Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Well, I finally got around to ToMI, and I must say - talking glitches are getting very annoying. It seems Sam & Max Season One was the only one where talking didn't fuck up, and was syned. Season 2 started to show some small mistakes, //never played that cool guys shit//, and in ToMI it's very very fucked up.

Still, I enjoyed this one a lot, but for some reason it failed to give me the "I can't wait to see what happens" feeling that the first episode did. I don't know why... I really can't put my finger on it.

The one thing I don't understand about TellTale is that in the end of every game, in the credits, it says "CREATED WITH THE TELLTALE TOOL". Now, admittedly I haven't checked into it, but is that tool supposed to be released to the public anytime soon? If it's what I imagine it is, then I think some pretty creative things can come out of it :P

PS: I'm killing time, so sorry for the "I'm-super-bored-and-I'm-rambling-about-stupid-stuff" post
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Talking glitches? I played pretty much every telltale series and I don't recall "Talking glitches", at least never so common as to be called annoying.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I mean stuff like when the talking continues and the subtitles delay a little (so you can't read what's being said at the same moment); sometimes in a 2-part subtitles sound, if you skip the beginning and let the rest finish itself, the subtitles end while the sound still plays - with long recordings you can actually hear the same person talk twice or even three times at the same time!

...And stuff like that.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 pm

I never had that...
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Hmm... Might be a PC-Specific problem. Or maybe you're just lucky.

This is what happens when there are only 6 beta testers! :evil:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Heads up, telltale is giving away Wallace & Gromit episode 3 until the 8th november.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 pm

Apparently, Gratuitous Space Battles is fully out. In case you haven't heard about it, it's about designing spaceships from a hull customized by filling slots with various parts, placing them on the battlefield, giving them initial orders, then sitting back and watching them turn (the enemy fleet, preferably) into space debris. Lots of flashy lasers and stuff and a welcome absence of ships exploding, they just sort of crumble away most of the time. It's quite unique and definitely worth a look. There's a demo. I personally don't like it all that much, it has too much breadth, possibly to hide a lack of depth. OK, I get why you need lasers, plasma, ion cannons and projectiles, but why eight different kinds of lasers? And you can't zoom out all the way. It may be something for all those fiddly optimizers around here.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 pm

I've had GSB since the beta, and purchased it on the strength of it. Sure it's simple enough, but it's still a good laugh. I certainly recommend it.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 pm

What are people's thoughts on Torchlight? I always liked Diablo and the such, so meh. I'm currently playing through Borderlands so not sure I'll have time for it any time soon, but I am curious as I've heard mostly good things!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 pm

From what I've read it's Wild West fantasy magic meets Diablo, and apparently more enjoyable then Diablo 2.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm

elDiablo wrote:What are people's thoughts on Torchlight? I always liked Diablo and the such, so meh. I'm currently playing through Borderlands so not sure I'll have time for it any time soon, but I am curious as I've heard mostly good things!

As I mentioned earlier, the game is a lot of fun. It's also very streamlined so combat usually is flashy and fairly enjoyable.

But it essentially is Diablo (the first one, with hints of the second) with less story, more levels, fish, and overall improved interface. Only real downsides, apart of the lack of story/interesting quests, is that the game is fairly easy in normal, and even hard (although there is still very hard + hardcore mode), and characters skill trees include the same passive skills (although with different level requirements), which total about half the total skills of each character.

All in all it's the hack and slash experience in its pure unadulterated essence. Combat is fun, replayablity is solid, skills are flashy, phat lewt is plentiful. Quite frankly if you liked the Diablo games you're likely to enjoy torchlight. And for its price it's a really good deal. Plus, there is a demo, so you can just try it out ;)

Also, Rkiver, I wouldn't call it "Wild West fantasy magic". It has some steam-punk elements (like guns and robots), but otherwise is straight fantasy.

EDIT: One small correction: The Story is too easy on both normal and hard, the side/end game dungeons are not for the simple reason that while the story has fixed enemy levels, side dungeons match your level, and therefore tend to be more challenging.
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Now, as a mac, I tend to miss out on some great things. But my principal heart throb so far has been that of the BioShock series. I've had a look, and I really do love it. But I've never been able to play it.
Until now.
BioShock 1 is now available for mac, over the bittorrent clients care of feral. I'm gonna download it at the weekend (13 hours of DL time!), but I really hope to play it.
My other account is Steve Jobs!
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Now, as a mac, I tend to miss out on some great things. But my principal heart throb so far has been that of the BioShock series. I've had a look, and I really do love it. But I've never been able to play it.
Until now.
BioShock 1 is now available for mac, over the bittorrent clients care of feral. I'm gonna download it at the weekend (13 hours of DL time!), but I really hope to play it.
My other account is Steve Jobs!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Xocrates wrote:...As I mentioned earlier...

SILENCE! I missed that. Oh well! Ta.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 am

I absolutely hate bioshock. First I played the demo and the concept seemed alright but not particularly appealing. I bought it anyway and installed it on the same computer that the demo was still installed on - didnt work at all. I was pissed, it crashed my graphics drivers twice trying to get to the first level (which I think from memory is actually in the demo). Never saw anything after the plane crash cutscene.

Returned it the next day.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”