Homeworld

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Homeworld

Postby Hyperion » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Ok so im a bit behind the times and only now investing in the Homeworld series (i might have tried it once a few moons ago but i cannot remember :roll: ), just wondered if anyone played/plays the Homeworld games still?

Are there any operational servers still up for Multiplayer games? :) (still waiting for my copies in the post)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:55 pm

I played the original game quite some time ago, and even managed to finish it once.

Never played multiplayer though.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 pm

I think i've started the original tutorial before :roll: but Homeworld 2 didnt work on my system at the time for some reason :? im hoping it will now, i was quite temtpted to invest in Sins of a Solar Empire but thought id start with the supposedly inspiration behind that game (that and my laptop probably won't handle Sins of a Solar Empire very well :D ).
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 pm

SOASE is the new Homeworld, plus the expansion was just released also. It's all good.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Hyperion wrote:I think i've started the original tutorial before :roll: but Homeworld 2 didnt work on my system at the time for some reason :? im hoping it will now, i was quite temtpted to invest in Sins of a Solar Empire but thought id start with the supposedly inspiration behind that game (that and my laptop probably won't handle Sins of a Solar Empire very well :D ).

Sins is an excellent game, too bad you can't play it. I was puttering about in it last night, good fun!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Sins' minimum requirements are fairly lenient. My old computer was well below their minimums, and it still just about ran ;)

Homeworld was (is) one of my favourite games. The best part about it was the huge, awesome manual with loads of backstory and stuff. The game was too hard for me, but I loved it anyway. Sadly, I don't think there are any multiplayer servers up anymore; having said that, perhaps now that the engine has been open-sourced (it has, hasn't it?) the community will have found a way. :)
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm

It is a very long time since iv'e played it, but homeworld was once my favourite game. I completed single player several times, and was fairly good online.

Homeworld has one of my favourite camera systems ever, and online fighter battles were awesome in ways i haven't seen matched since - the combination of unit-types, formations and behaviour modes really worked to create a complicated and interesting dynamic. I'll always remember the grin on my face from the first time my ion cannon frigate fired, or my first trip into the gardens of Kadesh. It wasn't perfect, but the sequels broke some of the dynamics and aesthetics that made the original so good.

I played on a machine that could only just cope with the game - i've won battles where my frame rate was dipping below 1 Hz. I used to spend a bit of time on the relic forum too, where there was an monster epic 'what would space combat really be like' thread.

moth
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Well, since I practically live on the Relicnews forums (Makers of Homeworld), I feel I should chip in here :D

Homeworld is, to my knowledge, the only 3D Real Time Strategy game that gives you the Z axis of movement... that is... up and down. Big stuff back in '99 when it first came out. The story was likewise excellent, as well as some of the "staples" that make Homeworld, Homeworld (for example, the lack of magical energy screens and the use of bullets over glowing bolts of light). Oddly enough it was originally began as a Battlestar Galactica game.

Because Sierra wanted to milk the cash cow, they gave Barking Dog the license to make Homeworld: Cataclysm. It's controversial with the fans because of the direction it takes the series... i.e. closer to science fiction cliche'-land (in my opinion), aiming to destroy all that which made Homeworld unique in the world of sci-fi. It's a good game to play, but has marked differences from Homeworld in terms of story (and fleet play, since most of the "somtaaw" fleet is made up of gimmick ships).

Finally Relic got their hands back on the Homeworld IP and set out making one of the most fantastic games and stories this side of Half Life. Unfortunately they were rushed during production and tumbled out Homeworld 2, which has some inconsistencies and (as a finished product) failed on some expectations. Nevertheless, the camera system in the game was remarkably improved over their predecessors, since you're no longer bound to one spaceship to view the battlefield.

Recently Relic was able to salvage the Homeworld IP from the collapse of Sierra. Many of us Homeworld fans hope to see a Homeworld 3 sometime in the future. Though with Relic currently bending to the knee of other IPs (World War Two and Games Workshop), I'm left to wonder if they'll ever do anything original ever again. It's also up to THQ to see if they want to produce such a niche game, since not everyone gets the 'full 3d Movement' thing.

I love this game so much I can't help but continually contribute fan material for it. Already I've got down something like two fanfictions, countless works of fan art, and an attempt to "map" the entire Homeworld universe based on what we've seen in Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2 (Cataclysm's out, because Barking Dog couldn't get their types of galaxies straight).

Anyway, that's all from a fan's perspective. Homeworld's great- go check it out if you can find a (hopefully legitimate) copy.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Kuth wrote:Well, since I practically live on the Relicnews forums (Makers of Homeworld)

Actually, Relicnews is a fansite. Although since I believe Relic doesn't have its own official forum, it kind of makes Relicnews the unofficial official forums.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:54 am

Just tried to register to relicnews but my email address is unacceptable apparently, lol :? , dont suppose anyone knows if you can capture carriers in homeworld? or how to do it? been trying with multiple salvage corvettes but it just ain't happening yet.

EDIT: just found the answer and no you can't capture what i was after, nevermind :roll: :D

Return to “Introversion Lounge”