Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:FTL.

That fricking game.

It's beautiful, yet horrible at the same time.

I've been playing it for I don't even know how long now, probably a good 20-30 hours and I've almost beaten it 3 times now. . . .

Very much a "just 1 more go....shit it's 1am!" game.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Xarlaxas wrote:FTL.

That fricking game.

It's beautiful, yet horrible at the same time.

I've been playing it for I don't even know how long now, probably a good 20-30 hours and I've almost beaten it 3 times now. . . .
46 hours myself, according to Steam. Though that includes the couple of months of beta.

It does draw you in though. Just unlocked to 4-pad teleporter on the second variant of the Mantis ship.

I may be in love with a pixelated spaceship.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Feud wrote:Got the full version of Kerbal Space Program.

Excellent, excellent sandbox.

[youtube]inkkLAfFIbY&feature=related[/youtube]
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Wargame: European Escalation is on sale at a 66% discount at the moment (until thursday, I believe). I've just completed downloading the 3rd free DLC (new maps, game mode etc.), so why am I typing this and not playing?!! BYE...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 am

I saw that Ace, a nifty mod.

Landed my first Kerbin on the Mun today. Sadly, we were a bit hot on the landing and the engine exploded. The lander itself survived, but there was no way to make the return trip. Nothing to do but wait, and remember where we'd come from.

He was a good man...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Edit: got Great Big Wargame on the google apps sale.

Definitely worth the 25 cents it cost.

http://www.rubicondev.com/gbwg/

Great for passing the time on the metro.

Reminds me a lot of the older Red Alerts, if they were turn based tactical rather than RTS.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Forza Horizon arrived yesterday. In a nutshell it's a bit like Burnout Paradise with Forza physics and handling - basically a game I'd been looking for over the past few years (and almost but not quite found in TDU2). The damage is purely cosmetic which does make the game very forgiving for handling errors, although you still can't take a corner with mach 1 by throwing yourself at the barriers NFS-style and sliding through without any loss of speed. The huge open world with lots of different environments is great, because you can easily occupy 15 minutes of your time going on a sightseeing tour from one end of the map to the next if that's your kind of thing.

Major gripe: no local multiplayer. What the hell were they thinking? This worked well in previous Forzas and this kind of arcade-ish gameplay is perfect for it. Perhaps the slightly uptuned environments make rendering the world twice a difficult task, but it doesn't look that different from Forza 4 and that handled it perfectly. I'm hoping (against better judgment though) that a patch will introduce this later on. Now we're just handing the controller around from time to time on one account to explore the world, but for actual competition we'll have to go back to Forza 4 I guess.

---

Interestingly I decided to get the free month of Xbox Live Gold yesterday (I don't play a lot online, but some free DLC for Forza requires Gold) and now suddenly the system claims I have a 12-month subscription, for which I didn't pay. I'm curious to see if this will suddenly fall apart in one month and the system just glitches in showing the subscription details, or if the subscription management properly glitched when I applied for the free month.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:16 pm

having a blast on forza horizon. just got 3 barn finds to go. and driven 213 roads. and loving cruising around on my nissan gtr and jeep srt8

Interestingly I decided to get the free month of Xbox Live Gold yesterday (I don't play a lot online, but some free DLC for Forza requires Gold) and now suddenly the system claims I have a 12-month subscription, for which I didn't pay. I'm curious to see if this will suddenly fall apart in one month and the system just glitches in showing the subscription details, or if the subscription management properly glitched when I applied for the free month.

Jelco

i think you got the 12 months subscription plus a 1 months free.
the xbox live plans are: free, gold (12months) and family.

also just a tip get your xbox live @ amazon which could usually be 10-15 bucks cheaper. and the code is a instant as in downloadable.
The Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby The Mighty Santa » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 am

Can't wait for Heart of the Swarm :D
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Press R to restart
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Go give money to Distance. It looks awesome and I want that game.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:20 pm

jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:28 pm

We got to test Kinect last night. A housemate had a uni-owned one at home for a project, so when he had some hours to spare we decided to hook it up to my X360 and give it a spin. Overall consensus: meh.

The main problem is probably that we only have a couple of games, none of which are really fit for Kinect-based gameplay. First attempt was Forza Horizon, but despite the availability of Kinect settings it didn't seem to want to let us play with it. Next stop: Forza 4. Autovista works well with it, although it takes some getting used to and there's the unshakeable feeling that it's mostly a tech demo. Racing proved rather unpractical since the device continuously lost track of the players, and otherwise the automatic gas/brake/shifter makes it feel quite boring. Last, we tried FIFA 13, which proved to be limited to voice control. That concept worked quite well for those of us speaking English without a strong non-native accent (I was almost always understood, my housemates not so much). However, everything is controllable otherwise through the pause menu, and it's a lot easier having the time to navigate that menu than it is navigating several on-screen menus through voice control while staying focused on the game. The Be A Pro mode (in which you control 1 player instead of a whole team) had the plus-side that you could scream at teammates to play the ball to you or tell the keeper to charge, but the recognition takes such a long time that circumstances have generally changed greatly by the time the given command actually kicks in. We ended up with one person playing a game while the rest of us were continuously screwing up his team by switching tactics and formations as well as substituting defenders for strikers and vice versa, which was fun for about 10 minutes - then we decided to just play the game the conventional way.

I still think the technology is quite nice. Once we figured out the commands it became quite easy to navigate the home screen and e.g. start games using voice control. Setting up the Kinect IDs worked out well because we would occasionally be recognized by the system when walking across the room, accidentally getting in view of the Kinect. The problem is that the technology is pointless without proper implementations, and I simply haven't seen a good demonstration of that yet. Most of these implementations are just there for the sake of doing something with Kinect, with some of them working poorly and not comparing to conventional gameplay and others never really getting rid of the regular controller. We didn't get to test the standard Kinect games since we didn't have the demo disc, but I have the feeling that doesn't transcend a tech demo either. Beyond the extremely limited scope of dancing games, I don't see the use in this thing, and with that in mind it's just impossible to justify the price.

This wouldn't be quite as disappointing had I not heard promising stories from close friends (especially compared to things like the Playstation Move) including stories about the technology - there's a reason the university owns a couple of these things. As it stands, it's just a waste of potential with clunky and gimmicky implementations. Long story short: I'm glad I got to test it, but only to justify not having bought one myself.

Jelco

PS: Yes, our X360 game collection is really that limited. There's just one other X360 game in the house (Forza 3) and it lacks Kinect support. (Did I mention I'm a Forza fan?)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Heh, complaining Kinect is shit for the games you tried is like complaining your fancy steering wheel is bad for shooters :) I don't think there is even one compelling "Better with Kinect" game (Well, game, yes, but not the Kinect part). You do need full Kinect games. And, as you say, dancing games. I only have Dance Central 1, but that already is quite good (quit only when the excuse for progression forced me to dance to Soulja Boy and do da Supaman) and the sequels apparently improved quite a bit. Also, Fitness games. The Ubisoft ones (Your Shape?) especially. Reminds me, I need to fetch Child of Eden, should be sufficnently cheap now. And there is good kids stuff, but you're not old enough for that to be interesting again :)

But you're right, of course. Even the best Kinect games are just pretty good, there is nothing truly excellent. The lag and lack of accuracy is going to hold it back for the rest of this generation. Thus, probably not worth the money for most.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 pm

The best use I've seen with the Kinect is the ability to use it during the autonomous period in FRC 2012. It was also met with "meh" reception and very few teams used it (we sure didn't), but in retrospect it could have given quite an edge, were the default implementation not so limited as it was. I did get to play my fair share of Kinect games and overall I was annoyed by it never doing what I wanted it to do.

The main thing I completely hate about Kinect and even Playstation Move (which admittedly I have never played) is that they try to do something with no potential - motion just for the sake of motion. They made the technology, now they expect games to use the technology. Then it becomes clear that the technology is essentially useless.

With the Wii it was a whole other story. Nintendo has time and time again proved that, as much as it never ever looks like it, they know exactly what they're doing when it comes to games. The Wiimote turned out to offer exactly what games could actually use - a handful of buttons (you need buttons!!), basic motion control, and aiming at the screen. That's all you need. That's all you're ever going to need. Aiming at the screen is incredible for first-person games. I've played Call of Duty 3 on the Wii, and while graphics were completely shit, the game was enjoyable. Not to mention Metroid Prime 3 (which while not being as good as the previous two, was still an okay game).

I never looked into what Wii MotionPlus was, as I've played a handful of Wii games already and saw no problems with its motion controls. Whatever.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”