London 2012

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

London 2012

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I've been really enjoying the Olympics this last week.

I expected London to implode through sheer inability to cope, but that simply hasn't happened - for the most part it's all gone off without a hitch. So far.

I also thought the opening ceremony was great; I actually felt some small measure of national pride, which is a rare occurrence for me indeed.

As far as the actual sporting events are concerned, it's all been fantastic too. I've been glued to any Olympic coverage I can find on TV (which is a lot!) and thoroughly enjoying sports which I would not normally care to watch. To quote Alec Meer of RPS fame, "Watching sport is far more agreeable than I'd suspected. The unloveable men of football had given me the wrong impression, I think."

So, Yay for Sport!

Also, I actually went to watch the tennis last Thursday at Wimbledon - Centre Court tickets, so I got to watch Azarenka v Kerber, Djokovic v Tsonga, Federer v Isner and Clijsters v Sharapova - and also caught a close-up glimpse of Andy Murray and Laura Robson on their way to the little platform where they do interviews :D

Has anyone else been following the Olympics, or is it just me? ;)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:26 pm

I was cajoled into watching a bit of the opening ceremony and then went back to watch some more of it, I think it was very well done, and I've been loving reading the response to it from China, very interesting.

As I'm up in sunny Scotland and rather skint I've not even thought about going down to London to see anything live, but have caught some snippets of stuff.

My girlfriend in Uruguay, however, has been watching it more than I have so I get reports from her, very pleased by how the Scottish athletes are doing in team GB. :D
Feud
level5
level5

Re: London 2012

Postby Feud » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm

shinygerbil wrote:I also thought the opening ceremony was great; I actually felt some small measure of national pride, which is a rare occurrence for me indeed.

I just watched them last night, I'd been out of town but Tivo'd them to watch later.

I really liked the first segment of the opening ceremonies, espeically how it didn't try to top China's in pure grand spectacle. I am always impressed by the precision that some cultures and countries can achieve in mass displays, it's amazing. But Western culture tends to be much more individually focused, and I liked that Britain's cultural celebration had a bit of imprecision to it. It seemed more like indidivuals participating, not a sheer mass of uniform movement and exactness.

I wasn't too fond of the NHS segement, though the literature celebration was entertaining. The musical portion was a bit confusing, I kept wondering how they were texting each other if she'd dropped her phone and he'd picked it up. Maybe I missed something in there. I thin kartifical doves are silly, but I liked how they did the younger athletes carrying in the torch (even if it reminded me a bit of Hunger Games) and how the torch lighting was done.

As for the actual games, I've seen a bit. I got to see the women's team all around gymnastics finals, and that was pretty cool. Seen a good amount of swimming and lately they've been showing a lot of vollyball. I hadn't seen kayaking before this games, but it was pretty neat to watch. It was also the first time I saw handball played, which looked like a lot of fun.

Good games so far!

Xarlaxas wrote:I was cajoled into watching a bit of the opening ceremony and then went back to watch some more of it, I think it was very well done, and I've been loving reading the response to it from China, very interesting.

I hadn't heard anything about that (was out of town for ten days, so I've been out of the loop news wise). What's up?
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I haven't been wathcing much live. I usely just watch the finales the day after or so. Although it did watch the 100m sprint live yesterday and I also watched the road race. The american basketball is quite entertaining.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 pm

I've barely watched anything for no other reason that I rather spend time on my PC. In fact, this is probably the Olympics I saw the least of in a long time (granted, during most others I wasn't home and had very little else to do).

I do enjoy watching them, mind.

The only part of the opening ceremony I actually watched was the lighting of the torch and the entrance of the teams.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Feud wrote:I hadn't heard anything about that (was out of town for ten days, so I've been out of the loop news wise). What's up?

The Chinese people responded massively positively to the tribute to the NHS section in the opening ceremony, so much so that the government has started making statements about how great China's health-care service is, resulting in a lot of people in China complaining that the government is lying to try and look good.

Also, I guess you saw the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony then? Did you hear about the whole thing where they decided to cut out the tribute to the people who died in the 7/7 bombings because apparently that wouldn't be of interest to American viewers?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:Also, I guess you saw the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony then? Did you hear about the whole thing where they decided to cut out the tribute to the people who died in the 7/7 bombings because apparently that wouldn't be of interest to American viewers?

Various parts of the show were cut to make room for commerical breaks, I haven't kept up on what was cut or why they were picked. Hadn't heard about anything concerning the attacks, except what was talked about by the announcers in discussing London.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Yeah, they cut that bit out to interview Michael Phelps instead, surprised you hadn't heard about it, I believe it even ended up being discussed on the Daily Show. . . .
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Was lucky enough to be at the athletics on Saturday night...late decision, only got tickets on Wednesday, burned a big hole in the bank account but what the hell.

Mo Farah's run was incredible, one of the most electrifying sporting events I've ever witnessed.

As for London...well done, absolutely no probs getting around, and had a most wonderful lasagne at Pizza East in Shoreditch.

:)

Should say Friday night I was sooo excited about going...haven't been as excited since I got a ZX Spectrum for my Christmas :!:

Here's a few pictures... London 2012 Day 8
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 am

Those are some awesome pictures....very jealous! Looks like you picked a good night ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:45 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Those are some awesome pictures....very jealous! Looks like you picked a good night ;)

Cheers...very lucky with the night, 3 TeamGB golds and fantastic performances in women's discus and 100m - Jess Ennis was a coronation, Mo Farah was favourite, Greg Rutherford was a bonus.

Very lucky to be there...it's a shame it is so expensive, and out of reach for many folk...even for us, both with decent jobs, no kids, it was a big outlay for just 1 day, 1 event and the prices inside the park are scandalous, GBP8.50 for a small fish and chips...it was nice, much better than festival quality food but come on.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Haha one of the belgian cyclists is being send home after some british tabloids posted pictures of him being dragged out of a pub drunk as hell. :lol:
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Sounds like he was just trying to fit in with the natives! :P
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Hey if any London bods are near Charing Cross station one of my London 2012 photos should be appearing on a big Heineken screen :!:

Seems I win a case of Heineken too :D

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBcNPyh
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Win? Sounds more like a punishment to me [/obligatory bad beer joke]

Return to “Introversion Lounge”