The Best Movie You Know Thread

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:59 am

If Half-Life 2 plus Episodes One and Two could be considered movies, they would be my pick, because the story is so immersive, and it's real easy to become emotionally attached to the characters, but still with a good balance of puzzle solving and action. But since those technically aren't movies, I'm gonna pick Crank, simply because of it's purposefully over-the-top, rediculous, tongue-in-cheek, extreme ass-kicking style. Just about every action movie I had seen prior to seeing this was cool, but always left me feeling like I got excited for nothing. In other words, I expected to see some bad-ass protagonist shoot up a bunch of bad guys in several intense firefights throughout the film, then compliment each one with with a good ol' fashion Bruce Lee style beat-down. Instead, I get a few good action sequences and through most of the rest of the movie, way too much talking, and not enough shooting. With Crank, I got a great over-compensation, which is definitely a good thing, and thank God for Crank High Voltage. Another really good one (almost even more over the top) is Shoot Em Up (I know I'm breaking the first rule, but these are both way too good to only pick one).
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:23 am

I'm not going to choose a single movie so, in no particular order:

Metropolis
Singin' in the Rain
Touch of Evil
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Why? wrote:I know what he meant; you're just anal retentive. Besides, he said "a sequel to the series"... series means there was more than one.

While the keyword series may have given it away, it would have been lots clearer had he said "another sequel" instead of "a sequel". One half of a sentence says A while the other half says B, that's confusing.

By the way, protip: when trying to point out someone else is nitpicking, make sure not to come across as an annoying person whose only goal in life is correcting nitpickers. Because that's what you are doing right now.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm

jelco wrote:By the way, protip: when trying to point out someone else is nitpicking, make sure not to come across as an annoying person whose only goal in life is correcting nitpickers. Because that's what you are doing right now.

Jelco
By the way, tip: when trying to point out someone else is nitpicking, make sure not to come across as an annoying person whose only goal in life is correcting nitpickers. Because that's what you are doing right now.

Lol, jk, you're cool :P
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Why? wrote:I know what he meant

Perhaps you should contact Derren Brown about your psychic abilities.

Why? wrote:Besides, he said "a sequel to the series"

No he didn't. Learn how to quote.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:02 pm

^ It's called paraphrasing, smart guy.

This is a quote.

NeatNit wrote:So sad that there can't be a sequel, although one would definitely ruin the whole movie series I guess.

This is what series means. www.answers.com/topic/series

This is where you left your brain. Goatse.cx
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:12 pm

NeatNit wrote:
jelco wrote:By the way, protip: when trying to point out someone else is nitpicking, make sure not to come across as an annoying person whose only goal in life is correcting nitpickers. Because that's what you are doing right now.

Jelco
By the way, tip: when trying to point out someone else is nitpicking, make sure not to come across as an annoying person whose only goal in life is correcting nitpickers. Because that's what you are doing right now.

Lol, jk, you're cool :P

recursive definition. sweet. it makes all sense now. where is my haskell book?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Why? wrote:^ It's called paraphrasing

You paraphrased it to suit your interpretation and tried pass it off as a quote. I was merely calling you on it. As I said before, be less fail.

Why? wrote:This is what series means. www.answers.com/topic/series

No one is arguing about the definition of a series. :/

From the way NeatNit phrased the post it could be meant to mean that a second film would ruin the first, "the whole series" consisting of the first and sequel film.

trickser wrote:recursive definition. sweet. it makes all sense now.

That isn't a recursive definition. Recursion is defined here though.
Last edited by Montyphy on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Montyphy wrote:From the way NeatNit phrased the sentence it could be meant to mean that a second film would ruin the first, "the whole series" consisting of the first and sequel film.

That is exactly how I read it. Either way, so long as we can agree that the first one is indeed the best movie ever, we're good. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”