Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Xocrates wrote:Video showcase of Darwinia+ http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex- ... s/17-1954/

Also, in other news Sins of a Sola Empire: Diplomacy was released today.

I love how The GB guy said "okay we're out of time", but Chris went on playing CTS it anyway xD
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:45 am

I dreamt of Introversions next game. It'll be a real-time space combat sim, 4v4, you have to reach the other side of the map and back. Intuitive simple controls, kinda like Homeworld, but more focused, and not an RTS. I know the chances of IV actually producing something like this is remote, but I wonder if something already exists...
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Got around playing Bioshock 2. Haven't played much so far (first couple of levels, about 2 hours) but it's good. Graphics are exactly the same as the first one, enemies so far are very similar (except for the big sister). They seemed to make the story fit, but it feels a bit forced.

You know you're playing a huge and menacing big daddy but it really doesn't feel like it. You can die fairly quickly and your drill isn't that strong, and essentially useless unless combined with plasmids (especially if you are fighting splicers with guns)

Playing on PC and the controls are a bit frustrating. Switching plasmids is horrible inefficient (press q or z). I guess it's because you dual wield now. I preferred the old system where I could switch back and forth. Dual wielding makes me a bit confused and I often hit the wrong button. Something I'll probably get used to I guess. Haven't tried the MP yet, will do after I beat the main game.

I also been enjoying Max and the Magic Marker: http://maxandthemagicmarker.com/

It's like Lucidity (terrible game) and Crayon Phyics Deluxe mixed together. You can control your character unlike Lucidity and you can draw whatever you want, like CPD. Really good difficulty and solid level design. Browser demo is here: http://maxandthemagicmarker.com/demo/
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Dang, that Total War sale on Steam is tempting...
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:21 pm

i just got it :D
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

so dull... why do you tag it as good? Lucidity had atleast better art then this terrible game.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 am

Or rather, why do you think it's terrible? I explained why I liked it, and you simply said it's terrible without explanation. Full game fully showcases how good the level design gets, especially in later levels. Not an especially deep game, but a solid experience. It's more of a casual game, I don't think it's meant to appeal to the hardcore gamer or anyone looking for a deeper or more difficult experience.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 pm

damnit, got a whole text, but lost it to this old IV bs that it doesn't save your text. Anyway, in short, no inspiration, just a way to make money for this guy, it brings nothing new and if you compare it to other indie games like brad, goo, trine, Ai wars, etc it pales in comparison not to mention even free indie games are better then this one. Story, art and gameplay are all average or below and 15 euro is just too much, hell, 3 euro would almost be too much. He didn't make this game out of love, or so it seems.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:26 pm

So, Bioshock 2...

Personally I quite liked it. For the most part if feels like a more streamlined (detractors would say dumbed down) version of Bioshock. However while this is perhaps its biggest strength it's also its biggest weakness.

You see, a lot of the game feels like they're remaking the first one. With similar progression and even similar characters: Lamb as (anti-)Ryan, Sinclair as Atlas, and Eleanor as Tenenbaum. The main difference is in the ending in that it doesn't actually sucks.
The new moral choices available were also fairly interesting.

By the way, don't go into this one if you've never played the first. They treat the plot twists of that one as if it was common knowledge.

All in all, it was a pretty damn good game that I can solidly recommend.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:20 am

So I've been playing Empire: Total War bit lately (got it during the sale), it's a mighty fun game.

I'm doing the American Independence Campaign, the war is young but things have gone quite well so far. It's mid 1776, and my Army under the command of General Washington just met Lord Cornwallis on Long Island. I'm happy to report the Red Coats have just suffered a humiliating defeat in which their New England expeditionary force was broken and scattered, with Cornwallis falling during a last desperate cavalry charge to break our lines. :D

There is much fighting to go, many more battles to win, but Lady Liberty is off on the right foot!
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:21 am

Yes its a good game, but my computer is aging and the lower quality settings are hideous.
Yes there is a long list of particle effects, shiny things and textures that you can dial down, but the single biggest lag inducing feature are the models. A standard land unit consists of 80 or so people, each with poly counts greater than that of HL2 characters. Now in previous games like Rome: Total War there was an "even crapper" model setting that at least halved the poly count of units that were so far away. Then when the units were really tiny they would be replaced by a low rez image, which at that size was fine. But for people in E:TW there is no "even crapper" model setting. This means that I have to either play it with high res models at a non-existant framerate or to have my units rendered from 8*16 sprites at every resolution.

</rant reason="purchased retail for AU$110>
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 am

elexis wrote:Yes its a good game, but my computer is aging and the lower quality settings are hideous.
Yes there is a long list of particle effects, shiny things and textures that you can dial down, but the single biggest lag inducing feature are the models. A standard land unit consists of 80 or so people, each with poly counts greater than that of HL2 characters. Now in previous games like Rome: Total War there was an "even crapper" model setting that at least halved the poly count of units that were so far away. Then when the units were really tiny they would be replaced by a low rez image, which at that size was fine. But for people in E:TW there is no "even crapper" model setting. This means that I have to either play it with high res models at a non-existant framerate or to have my units rendered from 8*16 sprites at every resolution.

</rant reason="purchased retail for AU$110>

My compy is five years old, it's running it pretty well (albeit on the lowest settings). Haven't tried naval battles yet though.

Update: It's now 1783 and the war is running behind schedule. The Southern States need to be retaken, but I don't think there are any major British armies left in the colonies. Just trying not to overextend my advance South.

The reason for the delay is that what was originally intended to be a minor feint to draw occupying troops away from Philadelphia degenerated into a full blown invasion and annexation of Canada. Looks like Quebec is going to be the 14th colony...
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:19 am

My computer is almost exactly the minimum specs for the game (higher in the cpu and ram department... barely). The fact still remaind that if I knew that at the maximum playable quality is would look WAY worse that any total war game I have run on my laptop before I wouldn't have bought it (including Medieval 2). That said I did like the land battles a lot. The sea battles seemed overly complex though (probably why in real life every ship has a captain to do the more mundane stuff).
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 pm

I loved the naval battles! Mainly because the sea and ships looked gorgeous on the max settings ;) ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 pm

http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicor ... -game.html

Has taken up FAR too much of my time at work.

Erasure 4 da win!
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”