Terry Jones' plan to burn the Qu'ran on September 11

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Terry Jones' plan to burn the Qu'ran...what opinions do you have?

He's doing the right thing! He's preaching!!!
10%
Maybe there is a better solution than burning books...
20%
He shouldn't be doing it. That is wrong.
60%
He's fucked...
10%

Total votes: 10
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:41 am

vanarbulax wrote:xander I'm with Feud and Xocrates on this one. We have every right to tell someone what they should and should not do, but they have a right not to listen or follow what we say. I don't see why dissent is a protected right but dissent about dissent isn't? I have every right to tell someone they're being a bloody nuisance or their opinions are stupid, a company boss also has that right even though they have for more weight (or coercion) to their opinion.

You and I have that right. As a group, we cannot shout down opposing points of view simply because we do not like them. The PotUS does not. The official policy of the government cannot be "You have these rights, but you shouldn't exercise them." What is the point of having rights on paper if you are not supposed to take advantage of them?

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:35 am

xander wrote:You and I have that right. As a group, we cannot shout down opposing points of view simply because we do not like them. The PotUS does not. The official policy of the government cannot be "You have these rights, but you shouldn't exercise them." What is the point of having rights on paper if you are not supposed to take advantage of them?

There is a difference between saying "you cannot do this," as opposed to saying "that is a really bad idea, I don't think you should do that." How else is a democratic society supposed to have open, honest, and necessary discussions about law, society, culture, and policy if groups cannot assert their views on a controversial issue? Further, I don't think that making a value judgment about the wisdom of a particular form of exercise of a right is an encouragement to not take advantage of that right, nor is it equivocating on those rights. Rather, it's an admonition to exercise those rights responsibly.

For example, were I to say to someone tomorrow "I'm going to go by an SL-8 rifle", I'd have every right to do so under the Constitution. They might say to me though, "you shouldn't do that." Might they be asking me to abandone my 2nd Amendment right? Possibly, or they might have meant it in a very different manner. They might have meant that "you really don't have the money right now, and that's not a good thing to go in debt over." Or, they might have meant, "I have had some experience with that gun, and trust me, you don't want to spend $2,000 on it." Regardless, the person isn't asking me to give up or equivocate on my right to purchase a gun, rather they are urging me to look at my situation and realize that exercising it in this form, at this time, and possibly in this place, isn't a good idea.

In the case of Pastor Jones, saying he shouldn't burn the Korans isn't asking him to give up his right to do so, nor is it asking him not to exercise his 1st Amendment rights. Rather, it's an admonition that he find a better manner of expression, that he make a wiser choice in the matter. Rights carry with them responsibility to exercise those rights in a wise and mature manner, and I see nothing wrong with saying to someone that they shouldn't do something that fails to meet that standard. They're free to still do it, they're free to not listen to what others have to say, but to not attempt to tell someone that what they are about to do is a bad idea when it most certainly is one makes you a negligent contributor (NyQuil kicking in, hope this makes sense).
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm

I think you guys miss the fine extinction xander makes between "the people" and "the government". The government has a public role and responsibility, so it's not right for the government to exercise influence on people's rights. Because a person is not on the same level as the government, a government, as a whole substitutes a whole lot more power then the average layman.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:35 pm

I heard that the reason to cancel his scheme, was because the Fire Department didn't give him license to burning books in the open air.

Can someone explain that ? What this license
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 pm

(MOR) wrote:I heard that the reason to cancel his scheme, was because the Fire Department didn't give him license to burning books in the open air.

Can someone explain that ? What this license

I'm sorry, (MOR) but I don't know much about the license. All I know is that a person who doesn't have a license starts a fire will get fined.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Jordy... wrote:I think you guys miss the fine extinction xander makes between "the people" and "the government".

No, I didn't.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Then why argue about something you both agree on?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Jordy... wrote:Then why argue about something you both agree on?

Because we are not agreeing on what we are arguing about... I think.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:44 pm

I chuckled at this cartoon on the subject
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:40 pm

Let's just hope they don't take it as seriously as the Danish cartoon of Muhammad which started a riot. Somehow, I'm rather mostly expecting nothing to happen, whether the book burning proceeds or not.

At the most they might stand up and shout like the cartoon protesting, but I don't really expect much more than that.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:08 am

BREAKING NEWS:

Terry Jones' plans to burn the Qu'ran was a fluke. He just wants to show everyone that there is something dangerous about Islam. In reality, he wasn't intended to burn the Islamic holy book.
NORAD_
level1
level1

Postby NORAD_ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:53 am

There needs to be another option labeled "It's his right to freedom of speech, I really don't care."
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 am

Admiral Yoshi wrote:Terry Jones' plans to burn the Qu'ran was a fluke.

Eh? His plans were neither lucky nor unlikely so what is that even meant to mean?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Indeed, rather than a fluke, I think Yoshi meant to say it was a bluff; a show; a ruse; a scam.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:49 pm

He's playing the flute, I think that's what Yoshi meant....O_o

Return to “Introversion Lounge”