[Minecraft] Introversion Server

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

World Reset when Minecraft 1.2 has stabilised?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 am

Never!
No votes
No, but will accept if necessary
No votes
No strong opinions either way
31%
Yes, but not required
38%
Please!
31%

Total votes: 13
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 pm

With the current level of activity, I don't think I can justify 2 GiB RAM on the server. By lowering it to 1 GiB, the maintenance cost will be halved, and with 4-6 players we shouldn't notice a difference.

How do people feel about this?
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 pm

That sounds quite reasonable, Zach. I've played almost every day in the past week and haven't seen anyone!
heymattay
level1
level1

Postby heymattay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Are there enough guests to warrant a public server? And the damage brought on creepers is enough to push me away from the idea. A snapshot server sounds like the best way to go if we just wanted to show off.
I am Mattay
Shasharala
level0

Postby Shasharala » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Hmm... seeing how idle things have become around here... I for one would appreciate the chance for a new way to gain trust... so that one may enter the server.
Maybe I could possibly invite someone or many someone's to my server? It's been around since alpha...
still... hmm...

I guess I'll just have to loiter around here more often for now... =)

EDIT:
I believe that in the newest snapshot/1.4 you can turn off creeper griefing. It's '/gamerule domobgriefing false' or something to that extent... I forget. A quick look at the wiki would help in that regard, I'm certain...
not to mention that Bukkit can handle things like this quite nicely... by giving the sysadmin the ability to deal with groups and permissions... or just modding creepers...

Still... I've used Bukkit and it's a huge headache after a while... the mod API will be so nice when it finally comes out...
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Using the snapshot isn't a fantastic idea. It can be a bit unstable.

Also, while the mobGriefing rule idea is a good idea, it would apply to all players which would be a bit naff. This could be a achieved with mods, but not in the snapshot. :\
Shasharala
level0

Postby Shasharala » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:51 am

Mob griefing is a rule to turn off creeper explosions affecting block data and to make endermen stop affecting blocks.

It in no way, fashion, or form, has anything to do with the way players affect block data. Players arn't even considered 'mobs'.

As for the instability of the snapshot, that is something to be cautious of...
but so far these snapshots are fairly stable. None of them seem even comparable in instability to the pre-releases of beta 1.8.

*shrugs*

If gamemode 2 is used with domobgriefing set to false... then there shouldn't be too many problems controlling new players...

the only backfall is whether to use one of the recent snapshots or not... there are multiple ones, so maybe one is more stable than another.

Time will tell... maybe 1.4 will come out much sooner than currently anticipated...

Edit: Oh.. I just realized... did you mean the rule would affect all players, as in, some players wouldn't be able to have their stuff blown up by creepers? I didn't realize that was something favorable to keep around...

Damage from creepers still exists with the rule... the creepers simply won't affect blocks...
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:28 pm

If anything, we would only enable these settings come 1.4 - which, according to jeb_ I believe, will be around Halloween.

Ideally, creepers would damage terrain iff they were chasing a player with block edit rights at the time. This is probably not how the setting works.

That is; there should be no change to current players, only new players should be disallowed any form of "griefing", self-inflicted or otherwise.

This will most likely not be the case.
Shasharala
level0

Postby Shasharala » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:35 am

All of that is unfortunately correct.

To get that sort of intricacy with mobs one would require a permissions system designed with the environment/mobs in mind, which vanilla Minecraft is currently lacking and Bukkit is lacking the last time I checked. Most permissions systems focus on how players affect blocks... not the subtle nuances of how players can force the environment/mobs to do their bidding.
As an example, one could not only utilize the griefing abilities of the creeper, which is ridiculously hard to do in 'gamemode 2' ( simply because there isn't a good way to fight anything, gain food, or even jump out of annoying holes and areas that generally we place a block down to jump out of ), but one could also, time willing and with persistence, force an enderman to slowly dismantle a house, depending on the house's structural makeup.

Gamemode 2 also does not prevent crafting and with extreme persistence and creative use of creepers ( or merely access to the right materials/chests ) one can create a flint and steel.

It also doesn't prevent damage occurring from ghasts or blazes when a shot goes astray.

In the end... it's about moderation... backing things up... and not letting people in if the possibility of things being changed is frightening.
I think it unlikely that such an incredible amount of permissions moderation will come into vanilla Minecraft, but maybe when the mod API is finished, there may be a permissions system that goes above and beyond such intricacy, created as a plugin by worried folks, quite like ourselves.

At this point I imagine only time will tell.
I was hoping to see more conversation on the subject of opening up the server or doing something... but if this is what can be currently mustered... then so be it.

Anyway, thanks for considering my suggestions, all the same. I hope to see this server last long enough that I can gain 'tenure' and enter it at some point. So keep it pristine till I get there! Haha.

Servers that have been around since Alpha and Beta are the best... it's so great to see all the history.
blotz
level0

Postby blotz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 am

whitelist me plz?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 pm

blotz wrote:whitelist me plz?

That's not how it works :roll:

Who are you? Who can vouch for you?
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

zach wrote:
blotz wrote:whitelist me plz?

That's not how it works :roll:

Who are you? Who can vouch for you?

Lol, ok, was worth a try.. I guess I'm still not welcome?

But as to you question, I disagree, I feel like 1 Gig would be too little, and I don't give a damn about your server costs, got that?
Cuz fuck logic
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:35 am

I am in the process of downgrading the server to 1 GiB of RAM.

At the same time, backups will happen every 7 days instead of every day. We should have enough space for half a year's worth of backups until I manually rotate them again.

I should really set up automatic rotation. I will do so in the near future, after which we can go back to daily backups.

EDIT: Server is running again.

EDIT: So uh, I broke the map. I can't seem to fix it. :(
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Double post.

Server has been updated to 1.4.2.

Enjoy :)
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am

Triple post.

Server has been updated to 1.4.4.

EDIT: This was my post #1337. How spectacular.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 pm

zach wrote:Triple post.

Server has been updated to 1.4.4.

EDIT: This was my post #1337. How spectacular.

As with all members who reach 1337 posts, you may never post again.

Until the next time you post.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”