My beautiful mouse

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 am

Sorry for asking this, but isn't a mouse... a mouse?

What is the difference between Mouse A and Mouse B?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am

Supposedly, gaming mice are more precise, and are better at registering the fast reactions.

I've never tried one, however.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:27 am

Phelanpt, we should do something about our avatars.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am

microchip08 wrote:Sorry for asking this, but isn't a mouse... a mouse?

What is the difference between Mouse A and Mouse B?

Well I like gaming mice because they're usually solidly built and comfortable, the fact they're high precision and speed is a nice bonus.

Also, I cannot stand wired mice, the wire always pisses me off no end.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 am

CM storm has up to 5600 dpi and two lasers for accuracy. Takes a bit to get used to but its well worth it.

I've also noticed that on some older computers (ones you wouldnt have played games on when they were new) the Storm can use as much as 30% of the cpu when moving. On my normal (ageing) laptop there is not noticeable amount of cpu used.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:43 am

martin wrote:Also, I cannot stand wired mice, the wire always pisses me off no end.

I can understand that, but every experience I have had with a wireless keyboard or mouse has ended very badly for me.

sorry for double post
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:50 am

I like wireless mice (although, apparently, the plural for "computer mouse" is "computer mouses"), if only for the reason that my desktop tower sits under my desk, and the mouse wires invariably don't quite reach to comfortably sit where my hand is.

Wireless keyboards, or rather, the one from Tesco I tried, don't seem very responsive. I don't need to move a keyboard around very far, but I do a mouse. I'm happy with my Bluetooth mouse on my integrated laptop (which only cost me £9, including Bluetooth & the actual mouse), although I have to get used to the relative "chunkyness" of normal mice after using such a small one.

I don't understand how you can have high-precision mice, though: surely, as mouse position is an analogue signal, you only need to move it slightly for it to register on the computer? Personally, I can't cope with high-sensitivity turned on to start with, although I get used to it (and then heavily criticise computers with low settings) after a while (to the extent that I think that computers are slow, when, in actual fact, it's the mouse sensitivity).
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 am

A higher dpi shortens the distance that the mouse needs to move before it registers. Also useful it the refresh rate/frequency. The better this is the more frequently the computer gets updated on the mouse's movements. With wireless there is a very low limit to this frequency.

Also the storm as a longer than usual cord length which means that its much more likely to reach around the back of your pc/desk.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 am

Precision != Accuracy

I've never really seen much point in wireless keyboards. I hate wired mice because the wire always gets caught on something, or tries to pull the mouse off to one side or something - that's not really a problem with keyboards.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 am

I would love to have a wireless keyboard. I have to set my ps3 on the ground for my usb keyboard to even reach the foot of my bed. All just to read these forums on a 42" screen. :roll:
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:01 pm

martin wrote:Precision != Accuracy

I've never really seen much point in wireless keyboards. I hate wired mice because the wire always gets caught on something, or tries to pull the mouse off to one side or something - that's not really a problem with keyboards.
The trick is to make sure the wire points FORWARD, isn't too short, and make sure there are some folds in it (so it can smoothly stretch and stuff).

If I had a camera that's not a piece of shit, I'd show you my setup. The wire has never been a problem for me.

The OTHER computer in the house, on the other hand - the one that my sister usually uses... Let's just say they didn't think when they put it that way. The mouse is on the right edge of the table, and the wire falls just next to it. Let go of the mouse, and it falls. The wire is also sticky-ish, so pulling the mouse to the left is often very annoying.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm

There are these special thingies that fix a mouse wire and hold it up up so it doesn't get dragged down the far end of the table and always has enough room to wiggle around. Me, I just fix mine with a ballpen in the pencil holder.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm

If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, try this! I'm using it right now!
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:04 am

martin wrote:However, my girlfriend came over, and spent 10 seconds fiddling with it, it's now fixed.

As a computer scientist, I'm ashamed I can't fix a mouse :oops:

Computer scientists have girlfriends!?!?

EDIT: Seriously, what do you do as a CS? I'm real interested in game programming, but my (teacher!!) told me the pay is horrible, as well as the hours. Any comments?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:11 am

The fact that two people have talked about the special tricks for making wires not a problem demonstrates my point quite nicely ;)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”