Welcome 2009!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Welcome 2009!

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:04 am

Bit late, sorry. Oh well. Happy 2009.

jelco wrote:EDIT: You can check on the current times around the globe right here.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:33 am

Happy 2009 to everyone in and to the east of the UK, and pre-emptively to the rest of ya! :D
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:40 am

NukeLord wrote:Happy 2009 to everyone in and to the east of the UK, and pre-emptively to the rest of ya! :D

QFT!

My first act of 2009? Finish Bioshock >.>
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:39 am

Yay another new years spent at work...

Happy Z2K Everybody!
I wasn't here.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Makes perfect sense if you read that from the random topic. :wink:
I wasn't here.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:24 am

It's a joke about the fact that the Zune has only now 'caught up' to the year 2000 in exhibiting Y2K-bug-like behaviour, so dunetrooper was wishing a happy 'Zune 2000'; making it 'Zune 2009' defeats the point of the joke.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Well see that's the thing, I'm not the one that made it. I was just trying to have a little fun with it but you serious people around here that have to take everything so literally don't like that all the time. So I'll just take my happy ass and go back to sleep here at work. :P
I wasn't here.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:16 pm

jelco wrote:Uh, the problem in no way has to do with the Y2K problem (which was severly overhyped at that). In fact, it doesn't even come close - it has to do with the 'composition' of the year, not the year number. If you're going to make analogies (a la Y2K38 which also in no way is related to the Y2K problem) at least make them technically correct.

It's a problem caused by the clock, the similarity emphasised by representing the year in a form almost exclusively used to refer to the preceding bug. That's all the superficial detail one needs to draw an analogy, particularly in the context of a lighthearted, off-the-cuff joke. Indeed, the joke is in part drawn fro the fact that the analogy is a poor one; clearly the Zune has not actually 'caught up' the the year 2000, it's an inherently ridiculous proposition. It was not an especially funny joke, but condescending dissection has not helped in that regard. The point remains, you are making a fool of yourself.
Last edited by KingAl on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:18 pm

jelco wrote:Uh, the problem in no way has to do with the Y2K problem (which was severly overhyped at that). In fact, it doesn't even come close - it has to do with the 'composition' of the year, not the year number. If you're going to make analogies (a la Y2K38 which also in no way is related to the Y2K problem) at least make them technically correct.
You officially have no sense of humour. Please proceed to the nearest employment opportunity in the exciting field of Data Entry.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:17 pm

jelco wrote:...but I beg to differ with regards to me having ruined a joke.

Don't worry, there wasn't much of a joke to ruin :P But I mean... correcting a joke? That's a new low in pedantry, particularly when you're not clear on what the joke was. Also, your responses assumed the ignorance on the part those you were replying to of certain ideas which were pretty self evident, e.g. that Y2K means the Year 2000 and that as such Y2K9 means the Year 2009; that any connection between the Zune issue and the Y2K bug was imagined (I confess I may have confused things by using the phrase 'the fact that...' when not referring to a fact :S, it's a turn of phrase which you'll notice I use inappropriately a fair bit :P), that the Y2K bug was overhyped, etc. There are ways in which you could have had this conversation without framing it in a manner implying that you are correct and others are not; appending winking emoticons is sadly not among these ;) Being condescending, however unintentional, does not an amicable discussion make. That's why I'm definitely not doing it now >_> :oops:

jelco wrote:I won't say my 'version' was funnier, but it certainly didn't seem particularly amusing to me that the analogy was a bad one, as you suggest was the intent.

The analogy is bad in both 'versions'. If the analogy to the Y2K bug is not present, then it's just an inert coining of a moniker for the issue, which is even less funny. Raising Microsoft's failings may be an end in itself, though, but... this is why joke 'correction' just isn't done :P

But enough drama, this is beginning to look like the Defcon forums. Albeit more... literate.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:24 am

My wife wants that game, how was it?
I wasn't here.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”