Your ideal gaming controller?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

...and why?

Mouse/Keyboard
71%
Joypad
18%
Motion Controls (Kinect, Move, Wiimote)
No votes
Touchscreen
No votes
Other (non Sci-Fi)
11%

Total votes: 28
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 am

Speaking of controllers, my FRC team is using two gaming joysticks to control our robot. I'm pretty sure they're standard to every team, but, oh well. I figured it worth mentioning. As for relevance, I think strategy games should definitely be left to the keyboard/mouse. There is just no good reason why anyone would try to limit an RTS to a controller.
*cough*Darwinia+*cough*

Shooters just feel much better on a controller. Left click ain't got nothin on a right trigger.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Sure if it's a FPS/RTS/Point n' Click or something with lots of inventory management then keyboard and mouse is a must. For everything else I always long for the sweet familar embrace of a DualShock. Hence I voted joypad.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm

GreenRock wrote:Speaking of controllers, my FRC team is using two gaming joysticks to control our robot.

[off topic]
Hey, me and another teammate figured out a surprisingly accurate and awesome secondary way to control the robot. I'm guessing you're using tank drive (each joystick controls one side's wheels)? Well, we're using that, but added a secondary control method - when the right trigger is pressed, then the right joystick controls the speed of both sides (to go straight forward, push it straight forward) while the left joystick controls the turn. This allows both full control of 'arch' movements, and amazing accuracy.

If you want, I can share code (LabView) :)
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:31 am

NeatNit wrote:
GreenRock wrote:Speaking of controllers, my FRC team is using two gaming joysticks to control our robot.

[off topic]
Hey, me and another teammate figured out a surprisingly accurate and awesome secondary way to control the robot. I'm guessing you're using tank drive (each joystick controls one side's wheels)? Well, we're using that, but added a secondary control method - when the right trigger is pressed, then the right joystick controls the speed of both sides (to go straight forward, push it straight forward) while the left joystick controls the turn. This allows both full control of 'arch' movements, and amazing accuracy.

If you want, I can share code (LabView) :)

My team's too cool for LabView, we're doing everything in Java ;D And no, we found that we like arcade drive better. Tank drive is horrible. We've swapped out the six wheel design for a 4WD one. One motor is chained up to the front and back wheels on each side. It's elevated a bit off the ground, too. When's your deadline?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”