Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:06 am

microchip08 wrote:I feel quite special having been in the first 1,500 (out of ~180,000) to buy Humble Bundle 2, although I'd be surprised if I beat everyone on this board. I just noticed that the Obulis soundtrack is available to download too, so I'm feeling happy today.

In other news, I went and bought SMB for £3, and then gifted another copy to a friend as a Christmas present, who has then turned round and sent a £20 game in my direction. I'm now feeling quite guilty; any suggestions on what to do, other than to stop putting expensive games on my wishlist? (Do I send him a more expensive gift?)

Clearly, you need to give him a gift of greater value. I suggest that you round up your village and hold a moka.

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am

Back To the Future game has come out. Hopefully I'll be able to play it before Christmas :P

EDIT: Just played it. Seemed a bit short, which made me feel like they didn't develop the characters or setting enough. It's pretty solid all around, but didn't felt particularly outstanding.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Arg. Silent Hunter 5 looks really good, but I really don't want to support the DRM it uses. :?
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:03 pm

When did it came out? Always been interested in that series, but it seems so hardcore, and is there even a descent online player base?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:07 pm

Number V came out earlier in the year, but it's on sale for $10 on Steam, which is what got me thinking about it.

Not sure about the online portion, the series has a strong modding community and forum network but not really a multiplayer base. I'd probably play it more as a single player game anyway, like the previous titles.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Hmm, ok thanks, I think someone else told me it wasn't to, to good, well descent, but not really great, he said silent hunter 3 was porbably best.

In other news, anyone tried Apox beta?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:39 am

I finished all the regular levels in Super Meat Boy today. (Dark World included, of course.) So....just Warp Zones and Bandages to go!

I have actually come to dislike a few aspects of the game. Actually, they can be summed up as one thing: anything that points at you and shoots.

They add that element of random which I was pleased to find lacking in the rest of the game. I guess I'm a sucker for determinism in my games; I did enjoy Braid for precisely that reason, after all. It was a well-oiled machine, with nothing left to chance, and it was nice to be able to feel the hand and the intent of the designer at literally every turn. The levels in Super Meat boy are equally complex machines ticking away; just sticking you in a room with a bunch of homing rockets detracts quite heavily from that feeling.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's lazy design, but it is something of a shortcut to difficulty. I think that, for the most part at least, they are well-used; just occasionally they seem to force you to rely on - I don't even want to mention it - luck.

Still the best game of 2010 for me, hands down.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:25 pm

shinygerbil wrote:I finished all the regular levels in Super Meat Boy today. (Dark World included, of course.) So....just Warp Zones and Bandages to go!

I have actually come to dislike a few aspects of the game. Actually, they can be summed up as one thing: anything that points at you and shoots.

They add that element of random which I was pleased to find lacking in the rest of the game. I guess I'm a sucker for determinism in my games; I did enjoy Braid for precisely that reason, after all. It was a well-oiled machine, with nothing left to chance, and it was nice to be able to feel the hand and the intent of the designer at literally every turn. The levels in Super Meat boy are equally complex machines ticking away; just sticking you in a room with a bunch of homing rockets detracts quite heavily from that feeling.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's lazy design, but it is something of a shortcut to difficulty. I think that, for the most part at least, they are well-used; just occasionally they seem to force you to rely on - I don't even want to mention it - luck.

Still the best game of 2010 for me, hands down.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I couldn't stand the rockets (or worse, the crocodile missile things) for exactly the reason you just mentioned. In stark contrast, I had absolutely no problems with the rockets in N/N+, simply because it felt a lot more rewarding if you got past them, and a hell of a lot less down to chance when you didn't.

That, and SMB's ridiculous assumptions of 60hz and it's frame skipping.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:08 pm

I've been thinking, I hope they make a third No One Lives Forever.

While playing Bad Company 2 and then later Splinter Cell Conviction, I realized that the games had a few moments that really reminded me of what NOLF was doing (arguably better) ten years ago.

Here's to hoping...
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:58 pm

RabidZombie wrote:(or worse, the crocodile missile things)
I call them black demons, and yes, they're horrible.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:59 am

I would like to point out that Darksiders is proving itself to be extremely awesome, and as such it is your duty to take advantage of the second chance sale on Steam and get it ASAP
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:53 am

What kinda game is it? And why is it awesome? Thank you for your appliance my friend.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:12 am

Jordy... wrote:Thank you for your appliance my friend.

What, he give you a toaster or something? :wink:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Jordy... wrote:What kinda game is it? And why is it awesome?

It's a God of War inspired Metroidvania.

As to why it's awesome: Even disregarding the part where you're playing as a Motherfucking Horseman of the Apocalypse after the Motherfucking Apocalypse we have:

- Solid combat
- Which includes solid boss fights (a rarity)
- Solid Platforming/puzzle
- Interesting and well rounded (if not particularly original) characters
- Loads of variety
- Interesting OTT visuals
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:07 pm

What does that mean? Giving someone a toaster?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”