Multiwinia vs Defcon

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Multiwinia vs Defcon

Postby Cyan. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:54 pm

I only played the demo of Defcon very shortly, but I am intrested again because of all the strategies I read and the possibilities etc.

So heres my question what pro's and con's do you think both games have, I am especially intrested in wich game is more strategy.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Can't you tell from the demos, posts, reviews, pics and videos?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Play the demo of one, play the demo of the other, then determine on your own.

Alternately, you can substitute the retail version for either or both.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Multiwinia is a lot more casual than Defcon, and while Defcon is probably more deep strategically, Multiwinia has a lot more maps and game modes which means it has a lot more strategies.

So ultimately it depends on what kind of gamer you are.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Maybe he wants to discuss this and not just get answers?

My take is this: while it is still too early to tell for Mutliwinia (just think about the crazy stuff that happened in Defcon way after it was released, like the ShinyBonsai or naval nuking), Defcon looks to be more strategic. You have different kinds of troops to juggle right from the start. You have the limited radar range, so you have to guess where your enemies are. You can make and break alliances whenever you like. Almost every unit has different modes of operation and takes time to switch between them. There is incredible depth there. In Multiwinia, you have your basic guys, you can decide whether you want to have them in formation or as a loose group, you need to decide whether you want to go for spawnpoints, crates or the primary objectives, and you need to use your powerups wisely. There are certain deadly combinations of powerups (Forest + Airstrike later, Magical Forest + Eggs, Turret + Subversion, Hot Feet + Rage), but beyond that, there's not much potential for deeper strategies. We'll see what players make of it. Already, Suicide Armours are way more in use than during the beta.

That said, right now, Multiwinia definitely is more accessible and more fun for me. You don't need to dedicate an hour to a game session. The random crates even give bad players a chance to win, and of course the dynamics of games with more than two players do their part, too. So even if you're a superior player, you still won't carry home only victories, there is always the possibility do do a little bit better.
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Defcon is slow, and thoughtful
you consider every action before you take it
multiwinia is fast and sorta instinctive
so it just depends on what you like
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:57 pm

One of the appeals to me of Multiwinia is that you can set the time limit of games to something quite short - 5, 10, 15 mins. Makes having a quick game much easier and hosts quitting much less of an issue. That was my main gripe with Defcon - good strategic fun, but you need to dedicate an evening to a game.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 pm

I wasn't a very big fan of Defcon... I don't have the patience for drawn out games so only really played quick mode, which really lacks depth compared to a 'long' game of Defcon. Multiwinia is a lot more up my street though, with it's fast paced action. Although I've not actually played it online yet, I'm waiting for the internet to get sorted at my new flat
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:47 am

Buy them both?

Pros:
- Pure win.

Cons:
- You are $45 poorer. ( Unless you consider your software an asset. )
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 pm

To me DEFCON is a controlled Strategic game, like chess, where setting up a good attack might win the game.

Multiwinia is, well chaos in the highest dis-order, especially with the power-ups/Crates some extra toys can really turn the tide of the war in seconds.

I still stuck at both (got better at DEFCON), but the fun I have outweighs the lose of life :)
Covak
level1
level1

Postby Covak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:30 am

I think Multiwinia is a little more strategic than people give it credit for. I wouldn't call it "casual." Against the AI it can be fun and casual, but same for DEFCON. Against a good opponent it's vicious :)

I prefer Multiwinia because it's faster and I love the randomness the crates bring to it. And all the maps and modes are keeping it fresh.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”