[Minecraft] Introversion Server

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

World Reset when Minecraft 1.2 has stabilised?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 am

Never!
No votes
No, but will accept if necessary
No votes
No strong opinions either way
31%
Yes, but not required
38%
Please!
31%

Total votes: 13
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 pm

I personally am in favor of periodic world resets, perhaps with the previous world's data availible in case someone wants to go back and visit what they made.

For me, Minecraft is at it's most fun when the canvas is realatively clean, when everyone is building because there is nothing there. It seems like 90% of the work gets done, then we spend the rest of the time making minor tweaks here and there. A new map carries with it energy, change happens on a much larger scale and there is much more incentive to strike out into the world and do something. Building your halls and your home, rather than sitting in it trying to decide what's next.

So, I vote for periodic map resets.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Quoted for posterity, zach wrote:So this is happening, and with it comes a difficult question.

What (if anything) should we do about world resets?

I have two proposals (if you have better ideas, please state them :roll:):
  1. Never reset the world (unless heavy, incompatible changes happen); we will explore to find new terrain features.
  2. Reset the world roughly every 6 months; whenever it coincides with a "big" minecraft release.

Hmm, I don't know about the periodic resets. I agree with you in that Minecraft is most enjoyable on a new/"in progress" world.

However, I think periodic resets would discourage massive projects. And, well, we can always travel a bit further away and have a clean canvas.

Either way, older worlds will always be made available for download. I'm in the process of moving the old, old worlds to the new server for download.

EDIT: Just tried a new world in the new weekly snapshot, and this is where I spawned:

EDIT 2: This has me thinking - should we use weekly snapshots (to not postpone generation of newly introduced terrain features more than necessary), or should we stick with the stable releases?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Double post: Only new worlds will get jungles. Oh no!

If this will be the trend with future terrain generation changes, I think it is safe to say that we must have periodic world resets.

I propose half a year inbetween resets (july/january), or maybe even three months (depending on terrain generation changes).

Thoughts?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm fine with that.

What would be kinda neat is if we could figure out a way to generate a larglely winter map, then we could run a snow map from September through March and a normal biome from March to the fall. Though, the novelty of that might wear off quick once the lumber wars began...
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Heh. Well, there'll always be biomes. We could make sure to have a world with spawn placed in a (large) snow biome though.

I like the idea.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Double post.

We can use our current world with the new terrain generator: 1.1 world in 1.2.

The chunk edges may be a bit dodgy, but it doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Maps of our old worlds are now online: http://minecraft.introversion.co.uk/
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Some weird things have been happening on the server today. It started off with me traveling quite far (Z: -8000). I went to explore a cave there, and sometimes when I placed a torch in that cave, my surroundings would change. Like, suddenly the walls next to me would disappear and I was in a completely different place. That was mildly disturbing.

A bit later I left the server for a few minutes to answer the phone, and when I came back, I spawned 5km closer to spawn than where I was before. I started running back home, and came across this: http://imgur.com/a/sY3kU (excuse the bad pictures)

As you can see, it's structure made of dirt, stone, bedrock, lava, a pumpkin and a pressure plate. :shock: Interesting, but probably not meant to happen.

What do you think caused all this? Is it just a bug in the game? Is it because we're running a 1.1 (or 1.2 even?) world generator on a 1.0 map? Or has the server run out of disk space?

Edit: Server has crashed and isn't coming back.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

That is so weird.

My thought is ... wait. -8000? Yeah, we may have run out of RAM.

The server has been restarted.

I've disabled map saves for now. We may need to start a donation incentive to up the resources, or lose the map and move to HDD instead of ramdisk.

Thoughts?
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah, sorry. I didn't intend to go that far, just really wanted to cross that damn ocean. Wouldn't moving to the HDD possibly solve this memory problem?
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Double post.

A WARNING to those who intend to play on the server before this problem gets fixed: Your inventory, and location, will be reset every time you leave the server. This means that, after joining the server, everything you add to your inventory will be lost when you disconnect, and the resources you used for those items will have disappeared also. You can however build something and the changes will stay put.*

* These are the observations made by (at least) three different players.

It's obvious that something is terribly wrong. I don't think it's only that the world has become very large, but maybe as a consequence of running out of memory, the world files have become somehow corrupt. Weird things, like those described in my previous post, are happening all around. This is where I currently always spawn: http://i.imgur.com/7Gnqx.png
(Lots and lots of cows in every direction) :shock:
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:02 am

Ilenius wrote:I started running back home, and came across this: http://imgur.com/a/sY3kU (excuse the bad pictures).
This is where I currently always spawn: http://i.imgur.com/7Gnqx.png
(Lots and lots of cows in every direction) :shock:

Rapture.

Please, please tell me you have been busy taking screenshots, these bugs are mental.

I'll look into moving the world onto the HDD for now, but I think I can safely say you destroyed the world with your curious explorations, Ilenius :roll:

In all seriousness though, the performance boost from running on a RAMdisk is very noticeable. Problem is, we "only" have 2 GB of RAM. I think we will be forced to switch to HDD world saving until/unless we get 4 GB of RAM.
Last edited by zach on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:14 am

I wouldn't know about the performance boost. For me the bottleneck will always be the rendering speed of my slow laptop. :( And I am truly sorry for screwing up this world, if I really am to blame. (To be fair, it was only about 1k farther into undiscovered terrain.)

And yes, I always take a picture when I see something strange. :)
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:24 am

Heh, don't worry about it. We keep daily backups for a reason. Could I have you connect to the server in two minutes, tell me if the problem persists?
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:32 am

I keep getting an "Internal Server Error" when I try to join now. Maybe it's trying to spawn another 1000 cows.

Edit: Got in. Yep, more cows.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 am

I just reverted to last night's backup.

Try now?

Also, we're running on HDD now. At least we shouldn't run out of space, now.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”