Multiwinia......

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Multiwinia 2 should come!

of course
No votes
that would be brilliant
14%
yes
No votes
suite yourself
86%

Total votes: 7
Jordy...
level5
level5

Multiwinia......

Postby Jordy... » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:10 pm

.........2!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!! Start voting peeps>!

Some of you know the secret of Multiwinia, and with that I mean it's deeper layers, behind the casual, into the deep deeeeeep deeeeeeeeeeeee... aaaaaaaaarrrrghhhhhh!!!!!!!! yeah deep gameplay!

So, with the bst intrest in mind for IV and with that for me, I think there should come a Multiwinia 2.
I hope you still hung on to this tread because I really mean it, and this are the reasons.

1. The strategic and tactic layers of Multiwinia were not announced and because of this it's hardly known to anyone, I personally believe that's the best rts till now, because if you put crates away there is no luck. And even more important, most rts games use rock/paper/siscor-gameplay, while Multiwinia is a truly unique and innovative rts game. For this it should get credit and I'm sure it will be like by many if not all rts players.

2. IV needs money, with that, it hasn't got much options to develop games, chromosone or something has been cancelled and as far as I know Subversion is the only new game they're developing, but wich is too big too release without an extra cash-injection. Yeah darwinia+ is also going to bring in some cash, and I hope a lot of cash, but it wouldn't hurt to have even more cash, also darwinia+ might be a good game to make a free a path for Multiwinia 2 to introduce to the big public.

So how is Multiwinia 2 going to make money:

- A lot of work has been done, the basic things are there, so it wouldn't be a large money costing project
- Most of the staff is familiar with the game, thus they'll work more effeciently
- To sum the last 2 up; Minimal effort> Maximal earnings, it's all about effectivness!
- Because the sales of Multiwinia went so bad, there is still a large public that doesn't know the game, or didn't got it yet, while they would really like it
- With that, Multiwinia 2 will be different, and maybe when some people hear about Multiwinia 2 they like it and they even buy Multiwinia 1 as well
- RTS games are HOT! And since Multiwinia is a great RTS game and I have no doubt Multiwinia 2 will be even better, it is garuanteed to sale well, provided that it's introduced properly to the main target-group. Maybe throw some simple league stuff into the promotions etc, if SC1 and no doubt SC2 can be a huge succes in te RTS world I see no reason why Multiwinia 2 couldn't

What I think, needs to be changed:

Personally I feel like, the story of Multiwinia is this;

Hey, guys, we need more money to go trough with the development of Subversion. Oke, what about making a fun casual game, for during lunchbreaks at work. Yeah cool, but we can't spend too much time on it, since we got this big Subversion project. Okay, we'll use the Darwinia interface, then we got a good basis to work from. Good idea!
Nice we did it, it's finished! Let's have champagne, PANG!! *halve drunken boss* Hey! Who did the promotion on this game? Does even anybody outside our community knows this game exist?! Ow yeah, damn we forgot in the rush to the release to promote it properly. WE HAVE TO SELL, DROP THE PRICES!!!! Ok let's start doing some promotion as well, maybe steam is intrested? Yeah sure we sell your wonderfull game with the rest of our garbage games, but you have to give us a real low price. The someone reads abot Multiwinia, thinks, hmm intresting... woaw that's cheap, too cheap, that can't be much, well let's check out the demo, hmm no players online, how about single player? yeah it's fun alright, but droping meteors and such ain't that much fun on your own, nah I ain't even gonna buy it for this low price. Recession kicks in, damnit guys, we have to survive!! ok let's sell out souls to the xbox-devil. Now subversion has to be a succes. Waite, whats that? Multiwinia? I don't know what you mean mate. Map-editor?! go away, you really think we gonna spend time and resources on that game?! It's a bastard game.
Well, actually guys, you just layed a golden egg without realising it. You just made one of the bes RTS games there is. Yeah so oke, it isn't a that great of a casual game, wel it's fun kind of innovative, but it's more like super smash bro, on nintendo wii. You need to sit together with couple of mates and play it while having fun, for instance while smoking pod or something.
BUT.... The rts part of this game is just sheer brilliance. Wha you talking about.., there is no bloody single rts multiwinia guy in this game mate... and I should know, I bloody made the game!
Well, yeah I admit, you have too look hard, but once you found it, you can't deny it!!

So pick up your golden egg!! and start making some serious golden chickens!!!

What I like now abut the rts part of Multiwinia 1:

- no unit counters, that is to say, I built soldier, then I built a tank, then I built a plane, then I built some anit-aircraft.
- the use of terrain
- simple controls, interface
- you don't have to be superfast, due too the "slow" movement of camera and of the selecting, this means you got more time to actually think about stuff
- fluid gameplay, not as in, I'm here, you there, let's fight.
- the choices you have to make between strategic play, and tactic play, e.g. do I set up effective supply lines and do I supply the right amount of man to each space, or do I micromanage a fight and try to have my advantage there.
- fast to learn, yet hard to master (omg I fee cheap for using this sentence, but it's true, for once this sentence is actually really true)
- it's like real-time chess, in that you have to pace your man at the right places all the time.
- in big battles as in small battles it plays like real warfare, in the sense of movement
- you continually need to assess the field and your actions, and you can trick your enemy! Because, even tho, everything is visible, you can not keep track of everything and at the same time effectivly play this game, but as I said this is a choice you have to make, how effectively do you want to play in small battles and how much oversight do you want to keep.
- and much more, but it's hard to think of them all, but ps feel free to add to the list.

So what should be changed to attract the more general rts public?

First of all, altho I don't agree, I think that the visuals put ALOT of potential gamers off. I guess they just like simple direct suggestion of with what they're playing and in what kind of story it fits, no matter how much of a bull story it is. How many rts games are not about WW2 or Russia invades America or another country? And hw many don't play in space with races that all look similiar to other rts races, and between ther is no real difference?! For this I praise IV that they did not follow this trend.
That said, 2 races is fine or more, as long as they are really different, as like one race can built structures and the other race cannot. Otherwise just stck to one race, wich is fine.
But apart from the races, I guess people like to identify with whome they're paying, if not on a concious level, then maybe on a unconcious level. And yeah I think it's hard to identify with these cold bastards, wich is good becuse you send them to death over and over again, but maybe they should be a little more cool/cute/stron or whatever to attract to people.
Also make up a bullshit story if that's what the people want.
The general public also would like more options I guess, or maybe more to do, but that would be difficult without destroying the character of the game. But for hardcore rts fans, most important is I think, that there's no luck involved, or almost. Grenades are definetely a random factor, but in my opinion, they are ruled out by skillfull play, and it's one of the greatest features of this game since it makes the use of terrain critical.
So whith some basic new fronts, and maybe softer lines, sounds and colours, I think there can be a lot to win in increasing sale numbers.

The the actual gameplay, the actual gameplay is great as it is, but if you want to attract specificly rts gamers you need to throw out crates and stuff, or atleast make the not random anymore, but for instance they can buy them, or they fight overthem trough a gate-port or something.
Also there should be a good tutorial explaining the main rts-elements of this game. With that I think the formation should be slightly more empowered, and maybe making a feature to create your own formations and adding a movement penalty or somethnig for specific features of that formation, like longer range, more grendes, or other way around, quicker but shorter range.
Or if that would't work then maybe just some new formations.
Also there should be more to do, e.g. more ways to win a game.
Maybe throw some resource gathering into the mix, or even better something innovating that relates to that.
I also think that with the right maps, a game can really turn into a grand campaign, into the sense that you have to plan you advance or defence against an enemy, I think this can be just established with far larger maps alone.

Let me picture this:

General Cyan has to advance trough an urban area, or trough the mountains in order to get at it's opponents stronghold. He assembles his troop in front of the urban area and sends some rangers into the mountain, to try if some can sneak trough and harass the enemy. The enemy seeing this start producing vast amounts of short ranged Multiwinias, wich are especially strong in close-combat fighting. Well into his production process General Cyan let's his front army advance into the urban area, the opponent rushes his short-ranged troops to Cyan's troops. Then Cyan quickly airstrikes an enemy foothold in the mountains, then he sends a medium force to kill the last survivors and establishes his own foothold into the mountain, after this he pulls all his man away from the urban area and move trough the mountains, with his quick and longranged man!

I think with some small changes to the Multiwinia gameplay and by adding some more options to it, as a more friendly interface, Multiwinia 2 would be a great seller!
But not less important perhaps, atleast every gmer has to have heared about it, like every game has heard about l4d, SC2, Man of War, company of Heroes etc. If that means you have to brag about how good it is, or if you have to nag until people finally review it or whatever so be it. Maybe it will be hard to convince people to play it, but once they played it, it can't be hard to convince them how good of a strategy game this actually is.

I mean, I feel a deep pain, when a lead designer of RUSE says that he's being innovative with his new take on strategy games, by letting you play as grand commander as well as a squad leader. And by saying there is no fog-of-war and how this changes the gameplay, and how this is new and stuff! Fodde, I say! Go play some serious Multiwinia, and then come back to give interviews, see what you'll see then! Ahem, yeah sorry, we actually weren't that innovative with our gameplans, it seems some brilliant bedroom-developers beat us to it. Sorry.
Well, I give you this, nice take on the special ruse cards.

IV please consider making Multiwinia 2, and even tho you don't like to make a sequel, we have a saying "nood breekt wet", wich is translated too, need breaks the law.
Besides that, you should see making Multiwinia 2 like this:

You're Michangelo, that frees the beautifull forms, out of the somewhat distorted gameplay of Multiwinia 1.

Nobody get's it right the first time, and perfection Multiwinia, is certainly a thing to live for.

EDIT: forgot the poll!
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:34 pm

You're smoking potatoes.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:40 pm

tl;dr
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 pm

"Suit yourself" would be the correct spelling.

And no. IV already have said many times they don't do sequels, and before you try and argue, Multiwinia is not a sequel to Darwinia.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:50 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:tl;dr

This.

However one should note that Multiwinia wasn't even supposed to happen and it nearly set IV bankrupt. I see the odds of Multiwinia 2 ever happening very very slim.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Why would they make a sequel to what is arguably their least successful and least innovative game?
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:23 pm

...also your poll is missing some options... :?
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:25 pm

principles are there to be broken, and yes multiwinia was not very succefull, but that had it's reasons, and it wasn't because the game wasn't good.

Also give me another rts that is even near like Multiwinia and then tell me it wasn't innovative.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 pm

no is not an option ;)
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 pm

But, you guys are missing the point. Multiwinia is a GREAT strategy game, only in the wrong suite, like a travestite in the body of a boxer. It should be made obvious to eeryone what's behind the normal gameplay of multiwinia and it should be magnified with an magnifier so that everybody directly sees how great Multiwinia is. Mutliwinia 2 could do this.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:11 am

If you want my honest opinion, here it is:

Multiwinia's gameplay has a lot of potential, which Multiwinia either didn't full explore or didn't do quite right.

And while it's true a "sequel" could fix this, such sequel could not exist either as Multiwinia 2 (since it would give people who didn't particularly like Multiwinia the wrong impression, in pretty much the same way Multiwinia already suffered due to being labeled a sequel to darwinia), nor should it be made by Introversion, who have better chances of success pursuing a different IP.

My point is this: the only way I would expect a "Multiwinia 2" to be conceivable, or even successful, is as a spiritual successor made in entirely different terms.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:37 am

That would be nice, indeed! And you summed the problem up perfectly:

"Multiwinia's gameplay has a lot of potential, which Multiwinia either didn't full explore or didn't do quite right."

I hope then that someone will use the core of Multiwinia in there next game, tho that's what I'm worried about, nobody knows it.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:04 am

Multiwinia 2 would never work, and would do nothing to keep Introversion in the black. Maybe an addon/expansion later on but not now.
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:42 am

If IV want to do changes to MW, they just simply release updates. LIKE THEY'VE ALWAYS DONE.
My other account is Steve Jobs!
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 am

Sorry, is Multiwinia out on Xbox yet?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”