Nightmare Creatures TWG: Day 9, Conclusion

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Nightmare Creatures TWG: Day 9, Conclusion

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 am

It's my turn to GM! After a sort-of-prank game and a plain old regular game, I think it's time for something experimental again.

Scenario sketch:
A bunch of humans trapped in a remote location. A powerful curse.

Roles:
- Regular good guys
- Possessed

Special Roles among the Regulars:
- Protector
- Intruder

Day rules are per usual. You vote for one to be lynched. The one you vote for needs to be in bold, red, underlined size 60. Hah, just kidding :) Bold is enough. Ties result in someone being selected randomly among those tied.

Night rules are a bit odd :) Everyone, and I mean everyone, sends me a PM with the name of a person he wishes to dream about. Preferably, you send this PM already during the day, with a secondary choice in case your first choice gets lynched, I'll keep the nights short (two hours max). Dreaming about yourself is not allowed. If you don't send the PM or pick not to dream about anyone in particular, you'll dream of someone random. Everyone also has a one time chance to drink massive amounts of coffee; that makes you inactive at night and also serve as protection against the night kills.

Here comes the Freddy Krueger part. The Possessed ones try to kill the one they dream about, the regular good guys try to protect them. The victim is selected like this:
1. He needs to have the maximal number of Possessed dreaming about him.
2. If 1. does not give a single victim, the victim needs the maximal number of Protectors dreaming about him.
3. In 1. and 2. don't give a single victim, the one with the least amount of non-Protector Regular dreaming about him is picked.
4. Still no single victim? Pick one randomly.

Once the victim is selected, all those who dream about him will share the same dream. They'll all learn who else dreamed about the one they selected (if it's not too many people, your memory may be a bit hazy, you'll be told when that is the case), but of course, they won't learn anything else. If a Protector is among them or the victim drank coffee, nothing else will happen. Otherwise, the victim gets killed by a cruel nightmare. The ones sharing the dream will be informed about it via PM. The victim will not be informed, and there will be no difference between a caffeine save and a Protector save.

An Intruder works like a regular good guy, with one exception: if he dreams about one of the persons who dreams about this night's victim, he'll share his dream, too; to the others, he'll appear as if he also dreamed about the victim.

If you have no interesting dream about the victim, you won't get a PM.

The GM will answer questions (all questions will be answered publicly, not revealing who asked them if they came via PM) about the rules and of course announce results, but otherwise keep out of things completely. Don't expect him to explicitly back you up on something you say, don't expect him to refute false statements about the rules by players on his own initiative. The GM will not interfere with people quoting falsely or correctly from IRC or PMs (yes, even GM PMs, but all GM PMs massively violate the dream NDA), but considers it extremely bad style in general and encourages the players to deal with it accordingly.

The game ends when either the Possessed or the Regulars are wiped out. The surviving side wins.

The game starts with a night, so the first lynching is not just random.

Dead people, as usual, should stay out of the game, apart from one farewell post.

Roles will be assigned randomly, metagaming will not help you.

Roles will not be revealed. You will not even know your own role, you'll need to figure it out yourself. There certainly are multiple Possessed, and probably more than one Intruder (they're weaker than the normal Seer), possibly more than one Protector. That depends on the number of players.

To sign up, as usual, something in bold. Signups will probably close Sunday, and the first night will be an exceptionally long one to give everyone a chance to send their dream wishes. Definitely long enough to get drunk after the Euro Final and make your pick after you sobered up.

The scenario is still flexible; if you have no other suggestions, I'd go for a Teenage Horror Movie Plot thing (high school graduation party in a camp on some island with the boat scheduled to pick you up again only after two weeks and all communication devices mysteriously failing), but you could also be parapsychology experts on a conference in a secluded mountain hotel blocked from the rest of the world by a landslide. Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I like the second one.

Players:
    Ace Rimmer (General Jack Thomson, US Air Force, Surveillance, UFO expert) N8
    AgentX 24 (John) D3
    Dirty Harry Potter (The Bulletproof Protector of the Scroll, why not?) D1
    dunetrooper (Junior Researcher Jay Fredricks) N7
    jelco the galactaboy (The Almost, But Not Quite, Enlightened, Monk, aka The Raven) N2
    Kunshu (Dr. Ingeborg von Zitzewitz) D5, Protector
    MarvinTheParanoidAndroid (The Electric Monk) D7
    Mas Tnega (Herr Doktor Plinthenheimer) D8, Possessed
    MikeTheWookiee (Dr. Peasemould Gruntfuttock) N3, Possessed
    Montyphy (Dr. Vereneseneckockkrockoff, or just Dr. V.) D2
    MrBunsy (Herr Nadel, assistant of Doktor Plinthenheimer) D9, Possessed
    osdeath, replaced by Dirty Harry Potter (Dr. Miramoto Okiwa, Japan, G-Force, Radiologist)
    Phelanpt (Master Chew Yo'own Fat, the Balancer of Weight) N6
    Pox (Dr Von Josef von Goebbels)
    shinygerbil (Dr. Carl Edward Zener, Chicago, Perceptional Psychology) N1
    vanarbulax (The Procrastinator, Monk) N9, Intruder
    walrus47 (The Holder of Waters, Monk) N6 (removed for inactivity)
    Xocrates (Dr. Heimlich von Krieger) D6, Possessed
    ynbniar (The Revelator, Monk) D4, Possessed
    zjoere (Doktor Josef Mengele) N4
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:40 am, edited 49 times in total.
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:18 am

bold, red, underlined, not quite size 60, but italic to make up for it.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:32 am

Me please!

Apart from next Sunday, I'll have access to the internet every day for a few weeks.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:32 am

I'll go for it this time as I'll have plenty of time to waste... I mean spend wisely at work every night for the next two weeks :)
I wasn't here.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:44 am

Sounds interesting maybe I'll have more luck at surviving when people don't know if they are killing me or not. Plus I'll have lots of time on my hands since school's out tomorrow.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:03 am

This sounds mad, but interesting
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:17 am

Added some clarifications, changed a rule about the Intruder (he'll appear to the others as if he dreamed about the victim; in the original version, where he kept hidden, he could install himself as a confirmed Regular) and added a dream NDA, because making dreams public, while probably bad for the one doing the publishing, benefits the Regulars too much.

Also, if no other suggestions come in, I think I'll go for the conference scenario. Lots of wacky scholars have better role playing potential than a bunch of teens.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 am

Can I request that you start on the Monday? Sunday is the day of the Euro final. I'll sign up with something in bold anyway but if you start on the Sunday I will most likely be silent for the first day.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am

Pokemans. That is all.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:40 am

I'm wearing nothing but bold right now.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:08 pm

I dream a little dream of TWG.

Interesting setup. :)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Can you delay the start of this game to Monday afternoon? :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Can you delay the start of this game to Monday afternoon? :P
Sure. In fact, that's the minimum required delay for the "sober up, then dream" delay after the Euro final :)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Great! I'm not signing up yet though, I might be so shattered when I return on Monday that I don't feel like it. :wink:

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Umm, sorry, signups will probably have to close earlier than Monday afternoon. It depends on how many players join. It's unlikely you'll have to make any rational decisions in the first round, so why don't you join up anyway?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”