Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 am

Lately my after work downtime has been spent at DayZ. Would definitely recommend it to survivalist/zombie fans.
Eating without Tabasco® Sauce is like a computer without a OS.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 am

I've been told, by my brother who plays it a lot, not to bother as it's too full of griefers and bugs.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm

NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Laika_rus wrote:http://universesandbox.com/
Is that a game or something more like Google Earth?

I bought it, and have absolutely no idea why.

Edit: Damn, Kid Icarus: Uprising is so great. The graphics are good (for a Nintendo handheld console) and the gameplay is decent, but what I like most about it (and what a lot of people seem to hate, sadly) is the dialog that plays throughout the entire game which changes the game from "kill everything" to "kill everything, but there's a really awesome point behind it". Every level has at least one twist in the story, something I'm sure the developers had so much fun with. Gah, there's just so much going on I can't sum it up with words.

The multiplayer is also very smooth and fun, and while it's too bad there's no voice chat (the 3DS has a mic and, of course, speakers built in) it's still quite awesome, but really the singleplayer campaign is where the fun is for me.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Nice, planetoids. I so want to be able to pledge $5,000 and have them build me a giant Mario Mech. :mrgreen: (great too how they can avoid the arbitary borders you must have on traditional flat RTS maps).
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I might be playing Planetside 2. It might be fucking brilliant.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Blackbeard wrote:

Nice, planetoids. I so want to be able to pledge $5,000 and have them build me a giant Mario Mech. :mrgreen: (great too how they can avoid the arbitary borders you must have on traditional flat RTS maps).

The planetoids apparently somehow have a rectangular playing area mapped on to them, so that they just loop at the top and bottom, rather than being a true spherical surface somehow. Not quite sure how that works when it comes to the poles - but we'll see. I could also be wrong, but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Meanwhile, THOSE ARE THE GUYS WHO MADE SUPER MONDAY NIGHT COMBAT WHICH I WENT ON AND ON ABOUT AND NOBODY PLAYED :(

This will be the first Kickstarter I've ever backed (and likely the last, at least for a while.) I'm surprised when I look at the list of backers - and next to a good proportion of them I see "20 other projects backed" - where do these guys get all that moolah?!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Meanwhile, THOSE ARE THE GUYS WHO MADE SUPER MONDAY NIGHT COMBAT WHICH I WENT ON AND ON ABOUT AND NOBODY PLAYED :(

I dabbled in the beta, didn't particularly enjoy it. Wasn't bad, mind, I just wasn't having fun.

I did throw 40$ for the planetary annihilation kickstarted though, however I did so more because it sounds like an awesome idea that needs to happen than actually thinking I'll enjoy the game (I didn't particularly enjoy Supreme Commander after all).

I also pledged 10$ for project Giana that's in need of some more love.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:44 am

Well, according to Twitter, IV just back PA too :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:37 am

Ran into some money and I don't know what to buy on Steam. It's too overwhelming. I could use some suggestions. CS: GO looks pretty cool, but I'm afraid of getting bored too easily.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 am

How much money? What kind of game?

Mirror's Edge and Just Cause 2 are both on sale for pennies and are both worth getting. I can also toss you a 75% discount for Portal 2 in the off chance you don't own it yet. Darksiders 2 is in need of more love and it's a huge game, though a rubbish port.
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Dota 2 if you didn't get an invite.
Limbo
Machinarium
CS: GO if your into fps and a quick shooter before heading to work.
skyrim if don't have it yet.
or get all steam IV games
and while we're at it, i too got a 75% off for portal 2 if anyone needs it and got BIT.TRIP RUNNER to trade or give.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 pm

shinygerbil wrote:THOSE ARE THE GUYS WHO MADE SUPER MONDAY NIGHT COMBAT WHICH I WENT ON AND ON ABOUT AND NOBODY PLAYED :(
I really wanted to like SMNC when I tried the free weekend a while back, but it was pretty bad at teaching you the fundamentals such as positioning or combinations of strategies. After a dozen games, I still had no idea what I was doing wrong. Whenever I was playing online, I would be following instructions from those who knew what they were doing, but I couldn;t make the connections between choices of strategies and why / how they were working.

I don't mind failing, and I don't mind following instruction, but I like to be able to learn from mistakes or be able to intuit why good tactics are good tactics for a given game / situation. I found neither of these were possible in SMNC for me.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:54 pm

So, Darksiders 2, thoughts:

First lets get this out of the way: The PC version is a rubbish and buggy port, which I hope they properly fix.

The game itself is... kind of weird.
Now, don't get me wrong, it is a good game, in fact I would hard pressed to find a piece of content that I could call outright bad, but I find the game struggles with contextualizing what's going on and as a result the perceived pacing for the game varies wildly. I didn't figure out what the main plot actually was until the end of the first "act" some 10 hours in, and by the end of the second "act" some 8 hours later said plot had pretty much not advanced, however around 5 hours later, half of it spent on tangents, the game was over.

Which is why the game feels so weird, the game feels immensely padded, yet the padding is the actual game.

Other than that there are a few feature conflicts that are essentially harmless (like the fact that there is a lot of endgame content and collectibles, but there's also a new game+ which I assume denies you the ability to complete the first run. Or the fact that chest appear to drop loot based on your level meaning that optimal way to play is not to open chests until you really need to. Or the fact that while every type of gear has its own inventory, secondary weapons, of which there are a lot of different types, are all filed under the same category).

Oh, and possessed equipment can become incredibly broken once you figure out how they work. That said, I do love my broken scythes of brokenness.

Comparisons to the first game are also tricky, mostly because they're significantly different in their approach, however I would say the first game is the better one, if perhaps the least interesting of the two, due to two points: Pacing and setting.

I discussed the pacing issues of the second game, and the setting point comes down to personal preference. Thing is, I loved the post-apocalyptic real world overlaid with high-fantasy where everyone is a bit of a jerk setting from the first game, and that's essentially absent from the sequel, even though the game has some really good locations. This particularly annoyed me in the first act, which is almost the complete opposite of the first game in terms of setting.

So, yeah, it's a good game with loads of content, but it's probably best enjoyed if you just want to stab stuff, steal their loots, and enjoy some puzzles.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”