Cyan is gone!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
neo1000
level1
level1

Postby neo1000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 am

neo1000 wrote:
NeatNit wrote:
In case it hasn't been done yet PLEASE IP-BAN HIM!!!!

I strongly disagree. This would be censorship.

And? The mistaken idea that you have freedom of speech on a forum is just that, a mistake.

I wrote that in another post: Just ignore Cyan!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:01 am

neo1000 wrote:I wrote that in another post: Just ignore Cyan!

Except, of course, that now it will be much easier. seeing as he has been banned ;)

Three times over, I believe.

PS: by the way, you say that as if it would be either easy or not annoying.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:08 am

If you're going to set the bar for 'censorship' that low, it'll lose all meaning -- it's more akin to editorial control ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:27 pm

neo1000 wrote:I strongly disagree. This would be censorship.

Personally, I dislike Cyan. I think he is an arrogant asshole, and that he behaves like a child (for all I know, he is a child). And if he were only banned for being a disagreeable little pissant, I might agree with you that his banning was inappropriate -- in fact, I disagree with Jelco's decision to ban him from the ladder (even if only temporarily).

However, everyone who joins these forums is asked to follow the rules, and attempt to get along with the natives. The rules are fairly lax by the standards of most internet forums (we don't have a lot of moderation here -- generally, the community self polices, and users are only banned for posting spam, i.e. advertisements). That being said, when someone makes a series of silly and meaningless new topics, it diminishes the utility of the forums for everyone. For long time community members, it creates a lot of spam for us to wade through. For newbies, it gives the impression that this place is an uncontrolled jungle, and, as the forums represent one of the public faces of IV, that image may extend to IV. For someone looking for technical support or gameplay help, the decreased signal-to-noise ratio makes it hard to find that help.

Thus, were I an admin, I would have revoked Cyan's posting ability when he started spamming. I probably would have made the revocation temporary (I believe this is what NeoThermic did). If Cyan had accepted the ban (or if he had created a new account and not acted like an asshole), he would have been able to post again (either as Cyan when the ban ran out, or as his new account handle immediately). Instead, he decided to act like a 3 year old and throw a temper tantrum. Surely that should not be acceptable behaviour.

In short, Cyan was not banned for what he said. Even if forums were regarded as places where free speech could be said to be the norm, Cyan's behaviour was a violation of the community, and a breach of the rules. There is no issue of censorship here.

xander
Spamatic
level1
level1

The shocking truth about EOS

Postby Spamatic » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Once upon a time there was a little 14 year old boy who sat under his duvet all day while it snowed outside, praying that "multiwinia for mac" would be released that day. This is the truth. I am his brother...

SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:35 pm

You must be new!

We don't post this crap here. We have a special random thread reserved for that.
My other account is Steve Jobs!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Re: The shocking truth about EOS

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Spamatic wrote:Once upon a time there was a little 14 year old boy who sat under his duvet all day while it snowed outside, praying that "multiwinia for mac" would be released that day. This is the truth. I am his brother...

And are you going to behave, or you'll do like your "brother" and get yourself banned?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Spamatic wrote:Once upon a time there was a little 14 year old boy who sat under his duvet all day while it snowed outside, praying that "multiwinia for mac" would be released that day. This is the truth. I am his brother...

I believe the only response to such a topic could be.....

ZOMG!
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Spamatic
level1
level1

Postby Spamatic » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Xocrates wrote:

And are you going to behave, or you'll do like your "brother" and get yourself banned?

Umm... my bro got banned?
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:43 pm

No, they think you are Cyan, or related to Cyan.
Since you are new, let me tell you: Cyan was a noob (AKA a total jackass) who got banned for spamming, breaking the rules and threats. He came back twice: once as fuckivy and then again as SUPERREPUS before he got the hint.
My other account is Steve Jobs!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh, wait, seems like Cyan was never one of the Mac guys...
neo1000
level1
level1

Postby neo1000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:57 pm

xander wrote:
neo1000 wrote:I strongly disagree. This would be censorship.

Personally, I dislike Cyan. I think he is an arrogant asshole, and that he behaves like a child (for all I know, he is a child). And if he were only banned for being a disagreeable little pissant, I might agree with you that his banning was inappropriate -- in fact, I disagree with Jelco's decision to ban him from the ladder (even if only temporarily).

However, everyone who joins these forums is asked to follow the rules, and attempt to get along with the natives. The rules are fairly lax by the standards of most internet forums (we don't have a lot of moderation here -- generally, the community self polices, and users are only banned for posting spam, i.e. advertisements). That being said, when someone makes a series of silly and meaningless new topics, it diminishes the utility of the forums for everyone. For long time community members, it creates a lot of spam for us to wade through. For newbies, it gives the impression that this place is an uncontrolled jungle, and, as the forums represent one of the public faces of IV, that image may extend to IV. For someone looking for technical support or gameplay help, the decreased signal-to-noise ratio makes it hard to find that help.

Thus, were I an admin, I would have revoked Cyan's posting ability when he started spamming. I probably would have made the revocation temporary (I believe this is what NeoThermic did). If Cyan had accepted the ban (or if he had created a new account and not acted like an asshole), he would have been able to post again (either as Cyan when the ban ran out, or as his new account handle immediately). Instead, he decided to act like a 3 year old and throw a temper tantrum. Surely that should not be acceptable behaviour.

In short, Cyan was not banned for what he said. Even if forums were regarded as places where free speech could be said to be the norm, Cyan's behaviour was a violation of the community, and a breach of the rules. There is no issue of censorship here.

xander

Maybe I was misunderstood by using the word "censorship". Ban Cyan from the from the forums is one thing (I agree) but an IP-Ban is different. I would really be upset if someone track me down via my IP or even think about it. This is a violation of my personal rights and I don't want this to happen to anyone else. No matter how much he is an asshole.
Last edited by neo1000 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 pm

neo1000 wrote:Maybe I was mistaken by using the word "censorship". Ban Cyan from the from the forums is one thing (I agree) but an IP-Ban is different. I would really be upset if someone track me down via my IP or even think about it. This is a violation of my personal rights and I don't want this to happen to anyone else. No matter how much he is an asshole.

Wait, what?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way...
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:05 pm

neo1000 wrote: I would really be upset if someone track me down via my IP or even think about it. This is a violation of my personal rights .

No, it's not. When you post on here the admins and mods can see the IP you use to post from. Banning your IP is only a few button presses.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
neo1000
level1
level1

Postby neo1000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Rkiver wrote:
neo1000 wrote: I would really be upset if someone track me down via my IP or even think about it. This is a violation of my personal rights .

No, it's not. When you post on here the admins and mods can see the IP you use to post from. Banning your IP is only a few button presses.

I know that, but don't you agree that is different to know how you do it and finally doing it?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”