Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 pm

xander wrote:Really? Let's have a look through the wayback machine. How long does it take to complete Super Mario Brothers, or Sonic the Hedgehog? How about Metroid? Castlevania? Megaman? The original Final Fantasy is a blink of an eye compared to modern games in the series and other modern (J)RPGs.

xander
I was referring to the SNES/N64 days, mainly. Nevertheless, I may be wrong on this point.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 am

Xocrates wrote:I know this is a bit of an unrelated tangent, but this keeps bugging me.

Why is 8-10 hours considered short?

Not just for this game, any game. Most people won't even finish games half that length.

Isn't delivering a "good" experience better than delivering a "long" one?

And don't say "value for money" since that's very clearly not the case as people do the same for budget games.

I didn't mean it as a bad thing, and it's silly to compare a game's length to another or it's price. I mean short in the fact that I love the game but want more. That's how I felt about Mafia 2. It was short (but not really, it was 12 hours long) only because I enjoyed my self so much that I wanted more of it.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 am

The other end of the scale is something like Oblivion

100 of hours. But of the same bloody damned stuff. Once I realised that they manage to create such a large world by simply slotting basic components together, it got immensely dull. After my third ruin, I started to recognise the lego piecs of ruins they had slotted together. You could even see the joins on the map. Not to mention that they had five voice actors for 100s of NPCs...

100 of hours of possible content, sure, in the same way you could take the building block of Super Mario world and slot them together to create infinite mario worlds. It gets boring, and loses quality after not too long
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:42 pm

I would say that while oblivion is on that end of the scale, it is by far not at the very end. Just before you hit MMO land there are a few games worse, namely borderlands and (personal opinion) games like diablo. Oblivion is "Go here, get/kill stuff because of a loose plotline", Borderlands/diablo is "go here, kill/get stuff because you can".
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Yes, but Diablo and Borderlands are -unashamedly - arcade games. They've hardly progressed from Asteroids. You attack things, and those things get harder and change colour...

The problem with Oblivion is it purported to be much more than it was. A first person hack-and-Slash in a world like Oblivion's would be great, I'd be moving through it fast and continuously. But it was trying to be an engaging, deep world. It wasn't.

Which is a shame, because the creativity in much of the world of Morrowind was fantastic.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Back to basic. NEW GAMES! How about Bloody Good Time?! I never got around to play The Ship, but if this is the same as The Ship was then I'll definitely try it!!
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:50 pm

i played the operation flashpoint for the xbox 360 damn that game was a waste of my time, nothing like the pc version.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm thinking of getting back into flight sims. They were my main video game staple for years until about nine years ago, really haven't played any since. Lately though they are about the only games that really appeal to me.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 am

i want to start playing mech warrior again, that game was intense with a joystick etc..
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:56 am

Amnesia is out and it's super creepy. I love it, but it scares me to death.

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/09/ ... e_des.html

Here's a new freeware game by Locomalito, creator of the awesome yet hard shmup Hydorah and the super retro 8-bit Killer.

Really hard platformer, that looks a lot like jet set willy. And you can't beat the price of free

VVVVVV was released on Steam at 10% off so it's 4.49. So if you didn't like the price at the previous 15 dollars, you have no excuse now, as 5 bucks is a steal. But if you don't like challenging retro style platformers you probably won't like either of these games.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Well, I finally finished Metroid: Other M.

The story side of things isn't bad at all, it fits well with the Metroid universe and everything. It's the gameplay side that makes me rage.

The game contains loads of Fake Difficulty, including Quick Time Events, Guide Dang Its, and Selective Memory. I won't go into details right now. The game is just horrible.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Trying to decide between Wings over Vietnam and Wings over Israel. I'm thinking Vietnam, the whole dawn of the missile age and all...
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:22 am

Well me face was beaming when I saw both The Last Guardian and Valkyria Chronicles 3 come out TGS. Then even more ecstatic when the video description said Valkyria Chronicles 3 would be for the ps3.... Then a deep, deep frown when I found out they were filthy liars.
[size=0]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/size]

Also what witchcraft is Metal Gear Solid: Rising using? I do not know if we are being deceived or seeing something absolutely amazing.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:59 am

It seems Tales of Monkey Island will be on sale for 5$ this weekend (starting tomorrow evening US time)
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:54 am

Hmm..should I get a Move, just buy a Wii or go to local sports hall and play real table tennis?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”