Trial By Jury 2 [The Courtroom]

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Trial By Jury 2 [The Courtroom]

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:33 pm

A bailiff enters the courtroom and says, "All rise for the honorable Judge Rimmer." Ace 'the' Rimmer enters the courtroom and takes his seat.

Please be seated. Case 4:04-IV-04268-4, Forum County vs elexis will now be heard. The defendant is charged with Murder in the First Degree and Embezzlement. Will the prosecution please give their opening statement?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, your honor,

We stand here today to judge Mr. elexis for two nefarious crimes, and yet only one motive. Something so powerful that during human history empires were toppled and thousands died because of it, and it can be summed in one word: Greed.

Thousands of dollars have been stolen from the company Mr. elexis works for. And I'm sure the defence will say that it just happens to be a coincidence that Mr. elexis just become thousands of dollars richer than his income would suggest during that period of time. That somehow he manages his finances so well that he can afford items that you would only expect to see on the house of some renown movie star.
Don't believe it ladies and gentlemen of the jury. It can be shown that Mr. elexis had both the means and the money. What he also had was fear...

Yes, Mr. elexis was afraid. He was afraid that his little scheme had been uncovered. He was afraid that soon all his newfound luxuries would be taken away.
Which brings us to the night of the crime, when a man was shot by another man, perhaps even a man he had called friend, for no other reason that he might have known too much. Mr. elexis may even have believed that somehow everything would be alright, that he would be be allowed to frolic freely with his new fortune. He is wrong. It is our duty to ensure he is wrong.

Have no illusions, ladies and gentlemen, for none is needed. It can be proven Mr. elexis had met with Mr. Neatnit that night in the park, he probably won't even deny it, it can be proven that Mr. elexis fired the gun. There is evidence, there are witnesses. All that's missing now is your judgement.

Thank you.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Thank you counsel. Will the Defense please give their opening statement?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:22 am

Thank you.
(Stands)
Your Honor.
(Aproaches the Jury)
Ladies and gentelmen of the Jury.

We are gathered here to decide the fate of one Mr. elexis.

Now, his fate can only be decided on a verdict, that's beyond a reasonable doubt, wheather or not he is guilty
of the crime that is presented here in this court. Now, Do not be dismayed by the so far baseless accusations by the Prosecution.
As you've heard from his opening statement, He will use various tactics in order to either discredit any testimony of my client, distract you, the jury, with irrelevant information, and/or, promote false motive. Let me just remind you, that his opinion!.... and mine, is totaly irrelevant. Notice the few facts he did speak of were hidden within an eleborate story. Be aware of everything The Prosecutor, or I say.
Now I did not come here to slander him, but to rather, state that facts speak louder than "opinions and speculations".
Yes, I intend to prove that my client is a victim of this great tragedy, and falsley accused of ALL charges. But my words here shouldn't change the fact of the matter, facts, and Witness reports will speak for themselves.
(aproaches center, and looks at the jury)
Know this, that there's more here than meets the eye. This isn't a simple case of murder in the first degree. But it goes much deeper than that, as you will see, will be established here in this courtroom.
(bows slightly before the jury & judge)
Thank you.
(returns to his seat)
Join the Coalition or perish at it's feet!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you counsel. Will the prosecution please call their first witness?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Thank you, your honor.

The prosecution would like to call to the stand Mr. deepsmeg

(and to speed things up)

Now, Mr. deepsmeg,

1) You are the Vice president of sales for Delay industries and therefore supervisor of both Mr. elexis and the late Mr. Neatnit, correct?

2) How long has Mr. elexis worked for the company?

3) I believe an audit took place at Delay industries recently, is that correct?

4) Can you please tell the court what were the conclusions of the audit?

5) Did any of your employees have access to the audit report?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Your Honour, Mr Xocrates, ladies and gentlemen of the jury.

That is correct, I was both of their supervisors. Mr Elexis has worked for the company since October 2001, so a little over 8 years.
An audit did take place, showing $773,000 over 33 months that cannot be accounted for.

Many of the senior executives would have had access to it, and the finance and accounting departments would have had access to it.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:19 pm

1) Where there any other conclusions on the audit report?

2) Did Neatnit or elexis have access to the audit report?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:04 pm

None relevant to this case.

Neatnit asked me for a copy of it. elexis did not ask me for a copy, but it is reasonable that he could have acquired a copy from elsewhere.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Mr. Deepsmeg, it is the job of this court to determine whether or not the information is relevant, so I would appreciate if you did not withhold information based on personal opinion.

Fortunately the aforementioned Audit Report also happens to be Exhibit A. So, Mr. Deepsmeg, would you kindly read the second paragraph of the section titled "opinion".

*Hands over report to Deepsmeg*
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:15 pm

Breaking from character here...
I don't think I've seen that before. Ever. At all.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:14 am

/me scratches head, searches sent box, finds one dated Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:50 pm (GMT-5, I believe) to Deepsmeg, checks link...

In fact, the link still pulls up the old doc I thought I deleted (to remove Xocrates) and replaced with the 'new' version.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 pm

ok. Let's say I said that.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:34 pm

OOC

Deepsmeg wrote:ok. Let's say I said that.

Hum... let's say you said what when? :?

In order to get this back on track can you just quote the section I asked to? No need to go around retconing stuff.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:15 am

Opinion
In our opinion, so far as appears from our examination of books of accounts maintained by
DINAD, and according to the information and explanations provided by the management and to the
best of our knowledge and belief, the said Balance Sheet and related statements of Income and
Expenditure Account which are not in agreement with the books of accounts do not reflect a true
and fair view of the state of affairs as at 44th Transport Drive and its surplus for the years audited.
A discrepancy and deficit totaling seven hundred seventy-three thousand two hundred and
nineteen dollars and twelve cents ($773,219.12) appears over the thirty-three month period included
in the audit. In accordance with DINAD accounting principles practices and procedures and the
guidelines as expressed by DINAD management, one or more of three employees of DINAD may be
responsible for the deficit. These employees are as follows: Deepsmeg, NeatNit, elexis.
Recommendation
Armour & Co. fully recommends DINAD inform and involve governmental agencies in
investigating the aforementioned deficit and divert control of books of accounts and financial
statements to appropriate executive management within DINAD.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”