Question about submitting.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:50 pm

35-40 people? My brother worked for a gaming company about half that size (although admittedly, one of the reasons the project fell through in the end was because one of the possible publishers/investors deemed the team too small).
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Of those 35-40 people, are any of them wise in the business sense?

You really have two options here:

1) with that many people and that many games, shelf ~50 of the game ideas, split yourselves into 3 groups of 10, and finish the 3 chosen games and self publish them

2) with that many people and that many games, fire ~30 of the people, and finish 3 chosen game prototypes. Then go hunting for good advice.

NeoThermic
User avatar
Byron
level2
level2
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: uh.......huh....

Postby Byron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:43 pm

jelco wrote:
KingAl wrote:Or, start out as an EA grunt and work upwards.

Chris started at EA, and I think Byron did too. Of course, it was the motivation for both not to become part of such megalomaniacal companies (if I remember correctly) but it doesn't mean it makes you an all-bad person if you start over there. :)

Jelco


I can't speak for Chris but here's where I worked in Chronological order:

SN Systems - working on the PS1 Dev Kit.
Kuju Entertainment working on a Canned PS2 game, a mobile phone game (FIFA Striker) and the sequel to Microsoft Train Simulator which also got canned.
3D Labs - working on performance analysis and the P30 3D chip.
Electronic Arts Vancouver, Electronic Arts Black Box, Electronic Arts Tiburon as Developer Relations working on NHL 2005 and helping out on NBA 2005, NBA Street, Nascar, FIFA and various other groups and games.
Lionhead Studios working on the console version of The Movies - which got canned.
A couple of weeks at Rebellion Oxford on Miami Vice PSP
PomPom working on Mutant Storm Empire (XBLA), Bliss Island (XBLA, PC, PSP, Flash)
Xiotex Studios Ltd (My own company) making small flash games and a X360 conversion from a PS2 game for Stainless and also Haptic device integration into Crystal Quest
Coyote Console working on a Wii mini-game game (35 mini-games!)
Introversion Software Ltd as Producer on Darwinia+ for XBLA
User avatar
Byron
level2
level2
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Question about submitting.

Postby Byron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 pm

Spectre wrote:Hey, Im James and I have a thousand and one great ideas for games and I was wondering who I speak to about submitting them. Ive asked at a few other companies and alot have said that they dont take outside ideas, if they answer at all. So no worries if you have the same policy.

Ill check back with the board, look forward to hearin from ya.

-Spectre


Make your games is the best advice. Don't get bogged down in what's the best technology to use either - I make my games in Flash because it typically just takes me a week to make a game. There are lots of options available from Flash to GameMaker to writing your own engine in C++ - choose one and do it well. Once you have your game up and running let people play it. This is the route that the N+, World of Goo and a couple of others have taken and done well out of it.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:52 am

Postby Jazz Ad » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 am

Hello Mr game studio. I have a fantastic game idea. It's about taking care of green stickmen living in Tronland.
They get attacked by viruses and shit. At one point Space Invader ships come to the rescue. There are spiders and snakes too. Way way cool.
"Right son. Listen to me. This is never gonna work. Get out and try doing something worthy with your life."
User avatar
Phelanpt
level5
level5
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:20 am
Location: Portugal

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 am

I'd suggest submitting to IGF, or other indie competitions to get more visibility. TIGSource has a lot of game development competitions, and their forums are probably a good place to try out your demos and get constructive criticism.
I'm not sure how many games from those competitions have gotten published, though.

Also, I think Chris or Mark had posted about the exact thing you're asking about, in the IV blogs.
Spectre
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Ok here we go.

Postby Spectre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:38 am

I have a few people to respond to so this is kind of a multi post here.

Neothermic and Xocrates, Yes 35-40 people but like I say on alot of dates dont let this size scare you. (of course I also say "ow oh god mace really stings the eyes." :P ) In truth alot of us are students that practice code by building games. but no matter how hard you work there always seems to be this gap between Devolpement and Product. So far its been one idea makes another, like "I just made this awesome physics engine" "well, that solves this problem over here" "Wow, with that this one goes from sketches to playable in a week." and so forth. Focus really isnt an issue because games are shelved when they hit a snag. After a while of developing ideas and hitting a wall then scrapping it because we cant figure it out, then a week later someone cracks it, and you have to redo the entire mess again; we deceided to keep the ideas and just get back to them.

Plus we've had a couple of side jobs where all people wanted was a demo, we did it by tweeking the bits and bobs of other games in developement. and Neo, not a bad idea, but I cant fire volunteers. Yup you guessed it, there is no pay here because there is no capitol, if we had capitol we'd do it ourselves.

Bert the turtle, Excellent advice my friend, we've already started discussions on what to name ourselves and the art crew is already buzzing around all excited. I dunno though, I think I might have to make a suggestion or two otherwise we'll be known as "Teem Awesome STRIKE FORCE" (Yes I know about the spelling, according to Elaine thats how its supposed to be)

Also, we're not trying to get a wad of dough so we can get rich or even expect a job in return for the idea, its more like "Heres a game, can you put it on a few CDs for me and maybe distribute them, oh and if you could clean up the visuals while your at it, that'd be super. And if its not too much trouble, pay the guys that worked on it a percentage or stock or something, no not all 40 just those two guys there."

Stewsburntmonkey, yeah I know 35-40 is alot for the industry which is also why its important to show competance, and what I think would show that we can produce for them would be a killer presentation along with a great demo of some of our top games. but all that and a complimentary bar of gold is worth exactly Jack if I cant get in to see the guy, am I right?

Byron, great to hear from someone with actual experience!! Man, what I wouldnt give to pick your brain about the movies (Great game BTW). So, ok gotcha, I get your point about the website and the freebie games, but then what? Im back to waitig to be contacted or doing those old familiar phone calls. Also, are there independant companies for mass producing CDs of my game? because thats another reason why I was looking at someone whos already established. production and distribution.


Lastly Jazz, well I know youre trying to make some fun while giving me a critique but seriously have you ever had an idea for a movie or song or even.....I dunno.....videogame? Then what happens? you get all excited and tell some people "hey they should make this:...." and it goes one of two ways: they either give you an honest answer on like/dislike or they try to tear you down by laughing in your face. Where others laugh my group always listens and gives honest feedback, If you think that your idea is the best around, and its complete crap Im still going to treat it like gold until I have hard evidence to the contrary. Now if you were serious and came up to me like that, Id say "hey theres this game called Darwinia, check it out and tell me how yours is different" but at no point would I throw it back in your face that the picture your giving me is a darwinia clone, that could be my misconception or maybe you didnt explain it right. see my point? But heck, and I mean this in a friendly way to kind of get you to expand your paradigm: What have you done in your life thats so important? (by your definition, not mine) More of a rhetorical question though. If your point is that Im wasting my life by trying something new and not immediatley succeeding, then I have to tell you: Id rather waste my life chasing dreams that never come true than to not dream at all. but again that's my point of view wether you share it or not doesnt bother me.

Besides dont be a playa hater :P (joke)

alright great feedback everybody!
Spectre
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:57 pm

sorry you were posting while I was typing

Postby Spectre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:47 am

Phelanpt wrote:I'd suggest submitting to IGF, or other indie competitions to get more visibility. TIGSource has a lot of game development competitions, and their forums are probably a good place to try out your demos and get constructive criticism.
I'm not sure how many games from those competitions have gotten published, though.

Also, I think Chris or Mark had posted about the exact thing you're asking about, in the IV blogs.



Yeah one of the other guys mentioned the competitions Ill have to check out the IV blogs too. Thanks for the advice. every little bit helps. :)
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Ok here we go.

Postby Xocrates » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:26 am

Spectre wrote:mass producing CDs of my game?


What's wrong with digital distribution?

Many award winning games (mostly indie) don't even have CD support or received it at a later date.
User avatar
Byron
level2
level2
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Ok here we go.

Postby Byron » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Spectre wrote:Man, what I wouldnt give to pick your brain about the movies (Great game BTW).


Ah, so you were the one that bought it!

Spectre wrote:
Byron, great to hear from someone with actual experience!! So, ok gotcha, I get your point about the website and the freebie games, but then what? Im back to waitig to be contacted or doing those old familiar phone calls. Also, are there independant companies for mass producing CDs of my game? because thats another reason why I was looking at someone whos already established. production and distribution.



There's a number of ways. The games world is changing rapidly and to be honest the old box on the shelf is dying out slowly in favour of digital distribution so you could try to get your game onto a portal such as Yahoo, or if its really good Steam. Try to get your game reviewed by some of the review sites out there and send it to the magazines with a little press release. Do some research into Flow, World of Goo, N and Trism and of course look at what Chris, Mark and Tom did for IV. If you are convinced about going down some of the more commercial routes then look into XBLA or PSN or WiiWare - however be prepared to have a substantial amount of money to back your project.

I honestly believe that we have never been in a better climate for indie developers given the amount of routes to market these days - take hold of them and enjoy the ride!
Spectre
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:57 pm

thanks

Postby Spectre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Good point Xocrates and Byron, I guess it would make more sense since like when youre on steam no matter what you play when you want a new game you just surf, click, buy. Ill take a look into it, thanks for the info.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests