Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat May 26, 2012 6:47 pm

It's not just an issue of covering the cost.

As you mentioned, the distributor opens up a larger market for the developer. That's what they have to offer, it's a service that they've taken the time to build and cultivate just as the developer has taken time to develop a commodity. Just like a developer has the right to negotiate their product, the developer has the right to negotiate their service. That the service's costs are being covered by a given price is irrelevant, it is their product that the developer is seeking to use. The same reasoning that says that developers should be able to control pricing also says that the distributor should be allowed to control the pricing of the product that they themselves have developed.

How the relationship between the two is balanced is a matter of business negotiation. If as a group they are being screwed, they are free to pursue alternative pricing and distribution schemes (the humble bundle being a successful model of that).

That being said...

Rereading the website made me realize that I misunderstood the point of the sale. Rather than asserting a claim to control they are instead celebrating those retailers that allow them greater control of their product. If that's the relationship that the two businesses have decided to have together, then more power to them.

My mistake.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 am

Has anyone tried this out? I put a few hours into it and want to come back for more.
http://www.pleasantvillebynight.com/

Pleasantville by Night is a web-based role playing game set in the idyllic town of Pleasantville. Although by day Pleasantville is a model community, at night it's filled with monsters and other horrors. In fact, there are four secret societies trying to take over the city:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Any recomendations for Android games?

I know the usual, plants vs. zombies, angry birds, etc. I'm looking for a good turn based strategy game, or just something that takes more effort than "tap here, now tap here more quickly".
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 am

Feud wrote:Any recomendations for Android games?

I know the usual, plants vs. zombies, angry birds, etc. I'm looking for a good turn based strategy game, or just something that takes more effort than "tap here, now tap here more quickly".

Then android games aren't what you're looking for :) They're supposed to be quick and fun to play while you're waiting for your girlfriend to get out of her goddamn house while you've been parked in the driveway for at LEAST fifteen freaking minutes waiting for her dumb face to waltz into the car and not answer when you ask them what the hell took so long.
Or, when your just sitting in the car together and an interesting conversation hasn't come up since she climbed herself in the vehicle. Perfect time to play android games. Perfect...

EDIT: Now that I have a debit card, and a decent graphics card, this forum is suddenly relevant.

The new card doesn't exactly fit, but holy hell can it play videa games :twisted:
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Overheating much?
Radiobuzz
level2
level2

Postby Radiobuzz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Feud wrote:Any recomendations for Android games?

I'm not aware of something like that. I think your best bet would be just installing some emulators and running some classics.

EDIT: BTW, since I'm currently re-playing Psychonauts I wanted to express my love for the latest Humble Bundle, it included great games. And still the Humble Introversion Bundle has been one of the best things that had ever happened to me.
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 pm

GreenRock wrote:
but holy hell can it play videa games :twisted:

by the looks of it you could plant potatoes in it too.. i'll have a large french fries :wink: when it gets harvested.

and here's my rig as we're here bragging anyway.
http://blog.justplaingeek.com/
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Since we're sort of on the topic, I recently realised that 2GB RAM just doesn't cut it these days. Stuff runs fine but takes a while to get running.

Sadly, looking things up, I found out my mobo only supports DDR2 (I was very surprised, I was sure it was a pretty decent mobo. P5Q Deluxe)

Would it be worth it to get a new mobo just for upgrading my RAM? I am pleased with all the rest of my specs.
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 pm

NeatNit wrote:Since we're sort of on the topic, I recently realised that 2GB RAM just doesn't cut it these days. Stuff runs fine but takes a while to get running.

Sadly, looking things up, I found out my mobo only supports DDR2 (I was very surprised, I was sure it was a pretty decent mobo. P5Q Deluxe)

Would it be worth it to get a new mobo just for upgrading my RAM? I am pleased with all the rest of my specs.

if you got spare cash then yes and i would recommend the sabertooth z77 which is backed by a 5 year warranty and the one i have on my current machine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

I know very little about these things so for assured compatibility reasons, I am just going to take my computer to the store and they will tell me my options there.
Thanks though :)

Edit (I hope this gets noticed): if I have a choice between 4x2GB and 2x4GB, is 4x2GB better?
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:38 pm

NeatNit wrote:Overheating much?

The fan is on the underside of the card. Specs: GeForce 210 DDR3 1 GB
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:56 pm

For those Defcon fans among us with Android phones, there's this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lite&hl=en

It's not nearly as deep as Defcon, but if you're wanting som portable nuclear combat, it's not terrible (and free, I'm not sure what the difference is between lite and paid, I guess maybe paid doesn't have in game ads?).
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I played Revelations 2012 with some friends last week. With a 15 on Metacritic, it was the worst game I have ever played -- basically a reskinned Left 4 Dead 2, but with ancient Mayans (I think) instead of zombies. The fact that it's on Steam when other, more worthy games aren't is probably because it's a Source game, but still: as someone with little game design experience, I feel that I could have made a better attempt at reskinning L4D2 than these guys did.

Mouse1 wasn't even bound to "fire" when I started, yet, unaccountably, the "Break out in dance" key was happily bound to F.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm

A lot has been written about Dark Souls, suffice to say it is the most engrossing and rewarding games I've ever played in more than 30yrs.

It is a "1 more go" game, video game heroin to me, I've played little else since last Nov, Batman and Skyrim collecting dust.

I see it's due out soon on PC and I highly recomend it to those happy spend at least 50, more likely 100 hours on a video game.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 am

I appear to have received a 50% coupon for AAA(etc..) For the Awesome.

Anyone interested?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”