Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:06 am

Think of it this way; if your opinions survive the forum crucible, they're probably fairly well grounded :P
But seriously, that people will disagree with your opinions is no reason not to express them; in the right company -- company where the reasons people hold an opinion are considered -- it may reveal that there are facets which you haven't considered, information which you're ignorant to, or different perspectives than your own, all of which are useful things to know about.
Not wanting to be disagreed with is a terrible reason not to express an opinion; it creates a false impression of consensus which causes the views of everyone in the same boat as you to be marginalised and ignored. The only internally consistent reason not to express an opinion which you hold is because you suspect it is wrong and don't want to recognise it, which is self-evidently a poor reason.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:35 am

Rkiver wrote: Force Unleashed is brilliant.

That game has made me want to kill myself several times. It is very pretty and has some cool effects, but some of the boss battles are atrocious. I'm glad someone liked it though.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 am

Anyone tried the Empire Total War demo?

It's as buggy and slow as all hell. It won't let me go down from 1080p. Is there away to make it think that a lower res would be much more appropriate to launch in?
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:22 am

thinking about trying it...just haven't had the interest yet. Sucks about the performance though.

Entrenchment is released, so that's a buy for you Sins of a Solar Empire fans. Unfortunately it makes long games even longer....impossible for MP. Unless you can stay up for 9 hours straight, or save it and pray for no sync errors. So I just stick to SP..which is unfortunate. You can find people on the Sins forums but once it's obvious that they have one or you have one they'll leave or go afk and wait for you to beat them. Very annoying.

Also, The Last Remnant demo for PC just came out..tried it and quite enjoyed it, much to my surprise..runs better that I thought, only shadows rape my FPS (thankfully turning them to low doesn't make that big of a difference, they still look fine). So now I'm waiting for this game as well as Braid and SF4 which has been estimated for PC around summer.

I'll end with this almost unknown upcoming indie gem: http://pc.ign.com/articles/953/953368p1.html Zeno Clash, a melee focused fps game set in the weirdest world...made with the source engine.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 pm

Wasgood wrote:Anyone tried the Empire Total War demo?

It's as buggy and slow as all hell. It won't let me go down from 1080p. Is there away to make it think that a lower res would be much more appropriate to launch in?

A Total War game? With bugs? Some showstopping? At demo (i.e. before release)? Hold the front page! For a game so enormous, you've got to expect a few (hundred) to slip through, and they'll keep on patching it up as and when they get fixed. What gets me is that they're trying to get away with charging £40 on Steam, plus an extra fiver for the 'special' units.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 pm

I had very acceptable performance with the Empire demo, but then again I expect that from most games on my PC ;)

I didn't really get into it though. I'm fine with the tutorial, telling me what units to use where, but as soon as I'm left on my own I break down and have no clue whatsoever. :cry:
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:30 pm

I never tried the total war series and i was clueless too. My friend who has played all the titles came over and gave me a tutorial, though, and now i enjoy it.

As soon i got hold of the basic stategies i ordered the game. Its very enjoyable.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Query: Can you play Dawn of War 2 without internet access? :roll: might sound silly but im hearing alot about needing to install through Steam.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm

RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Hyperion wrote:Query: Can you play Dawn of War 2 without internet access? :roll: might sound silly but im hearing alot about needing to install through Steam.

You can play games on Steam offline using Steam's offline mode. You, however, require an internet connection to activate it. Also, it's possible the publisher has asked that you need to connect to the internet every so often. It varies from game to game.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 am

Phelanpt wrote:Night Game trailer. :D

Ahhhh! It looks like within a deep forest. Not the glass ball! My hands and memories will never forgive the sheer agony in some parts of that game.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 am

Same guy, apparently.

This means there's a game for the Wii I might actually want.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:53 am

Yep, it's from Nifflas. :)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 am

Does anyone know any particulars about The Maw? It's going to be released on Steam next week, and whatever pieces of information I can find say it's a good game. But I had never heard of it until today.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:09 pm

for what platform?
I have the demo for PS3.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”