Introversion's next game after Prison Architect?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Introversion's next game after Prison Architect?

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:02 pm

I would just like to state that I'm looking forward to Prison Architect a lot and hope it does really well. That being said I would like to offer an idea for your next game if you're not planning on finishing subversion?

If I was Chris ~ A chess rts on the darwinia/multiwinia engine.. Also include the time management utility from defcon.. Snowflake multiplayer maps.. A couple game modes could be spend points on units so a king and seven queens vs a king and ?? amount of pawns.. Random assignment of units so it would be a true mirror.. Multidimensional cloaking/movement/combat? It would be interesting if that was done correctly. Maybe the units shoot spheres.. Player could adjust size of sphere = damage / more velocity = less damage / rate of fire less = more damage ? Also possibly have accuracy involved with damage, velocity or rate of fire? I would like to hear some thoughts about that.. Units can fire at certain distance / at their respective angle of attack in chess?

Additionally maybe connect all units with algorithmic music

Just some thoughts.. :)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey!

First of all, it's nice to see you're enthusiastic about IV and its games, however I feel the need to point out a couple things:

1) By default, game developers at any given time have more ideas floating around than the ones they'll ever be able to create, so unless you're asked for ideas, it's usually wise to assume they don't need it. So don't bother unless your idea it's really really good.

2) If it is a really really good idea DO NOT POST IT PUBLICLY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, because there is nothing stopping someone else to take it and make it their own. Right now IV is busy with PA, so they're unlikely to pick up your idea, meaning that even if they were interested there's no guarantee that by the time they would be able to work on it someone else hasn't already announced "my totally awesome game idea that I most certainly did not steal from some random bloke on a forum".

That out of the way, if you're still interested in discussing your game idea, I'm all for it.

So, care to elaborate a bit more though? The entirety of your idea seems to be a "chess RTS", which is a bit vague. For instances, how would the chess mechanics translate from turn based to real time? Or do you just mean a chess themed RTS?
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:21 am

In response
1) I realize this..
2) I posted it here on the Iv forums for a reason.. If anybody thinks they can do it well I would like to see it.. there is a reason I posted it for Chris though and that's because he would do it the best..

Well what I was thinking for movement and this can be debated.. Possibly speed relates to amount of spaces the piece can move on a chess board.. it would be smooth also.. basically defcon movement on the darwinia engine with chess pieces..

the rooks would be able to move straight and horizontal.. the bishops would zig zag.. etc

Another reason the darwinia engine is perfect for this is a lot of the networking hassle has been completed thanks to multiwinia..
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm going to cut the crap and be honest here.

Your point would be understandable IF you had a fully formed game idea, which is something you blatantly do not have. Half of your game concept is vague, if not down right non-sensical, and the other half is irrelevant.
Consequently, what you did was to come here and say "hai guys! Can you make awesome game for me? kthxbai!" which comes across as both arrogant and lazy.

And that's the thing, isn't it? You didn't say "I'm working on this game concept, what do you guys think" you said "can IV make a game based on this idea of mine, which I didn't even bother to think through".

Like I said, if you want to discuss a game concept I'm all for it, but for fuck's sake have an idea first.

What's the goal of the game? How does it play? What's the relevance of chess to the game? Where does algorithmic music come in?

What engine the game works on or who's making it is irrelevant, so don't focus on that.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Geez, Xocrates, you might wanna try being a more friendly, now and then.... You don't have to scare of every newcomer to these isolated forums with a snarl and a bark because you think you are so much better then them...

Jack, I like your idea a lot, it sounds great and I'll see if I can contact Chris to talk about it. It will still take some time for PA to finish, and they do have another side project already, but like you said, Darwinia/Multiwinia already lays much of the ground structure so it should be reasonable to do, and besides that it's a great idea that will attract players outside of genres they so far have produced.

All in all, I'm for it and I'll see what I can do to make it come trough, let me know if you have more info that you want me to pitch to them. (you can either sent it to Gravity_denied@hotmail.com or post it here)

Kind regards,

Jordy
Cuz fuck logic
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:03 pm

All trolling and nonsense aside, gravity_denied is actually a pretty cool email address.

Also, don't listen to Jordy. He's no one.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Haha, we're a happy trolling bunch are we today lads. And of course it's a cool e-mail address, because I own it.

Looking forward to hear more Jack, don't keep me waiting.
Cuz fuck logic
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks Jordy I appreciate that.

Xocrates I'm sorry you feel that way.. I have actually worked on this concept for quite a while.. I only wrote it that way to bait for some trolling :wink:

"What engine the game works on or who's making it is irrelevant, so don't focus on that." ~ That makes the biggest difference in the world.. In my opinion Delay is one of the most underrated coding talents of the game industry..

"Where does algorithmic music come in?" ~ That was more of a side note just to think about.

Anyway a few additional thoughts and as always I encourage anybody else to add to it if you care to do so.

Possibly have some Health (more health) of unit connected to speed (less speed) of unit.. some slow fat queens that would dominate pawns

Maybe have the king be the only unit you could control in fps mode..

I do like the idea of being able to micromanage firing your units to places on the map were you think the other playing might go if you have line of sight? the spheres can bounce off land and ricochet? I'm not sure about that.. It might add for interesting strategy though..

Auto fire when units get within a certain distance? You still might be able to dodge though if you set your units up correctly? Units should have some momentum and not be able to change direction instantly?

Thanks for reading
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Jackdapantyrip wrote:I have actually worked on this concept for quite a while.. I only wrote it that way to bait for some trolling :wink:

Congratulations, not only do you announce that you were just trolling, but you kept doing it. Reducing whatever interest I may have had from low to negative.

Bye.
Last edited by Xocrates on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:01 pm

I hate to be so negative, but:

Jackdapantyrip wrote:Possibly

and
Jackdapantyrip wrote:Maybe

are not words used to describe a game that you really have a good idea of. If you want to talk about a game concept, you have to be definitive and have concrete ideas. Plans can change, but if you don't have a very solid idea of what you want to do, it won't get done.

And as I said, ignore Jordy. I know he might look friendly but really he's just trolling in his own special way. God bless his poor soul.

So yeah, if you want to describe a more concrete game concept, I can't wait to hear it, but if you're just throwing things on the wall you better just do it privately.
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Jackdapantyrip wrote:I have actually worked on this concept for quite a while.. I only wrote it that way to bait for some trolling :wink:

Congratulations, not only do you announce that you were just trolling, but you kept doing it. Reducing whatever interest I may have had from low to negative.

Bye.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way buddy.. it was just a joke come on lighten up.. /sigh

NeatNit wrote: So yeah, if you want to describe a more concrete game concept, I can't wait to hear it, but if you're just throwing things on the wall you better just do it privately.

I don't want anything set in stone that wouldn't work well to make the game as competitive as it can be for all types of minds... that's why I'm (possibly) open to suggestions.. :)
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 am

Jack, for all clarity, I'm not trolling, NeatNit, is our household fool who likes to confuse guests and newcomers alike. Xocrates is just our old grumpy forum lurker with an opinion on anything and a bad temper ;).

You show some good ideas and I'm going over tomorrow to Chris' place to talk it over a bit and maybe we'll do a little brainstorming on our own, will let you know what we come up with. In mean time, keep up the good work.
Cuz fuck logic
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 am

[REDACTED]

I can't be bothered with this, you're either trolling or just generally bad at social interaction through forums.

Either way, you would need to approach this in a less arrogantly silly way to deserve any serious attention. Good luck with that.
Last edited by zach on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 am

The goal of the game?

Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 am

NeatNit is a revered member of the community.

Haha, you joker, I'm curious what xander has to say about that...

Furthermore, I would give a 7 for your positivity factor in your reply, not bad, could still be improved upon :).
Cuz fuck logic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”