Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:48 am

Weehoo, GT5 is en route! :D

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Stop spamming GT5 to hide my SMB spam :) It's up for preorder on Steam now with a 1/3 discount. No downside to the Steam version (it was suspected you wouldn't get the gooball, but apparently, it'll be available via cheat codes) apart from it being the Steam version. By now, I finished the dark world, it's totally doable (20000 deaths). I probably won't go much further, I see one or two obstacles on the path to 100% already that would be very, very hard for my old, slow brain. And I suspected the odd groove I discovered one morning on my left index finger came from gripping the controller too hard for too long. Turned out it really was from the coffee mug, but I'm scared anyway.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:40 pm

[quote="Feud"Huh, thought Poker was just one of those things everybody learns as a youth.

Texas Hold Em is fun (that's what they're playing), but Five Card Draw would have been nice as well. Oh well, still entertaining, especially since you can bully the AI a lot in betting. :D[/quote]

Who teaches it to people in their youth? My mom taught me Squeal and all my friends and I played video games. :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:
Feud wrote:Huh, thought Poker was just one of those things everybody learns as a youth.

Texas Hold Em is fun (that's what they're playing), but Five Card Draw would have been nice as well. Oh well, still entertaining, especially since you can bully the AI a lot in betting. :D

Who teaches it to people in their youth? My mom taught me Squeal and all my friends and I played video games. :P

My family played bridge.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:Who teaches it to people in their youth? My mom taught me Squeal and all my friends and I played video games. :P

What can I say, Poker made for good entertainment at Scout Camp.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Ahh, never went to any of those creepy organisations and I'm not sure even the ones we have in the UK teach that sort of thing, especially as there are no camps anyway, just organisations that meet in Church halls and the like. :P
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:43 pm

When I was a kid, we played all kinds of money games. We even floated money; hold a crisp $1/5/10/20 bill up and try to guess which side it'd land on. Winner got to keep it. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:Ahh, never went to any of those creepy organisations and I'm not sure even the ones we have in the UK teach that sort of thing, especially as there are no camps anyway, just organisations that meet in Church halls and the like. :P

Well, they didn't' teach it, and ours were Church sponsored. It was just sort of something you picked up on your own. :wink:
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:55 pm

jelco wrote:Weehoo, GT5 is en route! :D

Jelco
The unspoken truth about Gran Turismo 5
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Scouts is a 'creepy organization' ? O.o
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Well, the boy's brigade and what-not in the UK were always creepy in my mind, sitting around in church halls being taught about why the monarchy is awesome, then going on marches. . . .
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:Well, the boy's brigade and what-not in the UK were always creepy in my mind, sitting around in church halls being taught about why the monarchy is awesome, then going on marches. . . .

Ah. See, over here we sit in Churches and learn how the monarchy were/are a bunch of idiots, then go on long marches.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:57 pm

Then take the kids into the mountains for a few days alone. ;)
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Cooper42 wrote:
jelco wrote:Weehoo, GT5 is en route! :D

Jelco
The unspoken truth about Gran Turismo 5

bad comment...
bad comment...
bad comment...
bad comment...
bad comment...
bad comment...
9/10 :?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:07 am

Not that I've had a chance to play it THAT much yet, but honestly that link gets me wondering. Screen tears and frame jitters are absolutely absent here, and I've played some pretty slick-and-expensive-to-render-looking races. The fact that 800 out of 1000 cars are standard doesn't really bother me, it's not like I'm ever going to get through all of them anyway. Forza 3 probably had about 200 cars anyway so I think it's fairly equal. My major nitpick is that for some reason those 800-or-so standard cars do not have cockpit view. Apparently the years of delays have not given the Polyphony guys a chance to at least build some kind of stock interior for all those cars. In that regard I definitely agree with the priorities comment.

As far as physics/collision/damage goes, so far it has been a bit weird and bouncy without all the OH-MY-AWESOMENESS-I-CAN-SEE-THE-BODY-BEING-SHREDDED-INTO-PIECES-OF-FIBERGLASS greatness the trailers and previews have foretold. I do get the idea though that this is simply because my current campaign car is a standard one (and the damage model probably only applies properly to the special cars) and the 11 super-duper cars I got with the signature edition can currently only be used in arcade/practice mode which have their own imposed limitations.

Problems arise with my steering wheel too. Eurogamer mentioned that it plays like shit with a controller but that means nothing to me since you shouldn't even try to play a simulator with a controller anyway. However the game seems to think my Fanatec kit talks on different wavelengths every other hour, since once every so often it is absolutely convinced that the brake pedal is all the way down when I don't touch it. Since this is a console game we're talking about and the goal of the settings menus in those seems to be to put in as little useful options as possible, it lacks any form of calibration for steering wheels or pedals. Fortunately it seems to solve itself with a reboot of my steering wheel but it's pretty annoying. It also seems to have trouble recognizing second gear on my stick but I'm starting to think that's actually a mechanical problem since I did put it through some hard times playing Forza 3. :P

There's definitely some bothers about the game and the pretentious media circus surrounding this has been enough to make me hate the Polyphony people with a passion for being fucking assholes who feel like they make pure gold by speculating and never actually doing anything. But so far I have sincerely enjoyed the game and it's going to keep me occupied for a very long time. Worth the wait, worth the money, and oh-my-goodness the Signature Edition is so bloody beautiful it makes my fanboy senses tingle. ^_^ Perhaps I can get my hands on a camera sometime soon, I'll show you the goodness of my racing setup and the collector's goodies.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”