Neptune's Pride Games

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Neptune's Pride Games

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Right. I got myself some space dollars so we can play some nice, cozy, private games. I'll sponsor the first four, expecting someone else to step in after they're done, provided we deem the game interesting enough. The reason for private games is twofold: first, it makes it easier for us to join the same game, and second, it keeps strangers out and we can refuse to play with people who drop out in the future, they are a pain.

For those of you not following the "Games for... The Future!" thread, Neptune's Pride is a browser based space X^4 game with relatively simple mechanics and a focus on nasty backstabby diplomacy. It runs in realtime, but is slow paced, with games lasting weeks and months. It requires Adobe Flash and a Google account (someone voiced concern with their privacy policy, you may want to get a dedicated account).

So anyway, first game. If you want to play, say so below, maybe stating your space name so you know who you are. Cooper42, Phelanpt (with privacy concerns), mibias, elexis and vanarbulax already voiced interest, but I ask them to reply again anyway. There's game modes for up to 12 people, so plenty of space left. Once there are enough players, I'll create the game and send you all the password. I'll do that about 12 hours before the game is supposed to start so we don't miss latecomers.

Things up for voting: The game parameters. I'd suggest we start with a game in a relatively small galaxy (few stars per player) to get the feel of things, and default settings otherwise. The random custom starfield sounds right for that.
Also, the start time. It's kind of important for fairness that everyone can be awake at the time everything is kicked off, not only to give initial orders, but also because 'payday' is always at the same time, and some things are done best right before and after payday. I'd go with Sunday, 22:00 GMT. This sunday or, if you prefer to practice a bit in public, free, games, next week. Problem is, I think the game is started when the last player joins, so the implementation of that timing is up to you lot.

Oh, my space name is Gorbulus. Well, actually, MIGHTY SUPREME EMPEROR GORBULUS THE GREAT, ON YOUR KNEES FEEBLE VASSALS, BOW TO HIS GREATNESS, FOR HE IS MIGHTY AND SUPREME AND STUFF. But that doesn't fit the dialog box :(

Game One, Players:
Phelanpt (Rincewind)
martin (King Martin)
bert_the_turtle (Gorbulus)
Cooper42 (Eccentrica Gallumbitis)
Mas Tnega (Ciradit Irya)
GreenRock (Rock of Green)
Vicious (Vicious)
mibias (Mibias)
elexis (Overseer of SAAAK)
Ace Rimmer (The Rimmer)
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 pm

I think I'm in.

Not 100% yet, so don't count me in yet.

As for the time, I'd much prefer a Friday of Saturday. Sunday just doesn't work for me :/
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 pm

I, Overseer Elexis, of the Republic of SAAAK*, will humor you with these pathetic war-games.

If I translated the time correctly, I have determined that I will be on the train to uni at that time. However it would be very difficult to work a time around me and seeing this game will last weeks I am not worried if I miss the fisrt hour.

*The Republic of SAAAK originally was what I names the AI fleet I created for the game 'Galaxy Hack'. It took me ages, but this tournament size fleet was able to destroy every fleet that had been uploaded to the site WITHOUT using custom tactics for different enemies. Unfortunately the owner of Galaxy Hack has long since stopped supporting it and I have lost the AI.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:06 am

I'm in.
I'm wondering though: will this game require constant attention? Say, for example, daily checks? I know it spans for a while, and I'm wondering about the minimum amount of times we can check on our status and whatnot.

THIS sunday would be nice. I have spring break all this week...

Ugh, and I hate being dumb, but would someone please enlgihten me on this time zone stuff? If we're meeting at 22:00 GMT, what time would it be in my location?
Last edited by GreenRock on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:19 am

I've joined a free game, to check it out first.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 am

I'm gonna join a free game to give it a go.

Like Greenrock, I'm wondering how much attention this needs?
Last edited by martin on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 am

GreenRock wrote:I'm in.
I'm wondering though: will this game require constant attention? Say, for example, daily checks? I know it spans for a while, and I'm wondering about the minimum amount of times we can check on our status and whatnot.

THIS sunday would be nice. I have spring break all this week...

Ugh, and I hate being dumb, but would someone please enlgihten me on this time zone stuff? If we're meeting at 22:00 GMT, what time would it be in my location?
Space travel is *really slow*. At the very start of the game you are able to travel to stars within 0.5 lightyears of your own, at an almighty 0.5 lightyears/day. Each fleet you control can be given multiple waypoints and apart from fleet movement (mostly automatic; waypoints), ship building (fully automatic) and research (mostly automatic; you can set up the next research in advance), bugger all happens in the game.

In short, you can easily get away with a 5 minute check up once a day. Probably less. It's more about the diplomacy and actual strategy.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 am

Ok, since Mas reassured me, consider me in, best time for me to start is most likely tomorrow, or the day after (say 9pm-1am saturday, 9pm-11pm Sunday)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 am

hehe...
I'm totally in then :D
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 am

Hmm.... even though I'd love to be in I can't guarantee that I will be able to play the whole time. School Holidays are coming up and I'm going to be away for all of them.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:55 am

MaximusBrood wrote:I've joined a free game, to check it out first.
Omega Betria, perchance? I think you might be beneath and just slightly to the left of me if you are.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:58 am

I have 1 question.

Are the free games like as if you are playing as a demo, and if you want to continue playing u need to purchase credits, to enter the premium rooms?

Also my game name is Vicious
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:22 am

Out of interest, is it possible to rename stars?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:27 am

Nope. You can rename fleets, though.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:50 am

my status so far.

Green Rock are u in the game with me, their is a players name rock of green.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”