Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 am

Wait, I thought it was an invisible PC they announced? Now I'm confused.

(Joking aside, I'm mildly interested if the price turns out all right/when it drops to be all right. Tech specs are fine. Don't care about the share button, cold about the touchpad on the controller, but suspend mode? That's something I miss on the current consoles. We'll have to see whether their online services and games hold up, of course.)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Just finished Bioshock Infinite. Amazing. That is all!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:47 pm

BOOKER KILLS DUMBLEDORE
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 pm

On that note, I wonder if it's possible to spoil Bioshock Infinite in such a way that people will believe you. Heck, Booker killing Dumbledore would be about as believable as what actually happens.

Credit where credit is due though, it may have been batshit, but made perfect sense and was well delivered.

GOTY candidate, for sure.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Combat system on the other hand look less elegant as compared to previous games, shooting part doesn't give you that satisfying feeling anymore. Of course, Bioshock is not about that.. With announced games to come out, this one should be a GOTY.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Not sure whether I would call it less elegant (combat in the previous two was rather clunky), but certainly less versatile and less interesting.

It was weird. It felt like they couldn't quite decide whether to commit to the two weapon system or not, so ended up with a bunch of conflicting design regarding combat.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:48 pm

less versatile

True, I prefer your choice of words.

Also, economy is overly tight. I barely had enough money to buy ammo, never even close for those magical upgrades.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Laika_rus wrote:Also, economy is overly tight. I barely had enough money to buy ammo, never even close for those magical upgrades.

Don't know what difficulty you were playing on, but on normal I ended with about 2000$ spare. It's reasonably easy to upgrade everything you actually use, though trying to upgrade everything is foolish.

Of course, that's one of the problems I had with the two weapon system: it conflicted with the upgrade system since the upgrades encourage you to stick with just a few guns, or upgrade stuff you won't be able to use for long stretches of time.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

I played on Hard, and had enough to fully upgrade shock and partially upgrade a few weapons. Money felt tight for most of the game.

Hard seemed like an artificial difficulty increase only, though - more HP, less ammo, etc. Occasionally I felt satisfied and rewarded when playing well, but more often than not it was just frustrating. Add to that my own imposed difficulty - playing it on High graphics settings because I wanted better graphics - causing poorish framerates and occasional half-second (or longer!!) stutters while the engine streamed some obvious asset that should have been stored in memory already. (Usually my other weapon, or something trivial. I often found my PC freezing whenever my shield recharged and the little yellow HUD cracks appeared. Unreal Engine 3 is bad.)

In retrospect playing on Hard adds little to the game, and I reckon I would have been happy enough playing on Normal. I agree that from a purely gameplay standpoint, the game has flaws - but unless something INCREDIBLE comes along, this is my GOTY for sure. It's exactly what I look for in a single player game - a fully-imagined, fully-realised world with great care and attention to detail, and a compelling story and characters.

As soon as I reached the bit with the barbershop quartet - and suddenly turned to watch them as I realised what they were singing - I knew I was playing something special.

I'm also now going to replay Bioshock, probably 2 as well, and then probably Infinite again too.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 am

So I got Monday Night Combat as part of some indie bundle or something.

Why is the single player so aggressively dull?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:14 am

Got the same bundle, though mostly for Knytt Underground.

Though I could excuse the crap single player from MNC if the multiplayer wasn't completely dead.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 pm

You're not supposed to play the single player, silly.

But the multiplayer's dead, so--

D:

(i only ever played super MNC, which was better (apparently), but still not good enough to have a survivable playerbase. (EDIT: I thought it deserved a massive playerbase - I thought it was amazing. But the internets decided they didn't want to play it. (I'm also beginning to lose track of parentheses.)))
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm

So it's difficult to avoid this Monaco thing now it's out...I've deliberately avoided it up to now, screenshots, videos, beta the lot...is it the messiah and is it easy enough to play with strangers?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 am

I'm not sure. Don't Starve is what's on my radar right now.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”