Your ideal gaming controller?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

...and why?

Mouse/Keyboard
71%
Joypad
18%
Motion Controls (Kinect, Move, Wiimote)
No votes
Touchscreen
No votes
Other (non Sci-Fi)
11%

Total votes: 28
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Your ideal gaming controller?

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I was tempted to include the option "All of them", but have the sneaking suspicion that in the next generation of Console/PC hybrids, all of those control methods (and more) will be available, creating much confusion and expense for the consumer.
Also, I would urge you not to choose what your accustomed to, but how you would really want gaming to fit in with your lifestyle. eg: Your New Year's resolution might've been to get fit, so being able to play games/browse the net while jogging on the spot is a dream come true :lol: - or maybe you would love to be able to play Shogun 2 etc. on a Touchscreen while curled up in bed.
Who knows? You decide.
Codemaster
level0

Postby Codemaster » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:45 pm

If I compare the options I must confess that I would prefer keyboard/mouse for some reasons which might get obvious comaring with other controllers:
  • Playing ego-shooter games with a joypad is terrible in my opinion. Using a mouse makes it more easy to aim more precisely in a shorter time. I tried playing Halo a few times... but I failed, although I must confess it takes some to get used to.
  • Motion controls make me move... to much sporting activity :P
  • Touchscreen: Current consoles like the Nintendo DS and the Wii (U) do not offer me the games I would like to play. They are too casual! But I see an advantage in exactly these games... playing Age of Empires with Touchscreen would be not the true thing!

Hope that's enough for now.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:00 pm

In general, keyboard and mouse.

But, if I were to narrow the focus to what I like the most, joystick.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 pm

I doubt there could ever be an "ideal" controller, but the best one is keyboard + mouse out of sheer versatility.

That said, I do keep a controller at hand.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: Your ideal gaming controller?

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Blackbeard wrote:so being able to play games/browse the net while jogging on the spot is a dream come true :lol:
I did that for a while, but now my wife says it confuses the baby :(

For standard game-games, the 'traditional' dual analog stick controller is my favourite. It's versatile yet easy to use, game-specific layouts are limited to the available buttons so you don't have to hunt for stray keys on the keyboard. If there is one thing that needs improvement is that there's one set too many shoulder buttons and the stick buttons need to die. YES THAT'S ONE THING. Too many buttons.

Everything else is for special needs. Wiimote or mouse if 'aiming' is to be a main verb in the game, keyboard if you really need that many buttons, Kinect if the player's movement is supposed to be the main part of the fun.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Keyboard + Mouse

Controller only if it's really necessary.

In games such as GTA or Saints Row where analogue for driving would be nice, but aiming is important too I plump for Keyboard and Mouse.

One day there'll be a usable interface that provides analogue WASD...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Voted for mouse and keyboard, but I also loved the slim Sega Saturn joypad.
prozak
level4
level4

Postby prozak » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:05 pm

I use the OCZ nia and the good old mouse/keyboard.
Keio
level0

Postby Keio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:00 am

I voted "Other"

Because I really think the best controller is the one you can hold separetly in both hands. (So one part for each hand)
I think the only controller that does this is the wii remote. But it is really good.

Then, of course, you could add many more buttons, the important part is that you don't have to hold your hands together!

Oh.. and I think a Little, ocasional, motion control like juste shaking the remote is OK. But exessive motion control is crap.
As for shooting games I really think the wii mote is a good alternative to the mouse. (that's basically the only good use of motion detection).
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:09 am

Mouse and keyboard all the way for FPS games. I can't stand that dual-analog configuration on gamepads. Keyboard and mouse is also good for a game like The Binding of Isaac or Spiral Knights, where it's a top-down perspective and you use the mouse to aim.

For everything else, I prefer to stick with the joypad, especially sidescrolling platformers.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 am

Keio wrote:Because I really think the best controller is the one you can hold separetly in both hands. (So one part for each hand)
I think the only controller that does this is the wii remote. But it is really good.
Well, the Move does that, too. It's my favorite bit of the Wii control setup, actually; its symmetric layout also makes it possible to swap hands. Go lefties! There's one problem, though: only A, B and dpad-down can be accessed easily, for the rest of its buttons, you need to seriously twist your hand. And since most game developers think that they have to use every button available...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am

There is no "one true control setup". Different games have different requirements. Kb/mouse for fps/rts/etc, twin sticks for, say, twin stick shooters etc...and touch screens and motion controls both allow for entirely new types of game, so they're all good.

I don't even know where to put my vote!

I bought a £60 arcade stick for fighting games, and it was totally worth it.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Light-Pen comes to my mind, but disqualifies for being SciFi.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

trickser wrote:Light-Pen comes to my mind, but disqualifies for being SciFi.

Ugh! waa?

I voted for Joypad, because it's the only controller I know that allows me to sit on a couch and make as little movement as possible (what can I say? I'm a lazy git). Also, I believe, it's possible to play and enjoy nearly all genre of games on a Joypad (yes, even top down RTS).

Touchscreen comes a close second, but I tend to get shoulder ache using my tablet for extended periods (from constantly leaning forward to peer into the small-ish screen), and it doesn't seem suited to all types of games (a tablet with a larger screen, and physical analogue controller would possibly remedy all that of course).

I feel a bit like a minotaur out of water here, but I've never really warmed to Keyboard and Mouse, even for everyday computing tasks. But to paraphrase Winston Churchill "It's the worst solution to the problem, apart from all the other solutions".

I hope to be able to use controller-less motion controls in the future (for when arthritis turns my fingers into talons), as long as they don't try and force me into keeping fit, or waving my arms around like a lunatic.
Last edited by Blackbeard on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:01 am

I prefer Keyboard and Mouse, but ofc the advantage of the mighty PC platform, is free choice, you can use whatever you want. all at once. thats FREEDOM! :D

Return to “Introversion Lounge”