Subversion City Generator

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 pm

TheGranaryBytes wrote:It's fine I sent him one of my Humble Introversion Bundle pages.

I am within my rights to do so. I am breaking no laws and no software piracy is being taken part in.

I'm sure he will be happy to play around with it. It is funny how originally IV pitched "procedural" as a cheap way of generating content without hiring an artist and then realized you can't procedural your way into gameplay, canned Subversion and now for PA they hired a dedicated artists for professional artwork and content. The City Generator, as cool as it is, doesn't go far enough. I would have liked a more massive scale (like NYC, etc) and truly scale-invariant procedural generation like that of Outerra ... so in Subversions CG case, each room of every hallway of every floor of every building of every street of every block intricately and seemingly modeled (in the same abstract bluish way) and rendered... kinda like a GTAIV but on wireframe..... it would be fun to get lost in such a world within a world.... would be kinda remind me of TRON2.0 or The 13th Floor! .... The real question is, when will IV release CG source code?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 am

TheGranaryBytes wrote:It's fine I sent him one of my Humble Introversion Bundle pages.

I am within my rights to do so. I am breaking no laws and no software piracy is being taken part in.
Law law law law law. What are you going to do when you get banned anyway? Sue for damages?
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:

Law law law law law. What are you going to do when you get banned anyway? Sue for damages?

Hardly a bannable offence.

I may gift my unused HIB purchases to anyone. This is no different to buying them for friends.

I love that you guys find this shit so important and dwell on it. Sad.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:03 pm

This is completely true, but thedarkknightrises seriously dwells on the law aspect and not "because the admins reserve the right" and it's hard not to conflate the pair of you. You kind of stepped in just after a load of warez suggestions and it wasn't immediately obvious that you were handing over a legitimate copy.

But yes, what you've done is obviously fine.
Pie21
level0

Re: Subversion City Generator

Postby Pie21 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:03 am

Hey guys,

I'm working on a university project trying to build an urban planning game like SimCity, and we'd like to procedurally generate some building blocks to fill spaces enclosed by roads. We can do it from scratch, but I'd really like to take a look at how Introversion were doing it in Subversion.

Could I get a copy of the Subversion source from anyone? Introversion won't let me buy it off them, so if I can find it I'll drop a $10 donation to them somehow.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:49 am

Hi Pie21,

Subversion is a suspended project, but it doesn't mean that Introversion won't return to it some day. Therefore, the source code is something they're not going to distribute until they release the game, or until they fully believe that they can do nothing with the project. That being said, not a single soul has read the source code (with the staff being the only exception) so it's not possible for you to get it through the community. Additionally, I have the impression that it would be illegal for someone to redistribute the source code, but I'm not certain on that.

Cheers!
Monolifici
level0

Postby Monolifici » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:03 am

Honestly I have a few projects that the CG would be really useful in helping along, I really hope they actually release it.

Monolifici
mmccarthy854
level0

Postby mmccarthy854 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:17 pm

RGeezy911 wrote:Hi Pie21,

Subversion is a suspended project, but it doesn't mean that Introversion won't return to it some day. Therefore, the source code is something they're not going to distribute until they release the game, or until they fully believe that they can do nothing with the project. That being said, not a single soul has read the source code (with the staff being the only exception) so it's not possible for you to get it through the community. Additionally, I have the impression that it would be illegal for someone to redistribute the source code, but I'm not certain on that.

Cheers!

Wasn't the source included in the Humble Bundle though?

I'm starting work on a PCG city model and like the OP, was interested in how it was accomplished in Subversion. Is it likely that this source code will be publicly available again in the future?

I've seen a forum post stating that the code is now being used in Prison Architect which confused me. Where is the PCG in Prison Architect?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”