Escape From TWG: Everybody Dies

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:39 am

Hope you're alright, bert!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:09 pm

zjoere wrote:SOLVE:

push the middle square of the wall

Inspired by bert's current weakened condition (always a sucker for the ladies), zjoere tries to help out and actually put forth some effort. He runs over and pushes the center "square" carved into the wall. Others look on, confused. Mas comments about how it can't be that easy.

Result: Nothing happens.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Having passed out for quite a while, Jeniffer slowly wakes up.
Hmm? Ooh, I had the weirdest dream. Something about derailing a thread, whatever that is. Odd, how can you dream about things you don't know anything about?

(Back. Thanks for the good wishes. And no, it wasn't too serious, just unexpected, and having my wife post here directly was about the only way I could telecommand her to notify you.)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Ow, my head is still spinning. There was something else in the dream. Some weird guy with a towel on his head appeared beside the wall carvings, pointed at the odd scribbly letters and said "Final Puzzle".

(This one is a bit odd. There was an Iranian Muslim in the room with me in the hospital. Now, of course, that makes him an expert in both Persian and Arabic :) Well, not so much Arabic, unfortunately (it's "just" the language of the Qur'an, comparable to what Hebrew is to a Jew anywhere in the world or Latin and Greek to a Christian some hundred years ago). Anyway, the first word (علامات) means "Signs" in Arabic, according to him (and google translate agrees there). The second word (which I couldn't even transcribe correctly, let alone successfully feed into a translator with meaningful output, closest I get is البتعة س) was more difficult, his best guess was "Remaining". When I told him about the context of the text, he pretty much immediately said that the combined text means that this is the last sign, the last picture, the last puzzle. Dunno. He seemed knowledgeable enough and was quite sure about this.

And no, he didn't wear a towel on his head :) )
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 pm

So the 'text' is no help at all really, Ace has just given up on our f(l)ailing around like idiots in the dark.

Now, the riddle... looking at the board, points external may be the corners, and joining those up gives us two different sets of circles - 2 big ones cut in two, two medium-sized ones with segments chopped off, and all the little ones as they were. This may mean something, it may not, although lines eternal may refer to the circles (never ending). Maybe we just push some of the circles who haven't been chopped?

A few ideas there, just to see if anyone can come up with anything.

Edit: almost forgot, welcome back bert!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:42 pm

Does "last" mean "previous" or "final"? "Previous puzzle" is significant, "Final puzzle" not so much.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:26 am

While there seemed to be just about as much ambiguity about the meaning of the second word when taken in isolation, my translator was quite sure the "Final" meaning is the correct one in our context. But you bring up a good point: there's no reason elements from past puzzles should not enter the solution to this one. Especially, the rep-tile puzzle from the first room could be significant, seeing as there's some geometry here, too.

Mike: yes, I tend to agree now that the puzzle is purely of geometric nature, and that the circles play an important role. Perhaps they're buttons we can press? The smallest circle would be the best first guess candidate then, because it's not segmented by the diagonals. On which panel remains to be determined, though. They're all exactly identical (bar reflection and corrosion).
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Geometry time! I drew all possible lines from grid points to other grid points. Those are the interesting ones where nongeneric stuff happens (generic stuff would be two lines/one line and one circle intersecting, or three lines intersecting for symmetry reasons), of course the same also happens on the right side:

At the 1s, one of the lines is tangent to the big circle. That the other diagonal intersects in the same point is more or less due to the symmetric position of the big circle, which may or may not be significant.
At 2, two lines and one big circle intersect. This (together with the 1 location) gives the upper big circle somewhat of a special role.
At 3, one of the lines is tangent to the circle and the diagonal intersects in the same point. Highly intriguing. That the third line also intersects there is due to trivial symmetry, however.

3 is the most outstanding coincidence. It's got codimension 3, meaning its tripply impossible to get such a configuration by pure chance. I suggest we try pressing the medium sized circle in one of the lower panels. Left or right? I don't know :) The pure presence of Arabic writing may mean the right one is the better choice. Just a hunch.

The codimension of point 1 is 2 and that of point 2 is 1. codimensions of separate events don't add up, though, so the total impossibility level of the configuration of the big circle in the upper panel still is only two.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:10 am

Pinky is nearing the end of his rations, and will soon need to start eating the spare rations.

He starts to get seriously worried, since everyone had the same amount and the others must be running low too.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Pinky wrote:Pinky is nearing the end of his rations, and will soon need to start eating the spare rations.

He starts to get seriously worried, since everyone had the same amount and the others must be running low too.

I'll solve your food problem;

SOLVE:

Kill the camel
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:09 pm

zjoere wrote:SOLVE:

Kill the camel

As there is no camel, zjoere begins running around furiously in trying to kill an imaginary one. In the process, shinygerbil and Shwart!! are knocked down and incapacitated.

Result: shinygerbil and Shwart!! are unconscious, the group has stopped zjoere's wild rampage.

Note: I am waiting for the holidays (including New Years) before really doing anything with this as people have been/may still be out.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Pinky wonders how zjoere is faring, as someone who never coped with heat well.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Ok, officially re-starting now. :P

The group finally calms down. Exhausted and disinterested, even if it means death, a small ray of hope comes into the room. While the group was trying to subdue zjoere, bert stumbled upon a clue (?). It seems the writing translates to "x marks [the] spot". Several jokes are thrown around about how cheesy they were even thousands of years ago, but the group quickly realizes they have a very short time before they all expire.

علامات البقعة س

(that was for all you that make comments about an "English speaking Persian king")
:P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Solve

Stand in a corner sharing a wall with the picture. Left one'll do, I guess.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Solve

Stand in a corner sharing a wall with the picture. Left one'll do, I guess.

Mas walks over to the wall and stands.

Result: Nothing happens.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”