Creationism.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:04 am

you know, i was watching yahtzee the other day and one of the things he said was "biggest jerk wins". That about sums up history.

On a more serious point, all wars are fought over or because of these three things:

:arrow: Religion/Beliefs
:arrow: Land/Resources
:arrow: Some git(s) with too much power wanting more. (Needs a better name)

These may not be the catalysts, but they are the overall reasons why all wars are fought.

How do you get the list thing to work anyway?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 am

• hello
  • list
  • like this, it is done
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 am

I see the problem, I'm using the wrong "list".

@ me: FAIL

Just to beat everyone else to it.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:22 am

elexis wrote: :arrow: Some git(s) with too much power wanting more. (Needs a better name)

Greed?
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:28 am

Yeah that sounds about right, except that it's usually hidden behind something eg. greater good.
KingAl
level5
level5

Re: Creationism.

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:50 am

NeatNit wrote:
  1. Make every single human on earth atheist.

Dude, that Stalin guy was a massive jerk and atheist. The problem isn't belief, it's jerks. It's just the way things are.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Imperius Rex
level1
level1

Postby Imperius Rex » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:00 am

KingAl wrote:
NeatNit wrote:

Dude, that Stalin guy was a massive jerk and atheist. The problem isn't belief, it's jerks. It's just the way things are.

Although he was an atheist , he was also a communist; and Ideologies can be if not are worse than Theologies for causing wars
~~Only Two Things Are Infinite: The Universe & Human Stupidity; And I'm Not Sure About The Universe~~
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:30 am

RabidZombie wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:I also want to note, not everything is moving away from us. If this were true we wouldn't have craters nor be worried about being hit by more random rocks. Nor would the moon look like swiss cheese.

I will look into those reads concerning big bang theory. I'm going by my understanding of what was taught nearly 20 years ago.

Yes, because the universe as a whole expanding and the galaxies getting further apart from each other means that there can't be various objects like meteoroids moving about in space.

I was merely pointing out that the all inclusive words of "every other part" (taken as everything) is moving away. I believe I understand the concept trying to be explained is all other "systems" are moving away from one another. I believe that still leaves room for the random rocks not moving away from everything else.

xander wrote:Incorrect. Modern cosmological models do not posit that there is a center or edge to the universe. Or, alternatively, every point is the center of the universe, as where ever you stand, every other part of the universe is moving away from you.

xander

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Going back to this (someone is wrong on the internet, and all), I think I recall that the Big Bang is generally supposed to have happened everywhere in the Universe.

Are you saying multiple bangs all over the place or all of our universe being in one localized spot going one big bang thus happening "everywhere"?

If it's the multiple bangs all over the place, all systems wouldn't be moving away from one another, some would be thrown towards each other.

If it's one giant bang in one spot, it coincides with a central point and outer edges, and the reasonable observations of all systems drifting apart from each other.

I'm really not sure how any other model could work so must read some excerpts from the two individuals previously mentioned in this thread concerning big bang theory.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:40 am

TomCat39 wrote:Are you saying multiple bangs all over the place or all of our universe being in one localized spot going one big bang thus happening "everywhere"?

Why not? In a way, the formation of galaxies and stars are just 'smaller' big bangs.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am

Imperius Rex wrote:
KingAl wrote:
NeatNit wrote:

Although he was an atheist , he was also a communist; and Ideologies can be if not are worse than Theologies for causing wars

Sure, but being a jerk and being unreligious are not mutually exclusive, is my point. Wars can be caused by stupid treaties, access to resources, and greed for power just as much as they can be caused by people who are hell-bent on the dominance of their ideology (be that religious, philosophical, national, etc.) and the destruction of others. So: jerks. QED.
Also, Stalin probably read the Communist Manifesto about as many times as the blokes who remade 'The Italian Job' saw the original. Just sayin'.
Last edited by KingAl on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:45 am

Have I read that before? :wink:
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:21 am

Possibly, but I'm sure it was far less eloquent and used garish yellow dot-points ;)

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 am

It should also be mentioned that it almost always requires more than one Jerk to start a war (a group of people can count as a Jerk)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 am

Does saying "Hey now, Poland is too far" make you a jerk? I think not! Clearly your generalisations are flawed and are to be disregarded.

/ignore elexis

That said, I like this holistic Jerk Theory, we should work on it.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:35 am

I dislike ignorant people. Or people that force their beliefs on others. Or tell people that their religion will send them to hell.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”