Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:12 pm

No, that's AaAaAA(...)!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity this one is Going really fast as close as possible to geometry in levels procedurally generated based on your music.

The level generation algorithm still needs some work though, it does a good enough job for most stuff but can be horrid in weirder music.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

So, it's AaaAAaAaaAAaaaaudiosurf, then. :P

Edit: I'm trying to buy it, but Plimus is down. Who uses Plimus anymore?! :roll:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:54 pm

shinygerbil wrote:So, it's AaaAAaAaaAAaaaaudiosurf, then. :P

I think it's the third or fourth time I see someone making that joke in the last 24 hours :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 pm

So, basically, this game is AaaAAaAaaAAaaaaudiosurf, amirite? :D

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Where are bandages in chapter 1? I got all A levels, but still only find 9 including warp zone where it says there are 20 o_OI
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Jordy... wrote:Where are bandages in chapter 1? I got all A levels, but still only find 9 including warp zone where it says there are 20 o_OI

Have you looked in the Dark World?

Feud wrote:Ooh, Minecraft is going beta:

Yay!

Though perhaps the most important quote of that post is that folk that pre-order after the beta start may not get post-release updates for free. So get it while you can ;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Okay.

To this day I don't understand the fascination with Minecraft, nor the plethora of different alphas, multiplayer alphas, etcetera that it comes in. (Or used to come in - the latest version seems fairly unified.)

For the record, I used to play Infiniminer with Notch et al in the tigsource IRC. :P

I own the game but have only opened it once or twice, and haven't really understood what is going on.

I understand that the main attraction is building stuff and stuff (and junk) but it all seems like a very convoluted setup for such a simple idea.

Can someone explain to me in a nutshell why I should be playing Minecraft? How can I find enjoyment? I tend to start it up and just wander around. I'm guessing it's much better in multiplayer, too. Infiniminer was a blast.

Please set me straight. :oops:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Can someone explain to me in a nutshell why I should be playing Minecraft? How can I find enjoyment?

It's like Legos.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:20 pm

In Minecraft you can explore, build and/or fight. It's essentially the ultimate sandbox, meaning the game won't entertain you, you'll entertain yourself with the game.

In other words, it's a game where you can make your own fun :P If you don't know how to do that you won't like Minecraft, if you do then the game gives you the tools.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Jordy... wrote:Where are bandages in chapter 1? I got all A levels, but still only find 9 including warp zone where it says there are 20 o_OI

http://www.diygamer.com/2010/10/super-m ... one-guide/

print out this page and reference it while playing the game. alternatively you can use the steam overlay to browse the website while playing.

im still stuck at "The End" at the dr. fetus boss level. so hard.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks!
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:10 am

Feud wrote:It's like Legos.

Legos but with zombie pigmen who attack you while you're building stuff?

Xocrates wrote:In Minecraft you can explore, build and/or fight. It's essentially the ultimate sandbox, meaning the game won't entertain you, you'll entertain yourself with the game.

In other words, it's a game where you can make your own fun :P If you don't know how to do that you won't like Minecraft, if you do then the game gives you the tools.

I'm quite alright with making my own fun - it's the other stuff that gets me. Like the above-mentioned zombie pigmen, other "mobs" and other features which are essentially arbitrary restrictions to my creativity. The "ultimate sandbox" doesn't need these things - these things are for people who can't make their own fun and need a little nudging in the right direction.

It confuses me, is all.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:14 am

shinygerbil wrote:I'm quite alright with making my own fun - it's the other stuff that gets me. Like the above-mentioned zombie pigmen, other "mobs" and other features which are essentially arbitrary restrictions to my creativity. The "ultimate sandbox" doesn't need these things - these things are for people who can't make their own fun and need a little nudging in the right direction.

Which is why there's a difficulty setting called "peaceful" which removes mobs and gives you regenerating health ;)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:32 am

shinygerbil wrote:
Feud wrote:It's like Legos.

Legos but with zombie pigmen who attack you while you're building stuff?

I'm not a big fan of that part, so I turned it off.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”