Pack Suggestion

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Pack Suggestion

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 am

My current back pack is good for a laptop. But, I'll soon be carrying a good amount of books around town, and I just don't think that my current pack has the space for it.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good, quality bag? It would need to hold a laptop, several books, be sturdy, and preferably under $100.
TGR
level3
level3

Re: Pack Suggestion

Postby TGR » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:11 am

Anything by Berghaus will do.

Over budget but you can probably find it at a lower price on a North American site or something.
http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/106268.html
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:57 pm

I have one of these, and am very happy with it. It has weathered everyday use for over a decade, and still doesn't show much wear. The damn thing is indestructible, and I expect that my children's children will use it to seven generations!

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I like the berghaus, but they seem to be a bit pricey and hard to find in the states.

xander, my girlfriend has a Timbuk2 and loves it, so I was up on their website last night looking at them. They do seem to be pretty high quality, and I like the customazation options. Price would be the big issue with them, but I guess you pay for quality and if it outlasts other packs then it pays for itself.
OpenFlow
level2
level2

Postby OpenFlow » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm

xander, my girlfriend, has a Timbuk2 ....

Code: Select all

Wait, what?
-----
The OpenFlow
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Feud wrote:Price would be the big issue with them, but I guess you pay for quality and if it outlasts other packs then it pays for itself.

Indeed. You could pay $60 now and replace your bag every three or four years, or you can spend $120+ and have something to pass on to your kids. ;)

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:13 pm

You've had yours for a decade you say? That's a good amount longer than any I've used (my best was around six years).

She has the Swig, which seems to work well. I'll take a closer look at that messenger bag though.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Avoid a messenger bag if you are lugging around books.

A couple of text-book sized tomes, and your back and shoulders will love you for having a decent backpack with padded straps.

Also; avoid getting anything online based upon recommendations. Take a representative sample of the kind of stuff you'll be carrying around (i.e: laptop and a few books) and go to a nearby 'outdoor' shop. Any shop of that kind should have no problem allowing you to test some models out. Take what feels good for your frame and fits you best.

Basically: The exact same advice applies for backpacks being used for heavy(ish) stuff on a regular basis as does advice for light hiking backpacks (in fact probably more so as regular carrying of books etc. will happen more often than even the keenest hikers go hiking). Which is always to go try stuff on and check the fit for yourself.

I got an equivalent of a $75 backpack from Karrimor about 5 years ago. It was the only one I could find that sat low enough on me without loose straps (I'm pretty talll). I can lug half a dozen text books home on that thing with relative comfort. For my laptop + a couple of books, it's very comfy; but only because I managed to find something that worked well with my frame by trying various choices out.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Cooper42 wrote:Avoid a messenger bag if you are lugging around books.

A couple of text-book sized tomes, and your back and shoulders will love you for having a decent backpack with padded straps.

Only if you have not adjusted the messenger bag correctly. My bag has a hip strap that carries most of the weight---the shoulder strap is mainly to keep it from falling over sideways. That said, I do have a CamelBak that I use when I am on my bike (and for hiking). It holds about as much stuff as the Timbuk2 bag, but it is far less organized, and the space does not get used very efficiently. On the other hand, Timbuk2 also makes several backpacks, which look nice. Kelty also makes quality gear.

xander
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:22 pm

xander wrote:
Cooper42 wrote:Avoid a messenger bag if you are lugging around books.

Only if you have not adjusted the messenger bag correctly. My bag has a hip strap that carries most of the weight---the shoulder strap is mainly to keep it from falling over sideways. That said, I do have a CamelBak that I use when I am on my bike (and for hiking). It holds about as much stuff as the Timbuk2 bag, but it is far less organized, and the space does not get used very efficiently. On the other hand, Timbuk2 also makes several backpacks, which look nice. Kelty also makes quality gear.

xander
There you go, then. Didn't notice the hip strap.

I've been surprised by my Karrimor. Their stuff is usually sub-par, but for something cheap and mass produced (relative to other hiking backpacks) it's taken a lot of punishment and put up well. Probably wouldn't buy another though; they have a habit of putting elasticated string all over the place as if to shout "this is a PROPER bag" when bar a few things, that stuff is useless and annoying.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:51 pm

I think I used to have an Eastpak, but they are hard to find here in the States so I might have to get one shipped over. I'll check out the website.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 am

I lugged around a 4 year old Nintendo messenger bag during these past summer classes. I forgot to take the strap, because I had recently bought a banjo and thought my messenger bag strap would be perfect for it. So I packed the bag without noticing, and ended up having to use a guitar strap and a shoelace for a makeshift strap. The thing has duct tape wrapped around it.
Vasiia
level0

Re: Pack Suggestion

Postby Vasiia » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:50 pm

A very good backpack from the Ukrainian brand ROOH. Low price, cool design. I've been wearing it for two years and I don't regret it.https://rooh-brand.com.ua/

Return to “Introversion Lounge”