The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
- tabasco boy
- Posts: 1180
- Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:25 pm
- Location: Lovely Planet Earth
zach wrote:On that note; I currently pay $80 per month. I can afford this (more or less), but I will not be able to pay for a specification upgrade out of my own pockets, hence the possible donation suggestion.
Just a suggestion, isn't it better to just get a better internet connection at your place and host it from there. Was thinking of upgrading my connection for a while but cant do it yet as im still under contract. But if i do you'll be first on my list to maintain it.
tabasco boy wrote:Just a suggestion, isn't it better to just get a better internet connection at your place and host it from there.
I have a 40/40 mbps connection, which is plenty for hosting a server here.
However, I do not;
- want to run a server from my flat, as it is noisy and frankly a bit silly.
- have a computer free for running a server 24/7
- have an uninterruptible power supply, nor a guarantee from my ISP that the connection will be up even 90% of the time (it has been known to fail for hours or even days on end)
- have two HDDs for setting up RAID to avoid data loss
- like the idea of opening up my network to shenanigans
- have any interest whatsoever in hardware of any sort, including server hardware.
- have an off-site backup facility
- mind paying $80 for dedicated, experienced professionals to handle the tasks I consider menial
- like the idea of relying on a single IV member (I have - or mean to have - distributed the SSH password for the server to our moderators)
I am more than prepared to pay the $80 - or even double that - for us to have our Introversion Minecraft Server in good (great) hands.
I am, however, not keen on us losing the aforementioned security and stability, just to save a bit of cash ... not to mention the steep increase in required maintenance, either for me or for someone else.
Finally, we would become entirely reliant on a single member of the community, much more so than we are reliant on me, today.
Those are (most of) my reasons to go with a slightly expensive, very recommendable VPS host.
Feud wrote:If we are going to reset the server, perhaps for a few hours before hand we could open the server up to general hijinks?
I will let you know when the final backup of our current world has been archived safely
Feud wrote:So, do we have an idea on if/when work will begin on the project? I want to know if I should start stock piling any resources.
Honestly, we'll need so many resources that you can start stockpiling them regardless of start date
However, I think it's currently expected the main construction to fully start around early July or similar. That said, I see no reason why people can't start as soon as a suitable location has been scouted, even if the main work doesn't start until later.
On a related note, what material? Cactus green wool or lime green wool? Or something else entirely?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests