[Minecraft] Introversion Server

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

World Reset when Minecraft 1.2 has stabilised?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 am

Never!
No votes
No, but will accept if necessary
No votes
No strong opinions either way
31%
Yes, but not required
38%
Please!
31%

Total votes: 13
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Xocrates wrote:On a related note, what material? Cactus green wool or lime green wool? Or something else entirely?

I wasn't sure if a decision had been reached, but I figured picks and shovels and whatever else might be needed.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Actually, I would suggest holding until we start digging before mass producing tools, since we can use the stone we mine out that way. (coloured) wool, iron, and maybe wood, are the only materials that really need to be stockpiled prior to construction.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I figure that wood is probably best stored in it's raw form, since that takes up the least space.

Maybe in a week or so when my island is mostly done I'll try clear cutting a jungle. :D
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 am

I would say lime green wool would make the most sense for the DGv4?

-

Also, a few questions of preference:

What biome should we build the megastructure in?
I would suggest jungle, as that makes for some LUSH foliage in any internal gardens (which we are bound to have, obviously :roll:). This would also work neatly with Feud's intention of clear cutting a jungle :P
There is a decent jungle east of spawn (not too far away, which is alright I guess?). I do not know if it is large enough.

Where should we build the megastructure?
This ties in with the question above, for obvious reasons.
I have done some haphazard exploration, as can be seen on the map. We would probably want a more sensible approach to exploration, though.
Either way, extensive scouting should yield better location decision making.

What elevation should we build the base of the megastructure at?
I suggest elevation 16, as that gives us the least amount of stuff we need to clear, while also ridding us of the voidfog found at lower elevations.
This would put the tip of the structure at elevation 256 - the maximum.

(Not related to the megastructure) What elevation (if any) ought we build the framework for a nether hub/warp zone?
The nether "hub" in our last world was pretty confusing compared to the hub in the world before it.
We have been blessed with a wonderfully open nether this time, so I suggest we make use of this by building portals on (protected) platforms, over the lava ocean if necessary.
The lava sea is at elevation 32, so I suggest a framework/walkways floating at elevation 48 or maybe 64.

-

I have taken the liberty of building a portal at 0,0. I have given it two white wool blocks, and at the same time suggest that we colour-code our portals (both in the nether and the overworld), for clarity.

If we use (up to) two colours as a unique combination per portal pair, this should help identify distinct portals both in the nether and the overworld.
If desired, we could even make flags marking the structures in which the portals are found, exclusively incorporation those two specific flag colours for that portal pair.

In case this is even remotely acceptable, I (as said) have already marked 0,0 with white/white, and suggest we mark DGv4 with lime/lime.
All other combinations should be pretty much free to use.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:50 am

Small point, if we want it to cap at 256 we need to have the first blocks at y=17, not 16.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 am

zach wrote:Where should we build the megastructure?

I think the forested lowlands to the west of my island (if you're looking at the map) might be a good spot. Should be (relatively) easy to level off, at least compared to more hilly areas, and clearing it would give us a boatload of wood. That would mean chopping trees rather than just leveling like we would in a plains or desert area, but we'll need wood anyway.

EDIT:

So if anyone has, or knows where I can obtain, 24 buckets of lava, I would appreciate it!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 am

Looking at the map, I noticed there's a mostly flat land, although punctuated by small lakes, stretch of swamp behind the spawn portal that may be just big enough.

Viable? Thoughts?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

That would make it easy to get to for those who might not want to make a huge presence on the server, but who'd like to chip in or just see it.

Do you mean the area just North of the spawn (when looking at the map)?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Xocrates wrote:Looking at the map, I noticed there's a mostly flat land, although punctuated by small lakes, stretch of swamp behind the spawn portal that may be just big enough.

Viable? Thoughts?

I concur.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Just to be sure I know where you're meaning, it's the area North (to the right) of the spawn and nether portal, right?

If so, then if we want to establish a central wood depository I can start chopping. :D Even if officail construction doesn't start for a while, I figure that I can start prepping the land some so we're starting fairly close to a blank slate when we do.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm

I'll work out the dimensions and lay them out on the surface, so we know what we're dealing with...
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 pm

The map doesn't seem to be updating... Which would have made sense if it wasn't for the fact that it WAS updating a day or two ago. What's going on?

Edit: Nevermind, it works :)
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:09 am

The harvest begins.

And we've already more than 1% of the needed wool, yay.
(For a sense of scale, we need around 95,000 blocks. About 30 double chests full. We have 1/3 of a chest filled.)
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 am

Double post for bumping, as I have a question to ask of people.

I laid out a bracket near the spawn portal, out of cobblestone; proposed locations, one for each leg. They're very visible on the map.
Does anyone object to these being the set locations?

They are aligned with chunk boundaries, so as to minimize the number of chunks in use and maximize available viewpoint area. They also, depending on how the pit is sloped, conflict with no other structures.

(I would like to get a set location, so I can begin slowly doing work. If we don't want to set it yet, though, I could just keep farming for wool and supplies.)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Shwart!! wrote:Does anyone object to these being the set locations?

Does it allow enough space for us to dig a viewing area that encompasses the legs, though?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”