Behold my creation and be AMAZED

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Love the title. :D

Yeah... I sort of designed the game around the title :P

elexis wrote:I died.

Out of curiosity, how far have you guys got?
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:13 am

I got to level 3 or so. You are making use of my most hated game mechanic, infinite respawning enemies! Perhaps you should start the player with one gun and let me them unlock the rest as they play.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:08 am

The infinite respawning enemies was more or less a design need. I wanted hordes of enemies that died quickly, but I needed to balance that with the fact that they were completely braindead and that I needed to put some pressure on the player so the game didn't just turn into a boring killfest.
Eventually I decided to go with a more hardcore approach while still allowing the first few levels to be essentially a killfest, though I'm starting to suspect I went a bit too far in that direction (just as a curiosity: the difficulty on level 4 is what I had initially planned for level 10 but I personally found that was too easy and that it took too long to get to an actually challenging level).

If you guys are finding the game too hard, I suggest that you edit the settings file by either making the game start at an earlier (negative) level, or by making the levels longer.

The weapons unlocking or not is something that sort-of evolved. I had initially planned for the other weapons to be unlockable, or at least have limited ammo, problem was that this required the assault rifle to be at least a viable alternative in higher levels which ultimately meant it was too good compared to the others and nerfing it to a point where you couldn't just run and gun through all the levels meant you needed the others so I just decided to balance them to be more or less all equally useful.

Though to be fair, I don't think I considered making them unlockable and have infinite ammo :P
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:13 am

I can get to level 6 with the existing settings. After that it was too hard.
I can use the assault rifle continuously to get to about level 2, after that it just doesn't kill them quick enough, so i switch to sniper. At level 6 its reload doesn't keep up the the spawns. The rocket launcher only really had one use to me - to shoot the swarm of aliens behind boxes. After discovering grenades somewhere around level 5 (real men don't read instructions) the rocket launcher became.... counterproductive at best. And the flamethrower just isn't efficient enough.
Health packs we're too rare/ineffective for me toy try to worry about picking them up. Armor had its uses but only when you had a lot of it - which usually involved some sort of "farming" of aliens till they dropped enough.

This is not direct suggestions to improve the game, just what I concluded through the tactics I used.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:44 pm

Your experience is very much in line with my own, so there's that at least :P though I find the sniper to still be pretty effective past level 6 (the trick is to stick to the top of the map).
By the way, did anyone realize that committing suicide at the start of the level is a great way to get full health?

Also, the reason health/armor is so rare it to discourage players from standing on one place farming them ;)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”