Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Well, they added new Demigods now (lack of variety was one of the main points of critique) and matchmaking is fixed, too. At that price, I'd pick it up if it weren't for my new "Don't buy games until you finished your old, perfectly good ones" policy, and my strategy nerve being tickled just fine with Medieval II and Brutal Legend. That, and it has been on sale so many times now, it just doesn't feel like an unique opportunity.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:59 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:That, and it has been on sale so many times now, it just doesn't feel like an unique opportunity.

To be fair, I don't think it ever was this cheap.

Regarding the game itself, if you like the Dota-style gameplay Demigod can be quite fun. However the main advantage over, say, the free to play League of Legends is the existence of half-decent scalable AI. Meaning that it's pretty much the only game on the genre so far that allows you to play offline.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:49 am

Hey hey, TF2 is only $9.99.

Might be about tie to get it.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:58 pm

GalCiv II is at 90% off! That's only US$2

http://www.stardock.com/media/mailers/GCII.htm
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:59 pm

I need an opinion. I'm considering getting Borderlands for Christmas or similar, mostly because the "diablo with guns" approach seems compelling.

However what I would like to know is 1) Is it still enjoyable in single player? 2) How RPG-ish is it? 3) Does it get old quickly?
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Borderlands.

In my opinion, it's not worth it if you don't have somebody to play it with. Sure, it's fun finding guns everywhere but they're all the same, really. Just with different stats and quirks. Playing with a friend, having voice chat on is enjoyable, especially in situations where the action is intense.

I didn't find it RPG-ish at all. You get a couple of kill this, find that missions and then you're off. Not much story here, either.

The characters are rather enjoyable, and it's pretty clear that the developers loved making this crazy world, but if you want this game you should get it for the co-op shootin' and not much else

To me it got old after a few days. Not enough variation, or progression for my taste.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:40 pm

I agree. I played by myself, and it was boring and quite difficult.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:46 pm

I'll have to disagree with both of you there. I played Borderlands single player from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's pretty light on the RPG elements, it's true (you have your WoW-style loot, and you get to improve your talents every time you level up, but that's about it), but that doesn't really detract from the experience. My only real gripe was the lack of variety in the types of enemy you face.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19 pm

For those who care, since I have a new server online (technically we, it's a server I share with Max but it's virtualized into our separate domains) I started experimenting with Source Dedicated Server. The result is a TF2 server which can be found at http://tf2.portal42.net. (Steam connect is tf2.portal42.net:27015 which you can find on the stats pages.) It's pretty quiet at the moment which isn't that strange considering it's only been public for two days but if some of you have the time to idle in it and make the server seem less dead to the public you are welcome to do so. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:51 pm

jelco wrote:For those who care, since I have a new server online (technically we, it's a server I share with Max but it's virtualized into our separate domains) I started experimenting with Source Dedicated Server. The result is a TF2 server which can be found at http://tf2.portal42.net. (Steam connect is tf2.portal42.net:27015 which you can find on the stats pages.) It's pretty quiet at the moment which isn't that strange considering it's only been public for two days but if some of you have the time to idle in it and make the server seem less dead to the public you are welcome to do so. :)

Jelco

Need anyone to kick voice spammers/cheaters? :P

Also, it better be vanilla!

Edit: The site seems more geared towards a high number of servers. Having just 1 makes a lot of it redundant. :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Yeah, the stats system has been built to be rather expandable, but since I don't plan on running any others you're right about the overabundance of features. I'll probably end up modding it to my likes, but for the moment this works just fine.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:21 pm

jelco wrote:Yeah, the stats system has been built to be rather expandable, but since I don't plan on running any others you're right about the overabundance of features. I'll probably end up modding it to my likes, but for the moment this works just fine.

Jelco

Seems sv_lan 1. Well, I can't connect to it anyway.
LAN servers are restricted to local clients (Class C)
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:23 pm

I haven't really tried connecting to a server via the console before, but typing 'connect tf2.portal42.net:27015' leads to the error: "LAN servers are restricted to local clients (class C)"

Am i just being a n00b here? If so, please tell me how to find your server :wink:
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Well that's interesting. I did have it left on LAN because before the server went into the datacenter, it was at my home and I obviously put it on LAN for testing purposes. However, a couple of people (including myself) have apparently been able to connect to it regardless.

Oh well, changed the configuration to sv_lan 0. Try again. :P

EDIT: I noticed the comment about the AFK timer. I have to go put another server in a datacenter right now but I'll be back to tweak the config later tonight. :)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:39 pm

So there were a lot of lag issues on the server it seems. I'm trying my best to solve it but most of it seems to come from the scripts that run for the Ladder at the moment. Since the Ladder is getting less and less attention I wouldn't mind giving them a lower priority, but I'm hoping I can come up with a compromise. Sadly the only proper method seems to be to use a special feature in the Linux tool cpulimit, a feature which is half broken. It limits the CPU usage of the scripts perfectly, it just doesn't kill itself when they are done, which results in cpulimit clogging up the CPU itself.

Technical details aside, I'm working on improving the lag and in the meantime the server is up again. :)

EDIT: Hacked the horrible PHP that keeps HLStatsX CE together and I think I have a nice frontpage layout now. The only trouble is the news section being barely visible but then again that was one of my own additions as well. (In fact the whole frontpage was my own hackjob but at first not a very good one.) I'm working on muffling away the other references to multiple servers and it'll finally look proper. :) In other news, the lag seems to be pretty much gone by now, so yay. :D

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”