Jelco's CERN TWG - Day 10: Internet outage

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Jelco's CERN TWG - Day 10: Internet outage

Postby jelco » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Day 10: Internet outage

Been a long time since the last TWG, so I decided to put up a new one. At the moment it's a placeholder one, and I have no idea how I'm going to implement the theme I came up with on-the-spot just now, but we'll see. :P Signups should be as conspicuous as possible. ;)

The theme isn't an entirely random pick, I'm leaving for CERN tomorrow (as you may already know by my unstoppable bragging) and I'll try to incorporate some elements from that trip into the TWG storytelling. Also note that due to this trip, the TWG will not start before next Friday, and possibly even Saturday due to the story which still has to be written.

Let the black holes begin!

EDIT: Current list of takers:
- Ace Rimmer
- AgentX 24 (locked away)
- bert_the_turtle (behind bars)
- Feud
- Kunshu (tallying days)
- LlamaBoy
- MarvinPA
- Mas (inmate)
- MaximusBrood (jailed)
- mibias
- MikeTheWookiee (incarcerated)
- Nimbus (locked up)
- RabidZombie
- prophile (imprisoned)
- Pox
- shinygerbil
- Shwart!!
- varnabulax (gone)
- zanzer7
- zjoere

Rules

The CERN campus has become secluded due to <insert some weird scenario here>, leaving only 19 people (that's my player count right now) there with the appropriate knowledge to run the machines. It is decided that they will run the LHC even in this situation, but they soon discover they have been infiltrated. The Anti-Doomsday Army wants to prevent the LHC from starting the final apocalypse so they are intent to sabotage equipment on the day of running to destroy the setup and delay the experiments for a few more years if not cancel them.

Each person has a set of keys which leads to the appropriate equipment, and for every piece of equipment there are multiple sets of keys in play. Keys are indistinguishable from each other and thus can be swapped without people noticing.

At night, the ADA members will pick one person from the group to steal keys from, and have to pick one person of their own group to swap the keys with. Within the group, ADA members can swap around keys at night as well. Keys cannot be traded with people in the jail.

On each day, people will discuss possible ADA members and at the end of the day will vote who they lock up in a special room to prevent them from interfering. (This room will not be possible to break out of or something like that, it's just a pacifist equivalent of lynching. ;)) When someone is thrown in this jail, their keys can be taken by one person who has to trade these for his own set of keys. Every person can only trade keys once. Keys cannot be traded if all sets for the same equipment end up in the jail, but if the owner of the last set of keys ends up in jail, keys must be traded. If no-one opts for trading, someone will randomly be picked, regardless of whether they have already traded or not.

The game comes to and end when there are six people left. People will have to man the following equipment, one each:
- LINAC2 entry point
- LINAC3 entry point
- Control desk for LINAC/LEIR/BOOSTER/PS/SPS
- ATLAS
- CMS
- ALICE

(To keep things simple we leave LHCb out of the equation because it is completely different from the others.)

At the end is where everything comes into play, and it is the outcome of this final day that the entire game will decide.
- The person handling the LINACs have to pick the correct tanks to insert (H2 in the LINAC2, ions in the LINAC3)
- The person at the control desk will decide which chain to use (the proton series or ion series)
- The people at each detector's control desk have to decide whether to turn them on or not

How does this all come into play? The idea of the ADA members is to get their own people at certain control points where they can take decisions that can destroy the accelerator/detector complex. This can be done by:
- Inserting protons in the LINAC3 or ions in the LINAC2 and turning on the 'correct' accelerator chain which will damage the injection accelerators
- Turning on the wrong detectors (ATLAS or CMS for ions, ALICE for protons) damaging the detectors

ADA members can communicate with their own lot because they know who they can 'trust', but the good guys aren't that sure of who their allies are. For those people, the following specials come into play:
- Seer: will ask people which side they are in their sleep - sleeping people answer questions truthfully
- Vigilante: can step up once in the game to pick someone himself to throw in the jail
- Guardian Angel: will lock up one person's keys at night to prevent them from being swapped, this also works for ADA members - naturally, if this is applied to an ADA member that person will not be able to swap keys at night
The non-standard specials:
- Keywatcher: Can see which equipment people have keys for at night
- Engineer: Can pick one piece of equipment in the game to put an extra lock on and will give the key for this extra lock to a person he picks. The key can be traded in secret. The Keywatcher can't look at this key and this key cannot be swapped around. If the owner of this key ends up in jail, the key will be given to a person the owner chooses.

All pieces of equipment have 3 sets of keys, except for ALICE and the Control room which will have 4. ALICE gets this special treatment because it is one detector for ions as opposed to two for protons (ATLAS and CMS), the Control room is the only other thing that doesn't have a counterpart.

In case none of the detectors are switched on, the person in charge of a random detector is replaced with the last person who was imprisoned owning a set of keys for that detector. This is repeated until there are no more people left to switch around, until finally the guy at Control gets to pick one detector to switch on.

There is one of each special. You can PM me asking which set of keys you have at any time.

What ADA members need to do at night:
- Each member PMs me a name at night who they want to swap with. If you are swapping with another ADA member, I need to have a PM from both of you.

What the special folks need to do at night:
- Seer: PM me a name of the person you want to scry. If you don't PM, a random person is picked for you.
- GA: PM me a name of the person you want to protect. If you don't PM, a random person is picked for you.
- KW: PM me a name of the person whose keys you want to know about. If you don't PM, a random person is picked for you.

One-time specials:
- Vigi: Call out your identity in the game, and name a person you want to throw into jail, and PM me about your publicness. I will confirm it and end the day as soon as possible.
- Engineer: PM me one of the pieces of equipment at any moment during the game, and the person you want to own the key. You do not need to go public.

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm

I've never been in one of these before. Sign me up.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:16 pm

Let's take on this influx of new kids on the block and show them who's boss (not me)

edit: whatever happened to say something in bold ?

I demand you run this show the old fashioned way !
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:29 pm

I promise I won't start a helium leak or anything.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Where's my crowbar?
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 pm

What rules will this be using?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:40 pm

I'm voting to anihilate the strange quark. I don't like the way it's looking at me. The muon neutrino also should take care, it appears to be trying to fly a bit too low under the radar.
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:41 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:I'm voting to anihilate the strange quark. I don't like the way it's looking at me.

What a charming way of putting it. :P

Nimbus wrote:What rules will this be using?

To be honest, I don't know yet. I'll be writing up the real core when I get back and take the time to write a backstory. However, I don't think it will stray too much from the regular set of rules, except some things might get different names.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:48 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:I'm voting to anihilate the strange quark. I don't like the way it's looking at me.

What a charming way of putting it. :P

That's just wrong. I'm going to Quark's to forget I ever read this.

Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:48 pm

* splode *
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:01 pm

I WILL COLLIDE YOUR HADRONS
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Montyphy wrote:That's just wrong. I'm going to Quark's to forget I ever read this.

You do know about strange and charm quarks, right? And that they annihilate each other when they meet? ;)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm pretty sure it was a joke.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:16 pm

I didn't quite get the 'wrong' part of it though. :P

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:21 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:You do know about strange and charm quarks, right? And that they annihilate each other when they meet?

Are you sure about that? Strange and charm quarks aren't a particle-antiparticle pair and can be combined to make baryons.

(Disclaimer: it's been a loooooong time since I last studied quantum physics)

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I didn't quite get the 'wrong' part of it though. :P

Jelco

Quark based puns/jokes are wrong... so so wrong
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”