Multiwinia: Battle for the Laser Disc previews (large pics)

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Multiwinia: Battle for the Laser Disc previews (large pics)

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm

K so I've stated a while ago that I'm going to work on a machinima of sorts using 3ds max to create a video, and I asked around for the people who made the MW trailers.

Here's proof that I've been working on it.

Non-rendered landscape edition here.

Here is a non-rendered scenario of my landscape that I've made thus far. This was all made from a single flat box with the use of vertice modification. You can imagine how painful that can be at times... However, after a few quick lessons and some tinkering, I made this all in one day and I'm pretty happy with the result. As a matter of fact, I got this result by 11:30 p.m. last night from toying with it, on and off. The vast majority of the time was spent modifying and adding bumping to the landscape. And since I know that Darwinia isn't perfect, there's even holes in the road at points to give the "new land" effect as if it had just rose out of the ocean, since that's the big factor. Brand new island for this machinima.

However, the are a few things that will change... Of course there will be no such shine, but instead just a bright but barely detectable hint of a glare, depending on how badly it affects my rendering time. It's not going to be super-flashy one effects, and all particles are going to be diamond based as well to resemble the original game. I'm also going to try and find out how to make the sky-scrolling clouds and the water, which I don't think will be too much of a hassle.

Here is a rendered version:

Eventually I'll get it down nice and perfect. You can't see the tiling of the land scape at the moment, but a closer look will show a nicely triangle-patterned landscape. Every point is covered by white lines, too!

If you look at the land scape, you'll see that it leads up to a climatic area. There are ramps leading upwards to a middle square, followed by the center piece. The inner ring which you can barely see between the four mountain ranges is going to be one of the biggest battle areas. The paramount of the mountain is going to hold the enormous disc writing device. There are four bridge connectors that allow access to it, but one must be careful not to fall into the pits; or be hard broiled by the ventilation systems. You'll get a better idea when I post a better picture, once I've got it to look like what I want.

Finally, for this first preview, here's a still image of my gun turrets.

Yes, the barrels will be spinning. And they'll be shooting quite fast. Imagine really fast multiwinians who have evolved rushing one of these things... Not only have they evolved, but their technology has too.

I'd post more but I don't want to spoil it for you. I'll update more as I move along.

Post your thoughts here. This is all hand-animated too, not in game.

At the bottom where there is a little circular pit, this will be a starting area for each team. Four of these are located on all four corners.

Edit: Grenade animation done!

http://www.mediafire.com/?qrivgzvzron

This will be the default grenades used in the machinima. Please turn your sound DOWN if you are a metalhead such as myself, because otherwise your ears will get a royal blasting from a .357 by Serious Sam and Leeroy Jenkins. Then again, I don't listen to my music very loud at all... Still, turn it down so you don't piss off your sleeping wives. Thanks. Also decided to remove the image display of the non-rendered landscape and stick with just a link.

Edit 2:

Here's the quicktime edition for Mac users.

http://www.mediafire.com/?djdhhnvmmlf
Last edited by Major Cooke on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 am

Wow, Good luck to ye.
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 pm

This smells faintly of awesome. What's a machinima?
My other account is Steve Jobs!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 pm

eos wrote:What's a machinima?
http://tinyurl.com/knzbtg

But really, you don't know what a machinima is?

Simply put, it's a movie made about/using a video game, more or less.
red rouge
level1
level1

Postby red rouge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 pm

omg that gun turret looks awsome i want one in my garden
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:54 am

red rouge wrote:omg that gun turret looks awsome i want one in my garden

Nah, I'll wait until he makes a model of the statue where the DG is holding up the world. THAT will go in my garden.
red rouge
level1
level1

Postby red rouge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am

lol yeah
but imagin how less burgulries you would have if you had a massive gun turrt in your garden it would take my whole famly to fire it but ohwell.

or mayby there is a cooler thing....... multiwinian sercurity gaurds with constant rage or a multiwinia map in your garden with lots of foam MWG
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:23 am

Oh, surprise! This is part 1 of 2 or 3, whatever I decide how many sequels there are.

And the gun turret barrels will rotate, there will be water/scenery around the area, and yes it shall be epic.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:31 am

This is looking pretty cool. I especially like that Gun Turret. :D
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks.

The one problem with animating it is you have to do it just about all by hand... *wrists*

Grenades, luckily, won't be a problem as I can just use the havok engine to render it.

My instructor advised me to render the water/sky stuff in a separate render, which just basically follows the camera that had followed the action scenery. Plus, once I get the action stuff done, then it'll rather be smoothe-breezing and just letting the cameras roll to record the ocean/sky clouds, slam them into adobe after effects, make it a la special and we're good to go.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:10 am

*important bump*

Ahem... If you would like to see what I've come up with for the Grenade... Take a look at the first post, at the end.

Oh, and read the big fat warnings before ranting against me, or you are officially a duck.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:34 am

"The movie could not be opened. The movie contains an incorrect duration."

What codec are you using?

xander

EDIT: It'll play in VLC, but complains when it gets to the end: "access_file: seeking too far." Also, the bottom half of the video is black (though the animation writes over the black, so you end up with something like this about half way through:

Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:57 pm

xander wrote:"The movie could not be opened. The movie contains an incorrect duration."

What codec are you using?

xander

EDIT: It'll play in VLC, but complains when it gets to the end: "access_file: seeking too far." Also, the bottom half of the video is black (though the animation writes over the black, so you end up with something like this about half way through

Odd... I used Cinepak... Okay, if anything I'll do it again in the form of DivX.

In the mean time, could you try downloading winamp and seeing if it runs? It should be able to play it.

EDIT: Oh snap, nevermind. Xander, just for you, I'll go get quicktime and export it as a .mov.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:02 pm

Major Cooke wrote:In the mean time, could you try downloading winamp and seeing if it runs?

You're joking, right?

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:37 pm

I got quicktime so I can export it into a .mov. So yes, I am joking. I've got it in .mov now.

See the first post.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”