Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Okay.

To this day I don't understand the fascination with Minecraft, nor the plethora of different alphas, multiplayer alphas, etcetera that it comes in. (Or used to come in - the latest version seems fairly unified.)

For the record, I used to play Infiniminer with Notch et al in the tigsource IRC. :P

I own the game but have only opened it once or twice, and haven't really understood what is going on.

I understand that the main attraction is building stuff and stuff (and junk) but it all seems like a very convoluted setup for such a simple idea.

Can someone explain to me in a nutshell why I should be playing Minecraft? How can I find enjoyment? I tend to start it up and just wander around. I'm guessing it's much better in multiplayer, too. Infiniminer was a blast.

Please set me straight. :oops:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Can someone explain to me in a nutshell why I should be playing Minecraft? How can I find enjoyment?

It's like Legos.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:20 pm

In Minecraft you can explore, build and/or fight. It's essentially the ultimate sandbox, meaning the game won't entertain you, you'll entertain yourself with the game.

In other words, it's a game where you can make your own fun :P If you don't know how to do that you won't like Minecraft, if you do then the game gives you the tools.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Jordy... wrote:Where are bandages in chapter 1? I got all A levels, but still only find 9 including warp zone where it says there are 20 o_OI

http://www.diygamer.com/2010/10/super-m ... one-guide/

print out this page and reference it while playing the game. alternatively you can use the steam overlay to browse the website while playing.

im still stuck at "The End" at the dr. fetus boss level. so hard.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks!
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:10 am

Feud wrote:It's like Legos.

Legos but with zombie pigmen who attack you while you're building stuff?

Xocrates wrote:In Minecraft you can explore, build and/or fight. It's essentially the ultimate sandbox, meaning the game won't entertain you, you'll entertain yourself with the game.

In other words, it's a game where you can make your own fun :P If you don't know how to do that you won't like Minecraft, if you do then the game gives you the tools.

I'm quite alright with making my own fun - it's the other stuff that gets me. Like the above-mentioned zombie pigmen, other "mobs" and other features which are essentially arbitrary restrictions to my creativity. The "ultimate sandbox" doesn't need these things - these things are for people who can't make their own fun and need a little nudging in the right direction.

It confuses me, is all.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:14 am

shinygerbil wrote:I'm quite alright with making my own fun - it's the other stuff that gets me. Like the above-mentioned zombie pigmen, other "mobs" and other features which are essentially arbitrary restrictions to my creativity. The "ultimate sandbox" doesn't need these things - these things are for people who can't make their own fun and need a little nudging in the right direction.

Which is why there's a difficulty setting called "peaceful" which removes mobs and gives you regenerating health ;)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:32 am

shinygerbil wrote:

I'm not a big fan of that part, so I turned it off.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 am

Soo.. Mass Effect 3, Portal 2, Elder Scrolls V, new IP... lol j/k no new IP for you.

That being said, those are all sequels I desperately want.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:45 am

shinygerbil wrote:

Xocrates wrote:In Minecraft you can explore, build and/or fight. It's essentially the ultimate sandbox, meaning the game won't entertain you, you'll entertain yourself with the game.

I'm quite alright with making my own fun - it's the other stuff that gets me. Like the above-mentioned zombie pigmen, other "mobs" and other features which are essentially arbitrary restrictions to my creativity. The "ultimate sandbox" doesn't need these things - these things are for people who can't make their own fun and need a little nudging in the right direction.

It confuses me, is all.
Because without those arbitrary restrictions, we'd have Second Life... Or the Hammer Editor, or the UDK...

The scope for creativity in Second Life far outstretches Minecraft, yet it has no where near the number of players, nor the noise around it.

There's a reason people love pixel art and chiptune music. Sometimes, often even, it's just nostalgia. For others, there is something about creativity when confined within arbitrary restrictions (i.e: the graphical and audio capabilities of the Gameboy) that makes it more impressive. Same goes for Minecraft.

The arbitrary restrictions (which includes the world being made of 1 metre blocks) adds an aspect to the creativity other virtual-world creators do not have.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm fine with those sorts of restrictions. It's the unnecessary effort to try and turn it into a game, with hit points and enemies and useless inventory items, that I dislike.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:14 pm

shinygerbil wrote:I'm fine with those sorts of restrictions. It's the unnecessary effort to try and turn it into a game, with hit points and enemies and useless inventory items, that I dislike.

Except that there are people who like the game because of those restrictions or don't see them as restriction at all. There are plenty of people that enjoy minecraft as a survival game as opposed to a construction sandbox. And those who don't can simply turn that aspect off.

The game is popular because it's versatile. It not supporting only the aspect you want (but it does support it) is not a failing of the game.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:13 pm

I personally like Minecraft as a survival game more than a sandbox for my creativity. I want it to be more of a rouge-like than a box of lego.

If you want to play Minecraft as a sandbox with no restrictions, I would recommend checking out creative.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 pm

http://www.humblebundle.com/

The YouTube video looks quite good. I came across it via a recommendation from C418. I think it's interesting that Windows users only pay ~£3, whereas Linux users pay double that.

I'm planning to buy once PayPal sorts itself out again. Not sure how much I should pay for it, and splitting between EFF and the devs is going to be hard.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this has probably been posted before; but this is a new pack with different games on it. There's a week until it expires, and, if I read it correctly, you get Steam keys thrown in too. Oh, and Notch tweeted about it as well.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Is Metro 2033 any good? IT looks like fun, and it tis' on sale...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”