Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:04 pm

In defense of sequels, it occasionally takes that second iteration of a concept to get it really right. Nobody forces you to buy the cash-in ones. Plus keep in mind another common thing about those games: they're not out yet. It's much easier to get excited (*) about a sequel to a good game that's coming out than a new IP, which may be da best game evar, but most likely is just the usual mediocre shit. Hence more magazine coverage for them.

(*) now, why anyone would get excited about the next FIFA iteration is beyond me.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:16 pm

Don't get me wrong, sequels have their place and can indeed be great. But when you are onto the 12th or 13th version, somethings wrong.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I have several games I'm excited about, only one is a sequel.

And don't get me wrong either, sequels do have their place - the one I'm looking forwards to is Half life 2: episode 3, but that's not for the gameplay it's for the storyline. Similarly, I don't have anything to moan about final fantasy because although they're up to number 13 they do change the gameplay every time and have a great storyline (usually set it a totally different world)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 pm

PC games are prone to sequels, just like consoles. The mere existense of sequels is not a reason to hate consoles. -__-
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Since my PC is a wee bit old I've found I'm not paying that much attention to what is coming out...I'm looking back at all the stuff I missed :!: And it's cheap :D

Some idea of the recommended system specs for Subversion wouldn't go amiss mind... :wink:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Also,

shinygerbil wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Yyyyeeeaaaaaahhhhh.... No.

Any games without 'Fighter' in their name making them sound lame?

Edit: I just watched the trailer and I have one thing to say: I can't believe that this is a recent game. O_O
EXPLAIN YOURSELF
You haven't explained yourself yet

EXPLAIN YOURSELF
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:49 am

Well, it's... Lame.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 am

shinygerbil wrote:PC games are prone to sequels, just like consoles. The mere existense of sequels is not a reason to hate consoles. -__-

Indeed they are, however you have a much lower entry threshold for game developers on PC, so you get much more innovation as well as the sequels. However, since consoles are tied to larger developers they're more prone to sequels, and less innovation even in new titles.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:01 am

I don't think the entry barrier to console development is noteworthy anymore. Nintendo demands that you have a proper office before you get a devkit, and that's about it. Devkit prices are in the range of high end PCs nowadays. Sure, there's still a validation process before your game gets to XBLA/WiiWare/PSN. But I'd say all those difficulties qualify as hurdles only, not barriers. And on the plus side, you don't have to worry about 10^100 different possible PC configurations.
Now, getting a console game out on a physical medium, all right, that's something you need a lot of money for. But the same is true for full blown PC games. Console or PC, big AAA tiltes are just not the right place to look for innovation.

shinygerbil wrote:Also,

shinygerbil wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Yyyyeeeaaaaaahhhhh.... No.

Any games without 'Fighter' in their name making them sound lame?

Edit: I just watched the trailer and I have one thing to say: I can't believe that this is a recent game. O_O
EXPLAIN YOURSELF
You haven't explained yourself yet

EXPLAIN YOURSELF
To me, they have overdone the muscularity of the fighters. And not only of Ryu and Ken. I'm talking about the women. DON'T MAKE ME LOOK AT THOSE BUTTOCKS. Another problem I have with SF is that they use six attack buttons still, while your usual gamepad only has four 'true' buttons. Yeah, there's bumpers/shoulder buttons, but I never ever got fully used to them. Insert rant about console controller button inflation here (dual analog sticks excluded. That's the best controller innovation ever.) I suppose you can get used to both, though. I'm still hoping for a playable demo.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:54 am

ynbniar wrote:Isn't there more MI to come?

That should tide Xocrates over for oh...an hour and a half :?:

Well... If I play slow... :wink:

Kidding of course, I think the fastest I played through one Telltale episode was about 2 hours for Wallace and Grommit Ep. 2. ToMI: Ep. 1 took me about 4.

Either way I've gained the habit of blasting through them in one day, so MI shouldn't keep me occupied more than a day a month. (I'll still be pretty busy this month with W&G: Ep. 4 and MI: SE (which comes out today \o/))

Also, a slightly more on the current subject, aren't they saying that Microsoft wants XBLA to stop selling so many indie games?
That's depressingly stupid.
Last edited by Xocrates on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 am

Xocrates wrote:Also, a slightly more on the current subject, aren't they saying that Microsoft wants XBLA to stop selling so many indie games?
Source? 'twould be depressing indeed.

Oh, sweet! Alien Breed Evolution just appeared on my radar. The original AB was phenomenal for its time. The constant lack of ammo, the need to press on against the respawning horde and still explore stuff to find money and ammo and keys, the fire doors you'd accidentally shut, the self destruct countdown escape. Only the last level or two were kind of lame. Mostly because you had the laser gun by then. Of course, that's not a design you'd get away with today, with so many ways you could get stuck for good. Announced for XBLA and PSN only so far, though.
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 am

I think it was this kotaku article, although it seems to have been updated saying that Microsoft has denied it.
_human_
level1
level1

Postby _human_ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 pm

ynbniar wrote:Since my PC is a wee bit old I've found I'm not paying that much attention to what is coming out...I'm looking back at all the stuff I missed :!: And it's cheap :D

That is what I'm doing now: playing the games I missed (e.g. Fallout 1-2) or launch ePSXe (emulator of ps1) and play my favourite games on PS (Gran Turismo 2 and Ace Combat 2)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:To me, they have overdone the muscularity of the fighters. And not only of Ryu and Ken. I'm talking about the women. DON'T MAKE ME LOOK AT THOSE BUTTOCKS. Another problem I have with SF is that they use six attack buttons still, while your usual gamepad only has four 'true' buttons. Yeah, there's bumpers/shoulder buttons, but I never ever got fully used to them. Insert rant about console controller button inflation here (dual analog sticks excluded. That's the best controller innovation ever.) I suppose you can get used to both, though. I'm still hoping for a playable demo.
The most comfortable controller I've seen was the GameCube one - all the buttons were so perfectly placed, only bumper/shoulder/whatever button per side (and they could be half-pushed, and stuff)... <3 GCN (but still not exactly sure what GCN stands for)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:41 pm

I can't decide if to buy LOOM or not.

How many of these are true?
  • Stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes.
  • Sophisticated score and musical effects.
  • Detailed animation and special effects.
  • Elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects and magic spells.
  • No burdensome typing, mapping, or inventory management.
  • An easy and engaging game for beginners and veterans alike.

Edit: oops, sorry for double post ><

Return to “Introversion Lounge”