old topics being bumped *question*

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:39 pm

sfericz wrote:[Editied for misspelling!!]

:D

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Pox
level5
level5
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby Pox » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:01 am

xander wrote:
sfericz wrote:We are still God fearing humans...

I'm not.

xander


Me neither. Stop making me look like a sheep, sfericz. :P
User avatar
MaximusBrood
level4
level4
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:04 am

Postby MaximusBrood » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:02 am

Who the hell is God?
The guy with the beard?
User avatar
vanarbulax
level4
level4
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby vanarbulax » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:14 am

Pox wrote:
xander wrote:
sfericz wrote:We are still God fearing humans...

I'm not.

xander


Me neither. Stop making me look like a sheep, sfericz. :P


Me 2!

*Commits seppuku for the dual sins of "ME 2" post and quote pyramid*
User avatar
Pox
level5
level5
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby Pox » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:38 am

MaximusBrood wrote:Who the hell is God?
The guy with the beard?


Yeah, I think so... he was one of the supporting characters in a Python film, no? ;)
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4795
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 am

Well, I *am* pretty afraid of Cthulhu.
User avatar
sfericz
level5
level5
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:25 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby sfericz » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Ok, ok. Maybe I was wrong about the "God fearing" part. 8)
User avatar
Xarlaxas
level5
level5
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:48 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Postby Xarlaxas » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:00 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Well, I *am* pretty afraid of Cthulhu.


Isn't everyone though?
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:23 am

vanarbulax wrote:
Pox wrote:
xander wrote:
sfericz wrote:We are still God fearing humans...

I'm not.

xander


Me neither. Stop making me look like a sheep, sfericz. :P


Me 2!

*Commits seppuku for the dual sins of "ME 2" post and quote pyramid*


The situation is far worse than we thought, God fearing aliens...

*Locks himself in the basement with a shotgun*
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:42 am

For anyone who wonders why communities are so hard on those who don't type properly, you only need look at this thread and the poster concerned to see why. These people are generally not going to be productive members of the community and are often quite the opposite.


On the original topic, bumping is generally fine as long as something is added (as has been said). It is also better that the poster doing the bumping acknowledge that he is bumping a thread by apologizing ahead of the time (e.g. "Sorry for the bump, but. . .").
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:48 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:(e.g. "Sorry for the bump, but. . .")

In a recent "class" on being a more effective communicator, it was once again pointed out to me that one should refrain from using "but" as in the above example. I'm sure at least some of you here already know that "but" acts as an eraser, essentially making the apology non-existent. :P
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:(e.g. "Sorry for the bump, but. . .")

In a recent "class" on being a more effective communicator, it was once again pointed out to me that one should refrain from using "but" as in the above example. I'm sure at least some of you here already know that "but" acts as an eraser, essentially making the apology non-existent. :P


Heh, it doesn't so much erase as lessen, which is part of the intent. The apology is such a case is not meant so much as an apology as it is a recognition of something. In this case all you are doing is demonstrating you recognize your post is bumping the thread. Just the fact of this recognition can save you from other people calling you out since you are at least aware of your actions.
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:43 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:(e.g. "Sorry for the bump, but. . .")

In a recent "class" on being a more effective communicator, it was once again pointed out to me that one should refrain from using "but" as in the above example. I'm sure at least some of you here already know that "but" acts as an eraser, essentially making the apology non-existent. :P


Heh, it doesn't so much erase as lessen, which is part of the intent. The apology is such a case is not meant so much as an apology as it is a recognition of something. In this case all you are doing is demonstrating you recognize your post is bumping the thread. Just the fact of this recognition can save you from other people calling you out since you are at least aware of your actions.

Well, ignoring the :P in my other post for just a moment, I think you made my point for me. How so? Well, if it's meant as recognition of one's actions rather than a true apology, then it should be stated as such and not put in apologetic form. Therefore, the "but" does in fact erase the apology because it wasn't really there in the first place. :P

In short, replace "Sorry for the bump, but..." with "I know this thread is old and bumping may seem unnecessary, however I'd like you to consider..." or some variation thereof. :P

I rest my case. :lol:
User avatar
vanarbulax
level4
level4
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby vanarbulax » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 am

A simple "Sorry for bumping this thread. [Insert useful input]" would suffice. A but implies that you don't consider what you said to be valid. A simple sorry on its own is recognition that you are doing something which shouldn't normally do, it is then up to the reader to decide if it was worth it or not (And then flame is need be).
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5
Posts: 11553
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:44 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I think you made my point for me. How so? Well, if it's meant as recognition of one's actions rather than a true apology, then it should be stated as such and not put in apologetic form. Therefore, the "but" does in fact erase the apology because it wasn't really there in the first place.


False or preemptive apologies are quite common in Western culture. I don't see any problem with using them in this way.

Ace Rimmer wrote:In short, replace "Sorry for the bump, but..." with "I know this thread is old and bumping may seem unnecessary, however I'd like you to consider..." or some variation thereof.


You could say that but it is rather long-winded.



vanarbulax wrote:A simple "Sorry for bumping this thread. [Insert useful input]" would suffice. A but implies that you don't consider what you said to be valid. A simple sorry on its own is recognition that you are doing something which shouldn't normally do, it is then up to the reader to decide if it was worth it or not (And then flame is need be).


I think that's part of the point. You wouldn't be bumping the thread if you thought you were wrong to do so. Thus the apology isn't really an apology, so the "but" serves a useful purpose by signaling this meaning.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests