Yay!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Yay!

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:39 pm

Sorry I didn't get these up sooner, but things have been busy lately.

I picked up my new rifle on Saturday, it's a Smith and Wesson M&P15. Basically, it's a civilian version of the M4 Carbine, chambered in 5.56. It's what's called an ORM model, which stands for Optics Ready Mount, thus the chop top. I'm still looking for a good sight for it, will probably order a scope today sometime. Here be the pics:

rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Don't you already have too many weapons? :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:44 pm

rus|Mike wrote:Don't you already have too many weapons? :)

Nevah!

I only own four, after all.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm

This one is nice :)

And "civilian version"? :shock: It's doesn't at all look civilian :shock:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:51 pm

rus|Mike wrote:And "civilian version"? :shock: It's doesn't at all look civilian :shock:

The difference is that the civilian versions aren't fully automatic. My selector switch is missing a very fun setting. :cry:
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Feud wrote:
rus|Mike wrote:And "civilian version"? :shock: It's doesn't at all look civilian :shock:

The difference is that the civilian versions aren't fully automatic. My selector switch is missing a very fun setting. :cry:

That'd be likely due to the fact that despite the gun love that exists they don't want every redneck fucktard with a fully automatic assault rifle....best to keep them in the armed forces where they can do more harm. ;)
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Noob question but how difficult would it be to "mod" your weapon and make it fully automatic...or is that just not possible?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 pm

ynbniar wrote:Noob question but how difficult would it be to "mod" your weapon and make it fully automatic...or is that just not possible?

It's possible, highly illegal but possible.

From my understanding mine is a rather difficult model to "mod", but I've never looked to find out anymore than what I've heard. "Modded" weapons are actually quite rare, if your going to break federal weapons laws most people just buy a fully automatic out right rather than taking the time, money, and back ground checks to to convert a semi.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Whereas, in the UK, guns are generally so bloody hard to get hold of that one of the biggest trades from guns is in illegally changing the mechanisms to 'replica' guns and airguns.

The Brocock Magnum, last time I was working with the CJS a year back, was by far the most popular (at least amongst the young offenders and gang related guns - organised crime still have the monopoly, bar the police, on automatic weapons). Apparently it's largely metal and, unlike other airguns, can withstand a mod.

There was that geezer the other year who got all those replica guns 'for the new James Bond movie' and was converting them in his shed... :lol:
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:08 am

Feud has been a cool guy here. But I kinda get freaked when I see anyone real people posing with a gun, including my own protectors. It's different in videogames, where we have this sence of unrealism. But no matter who you are, posting pictures of yourself with a gun just makes me hink you're manical.

This is definatly not a post about gun laws, or the 2nd amendment, or anything seriously charged. I just want Feud to know that I find it creepy to put pictures of your new gun on the internet.

Of course, I have no idea why you need one, and I totally agree with a "speak softly and carry a big stick policy", as far as personal defence goes. It's still kinda wierd, in this day an age, to start a topic about your firearm.

If it seems like I am prattling, it's because I am trying enforce my opinion while avoiding to offend anyone.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:23 am

TheRileyDuo: do knives, hammers, cars or violin strings affect you in the same way? Yes, guns were originally designed as killing devices, but in the majority of cases where people claim to just target shoot, that's what they do. Personally, I see nothing wrong with people being interested in weapons, just with people using them in the wrong ways. I own a bow and regularly shoot targets, and I have no interest whatsoever in pointing it at anything but.

Also, I somehow doubt Feud intends on carrying a 4-kilo assault rifle as personal defense. ;)

Sure, I think my country is a much safer place due to our gun laws, and I wouldn't want it any other way - but I'm sure my opinion would change if I was a gun enthusiast.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:18 am

meanwhile, in Australia, guns are so hard to get that they're virtually unknown.

Police have revolvers.

Rural farming communities still have them (and I mean really rural, they have them to keep the dingoes away), but they're kind of useless if you intend to go on a killing spree, they're not exactly cutting-edge.

Despite this, we still have the worst lone gunman massacre in the modern world. The Port Arthur massacre had 35 dead, 19 wounded. Since then, we've had even tighter gun laws, to the point where even if you do manage to get a gun somehow, it can't be semiautomatic or fully automatic, if it's a pistol it can't be under 8 inches in barrel length, etc. etc.

We even have restrictions on paintball guns. The only legal type are pump-action ones.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 am

TheRileyDuo wrote:Feud has been a cool guy here. But I kinda get freaked when I see anyone real people posing with a gun, including my own protectors. It's different in videogames, where we have this sence of unrealism. But no matter who you are, posting pictures of yourself with a gun just makes me hink you're manical.

This is definatly not a post about gun laws, or the 2nd amendment, or anything seriously charged. I just want Feud to know that I find it creepy to put pictures of your new gun on the internet.

I don't blame you, Hoplophobia isn't something that someone chooses to have.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am

While I do agree that Australia's restrictions on paintball guns are very harsh (there should be a different license for paintball and airsoft guns instead of having to get a real firearms license) I have to agree with Pox that I feel much safer from our strict gun laws. I definitely see the appeal of using a firearm for recreational purposes but from my perspective the danger outweighs the benefits especially when you can have non-lethal recreational guns like paintball markers. Also I'm pretty sure that paintball doesn't have to be pump action, at the paintball place I went to on Saturday all the guns were semi-auto, some mechanical and some electronic.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 am

vanarbulax wrote:While I do agree that Australia's restrictions on paintball guns are very harsh (there should be a different license for paintball and airsoft guns instead of having to get a real firearms license) I have to agree with Pox that I feel much safer from our strict gun laws. I definitely see the appeal of using a firearm for recreational purposes but from my perspective the danger outweighs the benefits especially when you can have non-lethal recreational guns like paintball markers. Also I'm pretty sure that paintball doesn't have to be pump action, at the paintball place I went to on Saturday all the guns were semi-auto, some mechanical and some electronic.

Well, whatever.

In America they have paint pistols, and I've heard of paint grenades. They also have 24-hour paintball sessions, where they have a huge field of play, instead of just a quick half-hour session.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”