postby Adarael » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm

...Soooo, I'm a little late to the party finding out about the Subversion City Generator. It looks awesome, though! Unfortunately, Humblebundle.com long since stopped selling the Humble Introversion Bundle, so it seems like I'm outa luck. And since that makes me sad, I wanted to inquire with the forums: is there anywhere I can purchase the Subversion City Generator separately from the Humble Introversion Bundle?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 pm

None that we know of.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 pm

It was a one time only thing I believe. Some googling will probably find you a torrent or something.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:00 am

TheGranaryBytes wrote:It was a one time only thing I believe. Some googling will probably find you a torrent or something.

Or make a request on a warez bulletin board or something.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:02 am

thedarkknightrises wrote:
TheGranaryBytes wrote:It was a one time only thing I believe. Some googling will probably find you a torrent or something.

Or make a request on a warez bulletin board or something.

Or I can just send it to him. Whatever.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

jelco wrote:Or I could just decide to ban people for suggesting, encouraging and openly engaging in software piracy. Whatever.

Jelco

To be honest, I was not that impressed with the City Generator. Something like this was done back in 1996: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2940
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm

jelco wrote:Or I could just decide to ban people for suggesting, encouraging and openly engaging in software piracy. Whatever.

Jelco

No rules have been broken. Go ahead, get above your station and be a douche.

Even if I were to send him one of my HIB pages, I would be breaking no laws or rules.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:00 am

TheGranaryBytes wrote:No rules have been broken. Go ahead, get above your station and be a douche.

It amuses me greatly that you believe a mod doing his job is getting "above his station" and then call him a douche while you're the one acting the douchiest.

Also: it's not up to you to decide whether the rules were broken or not.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:32 am

TheGranaryBytes wrote:

Jelco

No rules have been broken. Go ahead, get above your station and be a douche.

Even if I were to send him one of my HIB pages, I would be breaking no laws or rules.

Indeed, the "Introversion - Registration Agreement Terms" have no stipulations on piracy. Nor is self-proclaimed intention to engage in piracy sufficient to satisfy or equate to the actual act of piracy itself. By that fallacious logic, an individual posting on an internet forum claiming or suggesting that he has intentions to steal a car (for example) would be found guilty of grand theft auto by the public suggestion alone? That is of course ludicrous and absurd. TheGranaryBytes is correct in stating that no rules have been broken. Even if he were to send someone a link containing pirated material, that act itself (the act of sending a link) would not be illegal on his part.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:57 am

A few points:

1) The "Introversion - Registration Agreement Terms" isn't worth the (virtual) paper its written on. Furthermore, those are guidelines, not rules, and indeed people have been banned for reasons not posted there (notoriously, for spamming) as well as been allowed to stay despite doing stuff mentioned there.

2) as such, you can be banned for any behaviour the admins find objectionable. This is an internet forum, not a democratically run society, you're at the behest of those running the place and as such all you can hope for is for them to be benevolent. You have no rights here.

3) jelco made a warning, nothing more, you can contest his reasons, but don't try to pretend you're doing so under the coverage of imaginary rules.

4) as above, this is an internet forum, not a democratically run society, those running it CAN punish you for doing stuff that wouldn't fly on a court of law. You won't be accused of grand theft auto for suggesting to steal a car, but you can damn well be banned.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:08 am

Until Introversion re-release it, the administrators are right to presume alternative means of acquiring it shouldn't be shared on the Introversion forums, owned and run by Introversion. To allow it could be contrary to introversion's interests.

To wit, take your rules lawyering and shove it.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:53 am

Mas Tnega wrote:Until Introversion re-release it, the administrators are right to presume alternative means of acquiring it shouldn't be shared on the Introversion forums, owned and run by Introversion. To allow it could be contrary to introversion's interests.

To wit, take your rules lawyering and shove it.

Why wasn't City Generator part of the new - and in my opinion - not so Humble Bundle?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

Because that only contains Uplink, and because the generator is not available for Android.

And yeah. In my reading, there are implied rules, aka "What where you thinking???!???" , that can get you banned. Explicitly promoting and enabling piracy on the company's own forums would fall under that.
(Now, I am aware that the CG is not available for legal purchase anywhere (though you can try and get a used copy), and that is one of the conditions under which piracy is deemed excusable by many. Still, discussing it in public is simply stupid.)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:03 am

Honestly? I think it was just supposed to be there for the Prison Architect hype. Just like the voxel thing was.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 pm

It's fine I sent him one of my Humble Introversion Bundle pages.

I am within my rights to do so. I am breaking no laws and no software piracy is being taken part in.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”