So is Introversion dead?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 am

xander wrote:Weren't you here for most of that?

Judging from the context I'm guessing that's a typo, in which case: I was indeed not around for most of that. :P I did know about IV before Darwinia was released but only through some Uplink demo which I forgot quickly. It was only after the Darwinia release that I started lurking around and eventually ended up registering.

That doesn't mean however that I don't know what it is (simply visiting Icepick's Darwinia website gets you wondering), and it's certainly been used a lot in the time I've been here outside of occasional oldtimer flashbacks. ;) The way I've seen it used often is with regards to the then-upcoming game (first Defcon, then Multiwinia, then Subversion) - the fact that it often resulted in discussions of its spelling started by Neo, Rkiver or you (xander) is slightly besides the point. :P

Jelco
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm

jelco wrote:
xander wrote:Weren't you here for most of that?

Judging from the context I'm guessing that's a typo, in which case:...

Not a typo. Perfectly grammatical English, and all that. I had just assumed that you had been around for longer than you have (or that the whole naming convention was less old than it is).

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:02 pm

We've some surprises up our sleeves too.

I smell Multiwinia 2 around the corner!! YAY! :P Can't wait for that. ... ow, did I spoil the surprise for everyone else..? I'm sorry..
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Posted to the Blog for a wider audience to see.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Jordy... wrote:
We've some surprises up our sleeves too.

I smell Multiwinia 2 around the corner!! YAY! :P Can't wait for that. ... ow, did I spoil the surprise for everyone else..? I'm sorry..

Why? Relative to the other games, I'm guessing Multiwinia turned out to be the least financially sucessfull of the lot. What sense would it make to create more of the same? Also, Chris mentioned getting back to what they originally did (make unique and entertaning games).

Also, thanks Chris for letting us know you're (IV) still around. :D
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Exactly because Multiwinia hasn't reached it's full financial potential is why they'll probably go back to it.
And I think Chris statement was more referring to how things were run back then, instead of one of there original mission statements.

Besides, what better game could you possibly make but Multiwinia 2?!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Ahem.

Chris wrote:No multiplayer sequels

Jelco
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31 pm

^ That too.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 pm

To me that means, that they will not make a multiplayer sequel based on an existing game. And also is mentioned to underline the catastrophe of multiwinia.

However, Multiwinia 2 will NOT be a sequel, it will be a whole new game and the exactly that multiwinia was such a disaster is the reason they probably want to make it up to me.. ehh.. US, and make Multiwinia 2!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Jordy... wrote:Exactly because Multiwinia hasn't reached it's full financial potential is why they'll probably go back to it.

Seriously? I think that Multiwinia did reach its full financial potential. It just happens that it didn't have that much financial potential to begin with. It appeals only to a niche audience, and was only ever going to sell to a dedicated few (even if IV feel that it is one of the most accessible games that they have made). That doesn't mean that it isn't a great game, but why should IV expend more resources on an idea that flopped?

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Because you and I both know the truth, the ONLY and REAL truth. Multiwinia was and is one of the best RTS games ever made, the reason it didn't appeal to many people is because of how they approached there idea, budget, marketing and some other stuff.

But you, nor I, can deny that fact that the concept in itself has MASSIVE potential! Why do so many people play Starcraft 2? A boring game about learning specific builts? Because they long for a good RTS that is nicely polished and because playing can entail SC2 some moments of great joy when it comes down to pure action and the spur of the moment! In short, everything that Multiwinia brings to you without having to learn and master all the idiocy around it..
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 am

Glad to hear it, Chris.

I, like alot of people, just like to associate noise with activity, and activity with 'good'.

i.e. Mojang tweeting every 4 - 8 hours about something dev/non-dev related.
Turn on, tune in, drop out.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”