Video Gameology 101

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Video Gameology 101

Postby xander » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:33 am

First, a question: If you were to introduce someone to the art and science of playing video games, which games would you choose, and why?

And the motivation for this question: In the several years that I have known Wendryn (my wife), I have tried to convince her to game with me from time to time. Until recently, our work and school schedules made this difficult. However, we are now in a position where we both have the time and inclination to pick up the controllers and game a bit.

I have been playing games since the mid-80s. I've played on the Atari 2600, the Sega Genesis, the NES and SNES, and the Dreamcast, and Wendryn and I own a Wii and PS2 (we also own an Atari 2600 and Genesis, but I have no working controllers for either---but Wiiware and emulators make up most of the difference). I have also played some PC games, but I have been a Mac user my entire life, so I am largely unfamiliar with games that have not been ported (I did play some Worms and Rainbow Six on friends' computers circa 1999-2000, but that is pretty much it beyond Mac games and ports). Wendryn, on the other hand, has not done much gaming. The only games that she can remember ever playing are Counterstrike and Diablo.

I think that it would be instructive for Wendryn to play some classic games, in order to get a feel for where gaming comes from, and also to get used to using a controller (modern controllers have a lot more buttons than, say, the Atari controller). I have some ideas for what constitutes classic games, but my experience is somewhat limited (i.e. no PC gaming, and I was a Sega fanboi as a kid). So, in addition to the list provided below, what games do you all consider to be classic, and feel that any "literate" gamer should have played?

As additional criteria, I want to consider games that exemplify certain genres or series of games. For instance, I think that every literate gamer should play through one of the early Mario Brothers games. The original Super Mario Brothers is pretty hard, and is likely to be frustrating for a newbie, so I would probably introduce the series with SMB3 or Super Mario World. Either of which, I think, would exemplify the series, and other games in the series need not be played. Also, as just pointed out, the games should be engaging to a newbie---they should not be horribly, punishingly difficult (so the original Megaman, Metroid, and Castlevania games are probably not good choices).

The list is here.

Please note that there are clear gaps in the games that I have played. For instance, you see almost nothing in the PC games list. Any help or advice is welcome. When you list games, please let me know why they should be considered classics, and why people should play them. And thank you in advance for any recommendations. I will update the list as suggestions are made.

xander
Last edited by xander on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:31 am

Assuming the person is brand new to all of it:

Multiplatform

Worms (or similar artillery game)

PC

Portal - It's short, simple to learn yet complex in design, well written and compartmental (giving a nice feeling of accomplishment with each level/puzzle being beaten), and really shows how a game can be captivating without requiring violence as the attraction.

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat - Great game that gets one into the cockpit and allows for both dog fighting with guns and dog fighting with missiles. I pick this one because, while old, it doesn't have the over whelming slew of hyper realism and options that I feel were a major contributor towards that fall of the flight sim genre (I remember for years that any software distributor had as many flight sims as any other type of game, often more). Rather, it has fun historical missions that scale well depending on skill (unlimited fuel, unlimited missiles, god mode, etc being clickable options), allows for new players to focus on learning how to fly (free flight) and the basic tactics of air combat, and even allows you to take a F-4 up against FW-190s. :)

Master of Orion 2 - Galactic Civilizations 2 has largely taken the throne that MOO2 once held, and Civilization cant' be ignored, but I think MOO2 is the best choice to introduce someone to the 4X genre. (I would also love to see this ported to portable devices, I'd put it on my phone in a heart beat.) Again, it has all the fundamental elements that drive the genre without the slew of "features" (for better or for worse) that subsequent titles have added to try and improve and be different.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:38 am

Paper Mario (for the N64) is an excellent game for a beginner who isn't used to game controllers. The game has a pretty good storyline, very interesting and engaging, and the gameplay mechanics are introduced one at a time, very slowly throughout the first part of the game, yet it doesn't feel like a "tutorial".

The game doesn't require "twitch" reflexes, since it's a turn-based RPG and requires only that you navigate menus. And compared to some other RPGs, Paper Mario is pretty simplified. But, there is the "Action Command" which allows you to boost your attack and defense strength if you press buttons at the proper time, so while it doesn't require you to have good reflexes, it will allow you to build that skill gradually, which will help in more action-oriented games.

It's also just a really fun game in general.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 am

I this would be my list. All of them classics, none of them particularly hard to play. Some a are clearly genre inspired but with a twist, some are pretty unique:

Katamari Damany or We Love Katamari [ps2] (I have We Love Katamari since that came out in Aus but both are comparable):
Really simple mechanics just use the two analogue sticks to roll a ball. The things you roll over stick to the ball making it grow bigger and hence you can roll up bigger objects. Absolutely dancing pants insane and tons of fun. I had a friend who doesn't play videogames talk disparagingly of it and so I just handed him the control him. It took him five seconds to roll up a cow and was from then on hooked with giddy glee.

Ico [ps2] (Shadow of the Colossus is also brilliant but can be trickier to play etc.):
This is a classic along with SotC since it's so artfully done. Again simple mechanics, led the princess around the castle, solve puzzles and ward of monsters, but the game is just so relaxing, engrossing and beautiful. It is just so satisfying journeying through the decaying palace and where you came from, getting a sense that it is a real place.

Okami [ps2, wii]
After the world is destroyed by a demon and all the life and colour is sucked out of it. A young wolf god named Amaterasu is reborn and has to bring the world back to life by use of his "celestial paint brush". I would argue this game started the whole "regrow the world" craze in videogames, though Im sure there are earlier examples. Combines the adventure of zelda, a completely new gameplay mechanic and gorgeous japanese water painting visuals.

Pyschonauts [ps2, pc, xbox]
A platformer stuffed full of humor and bizarre and inventive set pieces. A young kid runs away from the circus to join a pyshic summer camp where he is trained to enter peoples minds (the worlds you play in) and confront their demons. The gameplay sags in a few places but it has many unforgettable moments of genius.

Grim Fandango [pc]
Masterpiece adventure game. Day of the dead style visuals about an insurance broker from the underworld trying to move up in life. Great story, great puzzles, great characters.

Half-life 2 [pc, mac, xbox, xbox 360, ps3]
I don't think I need to say why this is a classic. In fact I could probably make a list of classic parts of gamer culture and mods just based off this.

Acutally just get The Orange Box if you don't have it already. Portal, Half-life 2 and expansions, Team Fortress 2, mac support, you can't go wrong.

Also the Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper series are definitely fun, though open to a younger audience they still provide charm and an entertaining adventure.

Oh, Portal is a must.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

Portal should only come later, after one or two full 3D shooters. To successfully play it, you first need to be able to navigate 3D space from a first person perspective intuitively first.

For 2D sidescrolling shooters, R-Type, the original. I personally think it's less punishing than any of the Gradius games; no matter on which checkpoint you start, the weapons you need to succeed will be there for you to pick up. Of course, Defender should be played a bit before.

For 2D single screen, non-scrolling platformers, Bubble Bobble. It's not too relevant historically, but has fun coop. Or for more relevance, Donkey Kong, Jumpman (Junior) or Lode Runner.

Also, Lemmings. If possible, the first one for the Amiga, emulation on the Mac should work fine. There appears to be a PS2 version with the original levels as well, with better graphics.

For western RPGs, Ultima 6 or 7. 7 is probably better, it's more accessible and runs well on modern machines with Exult. And Dungeon Master, the first real time pure first person RPG of note (don't play to completion, of course; lots of note taking and map making is required)

Since you don't seem to be concerned about violence in those games, how about one of the PS2 era GTAs? I only ever played the PC version of Vice City, which was good and relevant. It's harder to control than the console versions, but runs much better on the PC visually.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 am

I just finished Super Mario Galaxy 2. It was pretty easy, and the Boss battles were actually fun - but it's still at full price most places, if that's a consideration. I might get New Super Mario Bros. next, as I really enjoyed the few 2D sections that were included in Galaxy 2.

Same for Metroid: Other M. I only got it last Friday, but the controls (at least early on) are quite simple, and the main character is a woman (albeit a little fey (oops, no offence Lady) and blandly voiced). Also, the game is strangely reminiscent of Metal Gear: Solid - Samus has the same instant responsiveness as Snake (the way she controls doesn't seem to be bogged down with any pre-rendered animations), and the first person view feels uncannily similar.

Phew, I'm knackered.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 am

If you can get an emulator, Manic Miner for ZX Spectrum is one of the best early platformers...superb level design.

On Commodore 64 try Crazy Comets...the game itself is average but it has one of the best 8bit soundtracks.

On Amiga try Cadaver for one of the best isometric adventures ever.

For shoot-em up try SWIV for clever AI and co-op play.

Resident Evil on PlayStation for everything you need to know about survival horror.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 am

Minecraft, free to play, graphics shitty enough to work on your computer and lots of possibilities, I think that game is exactly what you're looking for.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 pm

I would be much more tempted to work backwards.

i.e: World of Goo before Lemmings

Games developers have had 3 decades to develop their craft. Games controllers may be more complicated now, but not all contemporary games utilise all of that.

No matter our love for them, most 'golden oldies', including many mentioned here, are frankly obscure, abstract, cumbersome and alienating for most new people to the cultural medium. The timeless ones, unlike literature or film, are very very few and far between.

So: Some games which I've played with and introduced to non-gamers successfully (a bit PC centric though)
World of Goo
Plants vs Zombies
Peggle
Aquaria
Spore

Also, DS games are excellent for this too.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:40 pm

World of goo definitely seems a good choice.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Cooper42 wrote:I would be much more tempted to work backwards.

I would agree for PC games, but not consoles.

Console games started with a D-pad and 2-3 face buttons on a 2D plane and now have 1 D-pad, 2 Analog sticks, 4-6 face buttons, and 4 shoulder buttons and usually require navigation on a 3D environment. Even not making use of the full controller, it can be overwhelming for someone just starting up.

This does sort of apply for the PC recommendations since many of the evolutions of the mentioned games are more accessible. Or in other words, I would probably recommend Starcraft 2 over Starcraft 1 to initiate someone in old-school RTS since it has more player aid, though Warcraft 3 makes for a neat middle ground between being "historical" while having most of the more useful advances.
But if you want to keep it old-school, the C&C games can also be a good starting point since macro is fairly straightforward, it helps that they're free

Likewise, I would start with Half-Life 2 over Doom, since having mouse aid makes the games far more playable, with perhaps the original half-life as a middle ground start (though personally I find the movement too floaty).
As a side note, I would like to mention that I've had good success in getting people to play Unreal Tournament. If you can play it over lan with the 2 of you, it's a great way to get used to FPS.

Other than that, I would throw in a Civilization game in there. You may not like them, but they are pretty important games ;) 4 is probably the most newbie friendly, though you can get 3 for cheap with all expansions on steam.

And maybe simcity.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Feud: Worms is an excellent addition to the list. I can't believe that I mentioned, yet didn't put it on. Is there a particular version that you would recommend?

Portal, unfortunately, is not a game that I can include on the list. Even with all settings at their lowest, I simply don't have a machine capable of running it. Perhaps when we get a new computer. Any PC game is going to have to be relatively old---Multiwinia is about as taxing as any machine that I have can handle, and even then, only just. Even then, for all that Portal is a popular game, and it has been around for a while, I am not entirely sure that it has quite made it to the level of classic, and it has not yet really spawned a genre for which it is the type-case. It is more a variant of the FPS, which is probably more properly introduced with Doom or Marathon.

I will have to look up Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and see if I can make it run, though I am going to guess that Wendryn won't have much interest in flight sims, since we can go out and fly aerobatics whenever we want. ;)

MoO is also a good choice, I think. I have never played it, but I remember hear about it when it was still current. I will have to give it a try.

-----

xyzyxx: Ah! Paper Mario. Excellent idea, and I even have that via WiiWare, so it is up and ready to go.

-----

vanarbulax: Heh. Katamari. I love those games. She finds the prince to be really annoying, but I think that if she got that controller in her hands, she would enjoy the game. And the controls are easy to learn. That gets added to the list.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are both on the list of games that she eventually needs to play. She has, unfortunately, watched me play them both through several times, so the puzzles may not be all that hard for her. I also am not sure that these games belong on an intro level list of games. They definitely are required playing, but the controls are a beast (especially the camera in SotC, which often fights against the player, rather than helping). I think I will hold them out for later.

Okami is another good game that I think belongs in a more advanced course. The controls are simple enough, but it is not really a beginner level game, and it becomes tedious after you have to fight the same set of bosses over and over again. Perhaps there is a Zelda game that would be more appropriate to a beginner? Ocarina of Time, maybe? I haven't played any Zelda games since the NES, and those are definitely too much for a beginner, so recommendations of a good 3D third-person Zelda game would be appreciated.

Psychonauts is a good game, but I think that it is probably a little too punishing for a beginner (especially near the end, when the platforming gets a bit more complicated, and when one really needs a lot of the bonuses provided by collecting figments, which most beginners are probably not going to pick up on---and then there is the meat circus, which, to this day, is one of the most frustrating levels that I have ever had to play through). I will definitely add it to the eventually-needs-to-be-played list, but I don't think it belongs in an intro level course.

I've never played Grim Fandango, but I have heard good things about it. I will see if I can find a copy, and give it a play through. It has been added to the list. Half-Life [2] is in the same category. I remember friends playing it, but I just never got around to it (FPSes are not really my thing).

-----

bert_the_turtle: R-Type! Yes!

Lode Runner and Donkey Kong are good additions to the arcade side of the list, but I am unfamiliar with Jumpman and Bubble Bobble. I will have to give them a try. The nice thing about arcade games is that they can be emulated easily, and they are quick to play, so I can add lots of them to the list. ;)

And, if I can find a 3.5" floppy drive, I have a copy of Lemmings for Mac running around somewhere. I suppose I could just download it. Good call on that score.

I've never played any of the Ultima games, but they appear to be fairly influential, so I have added 7 to the list. Same with GTA. Is Vice City a fairly good representation of the series?

-----

Blackbeard: I don't think that either Super Mario Galaxy nor Metroid: Other M quite measure up to the level of classic or required playing. Same with New Super Mario Brothers (which we actually own, and which she will eventually play). They are all variations on a theme, but require some working up to, I think.

-----

ynbniar: Sadly, the only game on your list that I have even heard of is Resident Evil. Personally, I hate the whole series, but I agree that it is an influential game, and should be played. Which version?

I will have a look at the others when I get some free time.

-----

Jordy...: Minecraft is an idea, though I have never been able to get into it, and think that Wendryn probably won't like it much, either. It is a bit to arcane.

-----

Cooper42: The idea of working backwards is not a bad one. It certainly makes sense with PC games, where the mouse and keyboard have always been available, but many modern games have made better use of them. World of Goo is a game that she will eventually have to play, and it does use an interesting mechanic, so it goes on the list. Also, the casual games are a good call. She thinks PvZ is pretty funny looking, so she may enjoy playing, as well.

I ultimately found Aquaria to be not that interesting, and think that, perhaps, Ecco the Dolphin might be a better game if you want to play under water, or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a better example of the genre (i.e. the exploration/upgrade collection style of game exemplified by Castlevania and Metroid).

I might have her play Peggle at some point, however.

-----

Xocrates: The bit about controllers is something that we discussed a few days ago while on the way back from grocery shopping, and that is exactly the reason that I want to start with older games. I handed her the controller at one point to play something or another on the PS2 recently (I don't remember what it was), and she quickly became lost in the buttons. She is even a little bit confused by the trigger (B) on the Wiimote. I definitely think that we need to start with fewer buttons. ;)

Even so, I think that Starcraft is a game that everyone needs to play. It is a classic, and is, 12 years after release, still being played. Though, as you say, C&C may be a better introduction to the genre.

Your suggestion to start with Half-Life before other FPSes is noted. I sounds like a good idea. I will have to purchase a copy soonish. Too bad that there is no Mac version of the original. :(

SimCity is an excellent suggestion. I have only played the original SimCity for Mac---are any of the sequels worth playing (or better)? Or a console version that I can emulate? I ask largely because SimCity on the Mac requires 16-bit color, and I don't currently have a computer that can do that (worst I can manage is 32-bit color).

As to the Civ games, perhaps I will have my brother or my father introduce those to her. They seem really into them. ;)

xander
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:27 pm

vanarbulax wrote: A young wolf god named Amaterasu is reborn and has to bring the world back to life by use of his "celestial paint brush".
Amaterasu is female ;) [/nitpick]

xander wrote:kami is another good game that I think belongs in a more advanced course. The controls are simple enough, but it is not really a beginner level game, and it becomes tedious after you have to fight the same set of bosses over and over again. Perhaps there is a Zelda game that would be more appropriate to a beginner? Ocarina of Time, maybe? I haven't played any Zelda games since the NES, and those are definitely too much for a beginner, so recommendations of a good 3D third-person Zelda game would be appreciated.
Ocarina of Time is without a doubt considered to be the defining game of the Legend of Zelda series. It is a must-play.

In my opinion,Wind Waker is also a must-play.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

I also recommend Metroid Prime (the GCN version), as its control scheme is somewhat simplified compared to most FPS games. Also, it is awesome.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm

If you don't like the Resident Evil games, maybe Silent Hill 2 would be a better horror representative that you both can enjoy?

xander wrote:Is Vice City a fairly good representation of the series?
I'd say so. The original GTA3 always looked a bit generic to me, and the choice between Vice City and San Andreas is mostly a cultural one, the core gameplay is the same. What's more important is that Vice City has all the important bits that make the series good and not too much of the annoying stuff. For example, the map is fairly small, so you won't have to drive for too long from the last savepoint to the next mission start point, over and over again when you fail.

xander wrote:SimCity is an excellent suggestion. I have only played the original SimCity for Mac---are any of the sequels worth playing (or better)? Or a console version that I can emulate?
The SNES version of the original is available on the virtual console, and it's not a bad port from what I read. The sequels are fine, too, up to Sim City 4. I only played the original on the Amiga and 2000 on the PC, though.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”