Desktop Dungeons challenge (Win Humble Indie Bundle 1 + 2)

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Desktop Dungeons challenge (Win Humble Indie Bundle 1 + 2)

Postby Montyphy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 am

If you missed out on the Humble Indie Bundle 2 you need worry no more for here's another chance to get in on the action!

The Challenge:
Complete Normal mode of Desktop Dungeons faster than any other entry.

How to enter:
Post a screenshot of your score sheet in this thread.

Closing date:
00:00 GMT Monday 10th January 2011.

Rules:
  • You may play as any race.
  • You must play as a tier 1 class (fighter, thief, priest, wizard).
  • You must play in Normal mode.
  • You must play with the profile name matching your forum name.
  • Your first entry will be the one that is counted, however, entries will only be checked on the closing date so you may edit your post to remove a previous entry.

Eligibility:
You must fulfil one or more of the following criteria:

• A member here for 1 month or more.
  • Over 10 (non-spam) posts.

Prize:
Unsurprisingly, a gift link for the Humble Indie Bundle 1 + 2 (which consists of the games Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans, World of Goo, Aquria, Gish, Lugaru HD, Penumbra Overture, Samorost 2). The link will be provided unregistered, meaning if you already own the bundles you can pass the link onto a friend for them to register.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Seems like the only way to win is to <redacted> and abuse the hell out of <redacted> to attain <redacted> and then set fire to it. Time is just a function of how soon you locate <redacted> and how much <redacted> you have left when you do.

Last edited by Mas Tnega on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:24 am

I have the bundles, so it doesn't really affect me, but the challenge is a bit... random? Luck based?

Either way, my point is that it's hardly a challenge when really all you need to do is play the right class, hope for the right stuff to spawn (or restart when it doesn't), and then hope to stumble upon it really fast :P
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 am

I hadn't heard of this game until today.. is it a good game?
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 am

OMG! It looks so cute. :D
I'm less than enthusiastic about the prize though.
Turn on, tune in, drop out.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Xocrates wrote:I have the bundles, so it doesn't really affect me,

If you win, you can always pass the bundle on to someone else. ;)

Xocrates wrote:but the challenge is a bit... random? Luck based?

Either way, my point is that it's hardly a challenge when really all you need to do is play the right class, hope for the right stuff to spawn (or restart when it doesn't), and then hope to stumble upon it really fast :P

That is largely true, however there is still a surprising amount of skill required. My real aim of doing this was to just promote an indie game that some may not have seen before and offer a chance to win a prize (which would promote more indie games) for those who choose to play it. I wasn't really expecting many to be up for a challenge if it involved a lot of prior time investment (see zach's recent Super Meat Boy challenge) or if the only prize was something many round here already owned, that is why I went for a game that can be completed in 5-15 minutes of first playing it.

Jordy... wrote:I hadn't heard of this game until today.. is it a good game?

It's not quite my kind of thing but I enjoy how it encourages you to play in different styles in order to unlock all the classes. Normally in a game I choose a class that suits my playing style and stick with it until I get bored of the game. I don't get that with this game though, perhaps because I'm not quite sure which class meets my style just yet or may be it's because the run-throughs are so short it's easy to get bored of a class yet still be wanting more action. The random element can lead to it being a bit frustrating though since you can end up in unwinnable situations but if you're use to Rouge-likes then you'll probably be use to that and will enjoy this.

Seitaro wrote:I'm less than enthusiastic about the prize though.

Why?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Montyphy wrote:
Why?

Because I only skimmed the game list and didn't recognize any. :P But a few of them do look good.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Seitaro wrote:I only skimmed the game list and didn't recognize any. :P But a few of them do look good.
Your gaming life is impoverished then. Most of the games on that list are real gems.

In any case, this has given me an excuse to play something I've been meaning to for a while. but times under 4 minutes are a rarity for me at the moment. I'm pretty sure there's a way around it with mana potions and fireballs though.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Seitaro wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
Why?

Because I only skimmed the game list and didn't recognize any. :P But a few of them do look good.

Well, I'm glad to have brought these great games to your attention. As Cooper42 states, there are some real gems in there, and if you were to try and buy them today it would cost you roughly £100 ($156), so what are you waiting for? Get playing Desktop Dungeons!

Cooper42 wrote:but times under 4 minutes are a rarity for me at the moment.

I must be really rubbish or easily distracted because I can't even manage under 10 minutes. ;-;

Doh, I'm an idiot. Only just realised I should have based this on total score rather time. Oh well, live and learn.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm

I only know of one reliable way to win and lucky for me it's a pretty damned fast one.

I say "reliable" but I've only beaten Normal mode three times total.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:I only know of one reliable way to win and lucky for me it's a pretty damned fast one.

Let me guess, Wizard+plus mage altar+fireball+cheap spell :P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Nope! I always worship the god of not killing golems. He doesn't like magic all that much.
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 am

Cooper42 wrote:
Seitaro wrote:I only skimmed the game list and didn't recognize any. :P But a few of them do look good.
Your gaming life is impoverished then.

Yes I know, it's mainly because I trashed my main computer a year ago and only have this netbook. Which barely plays Uplink, and even lags when I'm playing Desktop Dungeons. D:

My friend managed to get through a dungeon and beat the boss on her first try. I still haven't beaten it yet despite playing for.. some hours.

She's such a douchebag.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 am

Seitaro wrote:She's such a douchebag.
Yeah, she should totally have used the name Seitaro and passed you a screenshot.
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:33 am

Mas Tnega wrote:
Seitaro wrote:She's such a douchebag.
Yeah, she should totally have used the name Seitaro and passed you a screenshot.

I know right. But it took her 19 minutes to finish anyway. :roll:

Return to “Introversion Lounge”