Frozen Synapse Tourny?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm going to be tied up for the next several days, but after that I'll be free to start organizing things.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue May 31, 2011 8:42 pm

That ex has no objectives means that it's virtually impossible to guess what the opponent will be doing, or he will go somewhere where it's impossible for him to die. No reason to play sharp and risk your live if you don't have too.

Disputed can be about camping, but mostly you want to gain territory so that when the boxes drop you can either defend them properly or take them.

Charge is not about camping, the fact the each party has a limited set of possibilities means that it's a much more psychology warfare. You can successfully counter the opponent if you guessed rightly what he's up too. If the opponents camps somewhere you can easily counter that, by either running straight by or distract/surround him or even blast him in the face with shotty/gl or rocket guy.

Also, from bidding to scouting, to rockets and grenades fire the information is much more valuable to the opponent then in other modes.
From the bid alone you can tell what he might be up too, or what is most likely/best thing to do. Scouting a unit somewhere can tell you a great deal about his overall positioning due to the fact it tells you part of his plan to defend/get somewhere.
The explosions of grenades and rockets can tell you what he's afraid off or where he thinks you will be/come.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:08 pm

It's been a very long time since I played FS, but it appears my custom maps are still online though I'm not sure if they still work.

See here: http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2235

There's plenty to choose from and a few intense maps. Good suggestions for a tourney are:

1. Forest. You can play hide and sneak and there's lots of "oh crap! Phew!" moments 'cause that tree just barely blocked his grenade.
2. Public Park. Symetrical and doesn't allow camping, at least if you want to live long.
3. Tunnel O Doom. Very, very fun, though you need to lengthen the game turns so you don't run around in circles chasing each other.
4. Mini War. You have your own private army, but so does the other guy, and there's nowhere to run but straight at him. Lots of fun if you like lots of bullets flying.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Personally I really like Tunnel O Doom. Mini-War I've played and has some merit in it, but for a competitive setting it seems too much randomness and ordering stuff.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Jordy... wrote:That ex has no objectives means that it's virtually impossible to guess what the opponent will be doing, or he will go somewhere where it's impossible for him to die. No reason to play sharp and risk your live if you don't have too.

Extermination simply opens up a much wider variety of options, leading to long intense and often awesome games. imho.

Ace Rimmer wrote:It's been a very long time since I played FS, but it appears my custom maps are still online though I'm not sure if they still work.

See here: http://forums.mode7games.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2235

There's plenty to choose from and a few intense maps. Good suggestions for a tourney are:

*snip*

I don't really like any of those maps, they all looks a bit gimmicky without offering any deep tactics.

Personally I'd say randomly generated maps with symmetry are the way to go.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:20 pm

You should try them before knocking them, especially Tunnel o Doom.

Edit: Xocrates, I can't play that game you challenged me on unless I know which server to use. O_o (I get the 'you're on the wrong server error if you want to play that game')
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Edit: Xocrates, I can't play that game you challenged me on unless I know which server to use. O_o (I get the 'you're on the wrong server error if you want to play that game')

Yeah... that challenge was made before the extra servers, so as far as I know it can't even be played anymore (I certainly haven't been able to access it and other like it in any of the servers I tried)

Feel free to send a challenge my way if you want though, just make sure to tell me the server. :P
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:09 pm

For those of you interested, there is a great initiative by Krusty from the FS community, go check it out!: http://frozensynapseleague.com/index.php

Return to “Introversion Lounge”