Darwinia and Multiwinia experiment

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:52 am

Darwinia: made by few, played by many
Multiwinia: made by few, played with many
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:24 pm

coolsi wrote:Darwinia: not very entertaining or engaging
Multiwinia: more of the same

:|
:shock:

:cry:

You don't deserve to stay on these forums..

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Darwinia: made by few, played by many
Multiwinia: made by few, played with few
Fix'd.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:39 pm

NeatNit wrote:You don't deserve to stay on these forums..

First, the forums are about more than just Darwinia and Multiwinia (and in fact about more than just the games). Second, coolsi is a much respected member of these forums, who has never made it a secret that he hasn't enjoyed any post-Uplink Introversion game. ;)

As for my own entries, my brain is still spinning. Perhaps something like "The game that convinced me to waste lots of spare time on in the form of a community project"? :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:40 pm

Insult coolsi and die.

Do people actually read and remember these marketing soundbites? I know whenever I see obnoxious buzzwords like 'ultimate strategy experience with mind-blowing 3D visuals and gameplay' on an advertisement I just block them out of my vision and look at the screenshots. It's nothing I haven't seen before on another hundred advertisements, and it doesn't actually tell me anything about the game. It's useless.
Let's kick this bitch into overdrive.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Adam Black wrote:Insult coolsi and die.

Do people actually read and remember these marketing soundbites? I know whenever I see obnoxious buzzwords like 'ultimate strategy experience with mind-blowing 3D visuals and gameplay' on an advertisement I just block them out of my vision and look at the screenshots. It's nothing I haven't seen before on another hundred advertisements, and it doesn't actually tell me anything about the game. It's useless.

That's rich coming from you. People can insult coolsi if they wish, just as he can insult them. Get over yourself.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Rkiver wrote:Get over yourself.

That's rich coming from you.
Let's kick this bitch into overdrive.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:51 pm

jelco wrote:Second, coolsi is a much respected member of these forums,
Was; isn't.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Disclaimer: I haven't been around long enough to know coolsi as anyone else than a long-standing lurker of the Lounge.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:07 pm

Byron asks for a favour and look what happens. People ignore it, making snide comments about the game, or attacking other forum members.

Shame on the lot of you.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Adam Black wrote:

This is more an exercise in working out what your understanding of the game is. The reason it's limited to a sentence is because anyone can describe a game in a paragraph or an essay but trying to capture the essence of Darwinia or Multiwinia in a sentence is actually hard.

Here's the problem:

Darwinia+ is coming up to the point in a few months where it will be on sale in Live Arcade. Now, we know that everyone on the community here knows about the games even if they haven't played them but there is going to be a very large portion of Live Arcade users who will never have heard of Darwinia or Multiwinia and it's those we need to get the message across to. Love it or hate it marketing is a large part of game development and a necessary evil. I would love to just make games and have people buy them but it just doesn't happen that way - well certainly not enough to allow me to keep working at Introversion. So on Tuesday I have a meeting with Vic and Martin where we will attempt to come up with a plan to get the message across about what the game is to people who have never heard of us - it's a tough job. All Chris's fault of course, why couldn't he have made a game all about cute fluffy bunnies with guns? Would be a lot easier to describe.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Byron wrote:Chris's fault of course, why couldn't he have made a game all about rugged Space Marines with guns? Would be a lot easier to describe.

fix'd?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 pm

I always thought of Darwinia as kind of a territory control game. At any given time, you can zoom out the map and see areas that are swarming with virii, and on the other side of the map you have all your little green stickmen marching in line. It's like you can see which regions are 'yours', and which are still left to conquer.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Darwinia: A delightful adventure in a digital world.

Multiwinia: A frantic multiplayer attack'em-up.

I also liked ybniar's two sentences.
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Okay, well thank you for all your input. It's given me lots of ideas to present at the next meeting on Tuesday. There's some exciting stuff coming up for D+ like you have never seen before. Can't wait to reveal it.
strongdl
level1
level1

Postby strongdl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:25 pm

I will do as you ask, if you tell me what interesting thing happened. By the nature of your request, I'm starting to think that you split out Darwinia, and we will not have a Darwinia+, but two separate titles on XBLA. Interesting to you maybe, but disappointing to me.

Darwinia: RTS action adventure with streamlined RTS controls and a retro 80's art style.
Multiwinia: Take on your friends or the CPU in high explosive RTS combat, including numerous maps and # different game modes.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”